OUR IMAGES

"Kakadu Crystal" Cymbidium Orchid - 2015

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default "Kakadu Crystal" Cymbidium Orchid - 2015

Post by Joy on Thu 21 May 2015, 2:11 pm

By sheer chance I saw this wonderfully well-established flower spear growing on the "Kakadu Crystal" cymbidium orchid. This was the one which lost its spear last year to the lawn xontractor's whippersnipper. Grr. Glad to see this one is so well advanced. Shall move it onto the patio for protection.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: "Kakadu Crystal" Cymbidium Orchid - 2015

Post by Joy on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:19 pm

Moved the "Kakadu Crystal" cymbidium orchid from where it was sitting as I still hadn't moved it & the lawn contractor had arrived so I was worried his whippersnipper would damage the flower spear as before. Lo & behold!! There was a second flower spear!! This one had grown into a confined space so it was bent at the end & the top flower is also damaged. Wonder why I hadn't noticed it before, but, then again, the other flower spear had already grown substantially when I first saw it.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:20 pm

"Kakadu Crystal" cymbidium orchid taken while holding the leaves back. Not easy I might say. The pot is also tending to topple over as all the greenery is on one side of the pot.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 6:09 pm

:smile: great  Joy ! yes not easy trying to take photos with one hand is it ? well done !!!!  they are very clear, no shake there at all.

:bounce:  whoo hoo a beautiful Orchid to see very soon
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 12 Jun 2015, 8:59 am

Thanks, Dawn.  :smile: We were thrilled to see the two flower spears & it was all the plant's own doing as I cannot take any credit for this whatsoever. Have been neglecting our two cymbidiums dreadfully.  :blush2: :oops:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 12 Jun 2015, 5:46 pm

just shows they don't like smothering or mothering  :clap: :cool3:. I look forward to them coming out x
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 10:17 am

That's why cymbidiums are the orchid for me, Dawn.  :lol3: I don't have your talent for growing other beautiful orchids, although any native Australian ones might also be the go for me. If I had the room.  :laugh:

We actually live north of the ideal growing spot for cymbidiums. Something to do with not being cold enough here at night but seems my pair don't mind. The natives might do okay as they are happier with warmer night temps. Oh well, not at the moment.  :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 6:26 pm

Love your Cymbidiums Joy !

I truly recommend anyone trying to source what is called a "Cook Town" (common name) Orchid ! they are the most rewarding Orchids. They take a fair amount of neglect and really I mean neglect. They flower regularly with very little fuss. They eventually get bracts that reach to the ground from quite a height. If I could find one here I would get it in a flash, it would be the only house plant I would be prepared to collect in moving all over they way we do. LOVE them 

I can't get a link for one of mine to show up here. However this is your Cymbidium thread so don't think I should :)
    granny

Post by granny on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 4:01 am

:smile:  Going to be beautiful Joy!!  About how long do I have to wait to see them open?

Cook town orchids sound wonderful Dawn!  I do not have a green thumb at all.

:hello: :hello2:  Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 10:26 am

Dawn wrote:Love your Cymbidiums Joy !

I truly recommend anyone trying to source what is called a "Cook Town" (common name) Orchid ! they are the most rewarding Orchids. They take a fair amount of neglect and really I mean neglect. They flower regularly with very little fuss. They eventually get bracts that reach to the ground from quite a height. If I could find one here I would get it in a flash, it would be the only house plant I would be prepared to collect in moving all over they way we do. LOVE them 

I can't get a link for one of mine to show up here. However this is your Cymbidium thread so don't think I should :)

Thanks, Dawn. No doubt the Cooktown orchid would be as hardy as the residents of Cooktown, Queensland, are. :lol2:  The Cooktown orchids in the wild would have to cope with torrential rain, measuring in feet not inches, during the "wet" season (our summer) & drought in the "dry" (our winter). They are a species of dendrobiums although it has had a species name change to vappodes phalaenopsis for some reason.  :smile: Had a look through your Orchids topic but didn't find any Cooktown orchids named as such, perhaps they were one of your dendrobiums.  :D You are more than welcome to post a pic of them.  :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 10:56 am

granny wrote::smile:  Going to be beautiful Joy!!  About how long do I have to wait to see them open?

Cook town orchids sound wonderful Dawn!  I do not have a green thumb at all.

:hello: :hello2:  Granny

Thanks Granny.  :smile: Have absolutely no idea how long it will be before they open. Think the buds will have to get a bit bigger yet & they do develop quite slowly. Guess we will have to be patient.  :laugh:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 5:58 pm

If you have a warmer spell than normal I think that will boost the budding time and they will come out quick :) . I found mine depended on how warm it was as to how quick the buds bloomed . Should be quick as you don't get winter weather  ? hehehe  :sun:
    granny

Post by granny on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 2:37 am

:smile:  Thanks joy and Dawn!  I hope it is quick!

Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 11:33 am

Thanks Dawn & Granny.  :smile: Apparently cymbidiums like night minimums of 10°C or less during winter. We have had some nights like that but lately our night minimums have been warmer with temps in the 14/15°C range. Can't say how long these flowerbuds will take to open as they weren't even discovered until they were well on the way.  :laugh:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 9:06 am

Well our Cymbidium "Kakadu Crystal" flowers are open & the two flower spears are here with me at hospital. They are looking stunning. Did take some photos but my eyes aren't so good ATM. Won't be able to post the pics until I return home. Sorry Granny.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 1:55 pm

HI FOLKS DOING STUFF with the OT. Sorry about the caps.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 24 Jul 2015, 5:19 am

Nothing wrong with the caps  it helps me to see better Joy ! So happy to hear you have your flowers with you and being able to see them ! Look forward to the photos when you are able to post. 

Yes it would be great to see Granny soon ! I guess she is busy busy , life has a way of getting in the way sometimes :) xx lotsa Love Joy. You may not see me for a while I have been away and am soon to go again, unfortunately I have problems with Wifi when I am away. I will post some pics soon of a garden centre I went to while I was away. :O omw !! they had the most amazing begonias.  I am going to try and get me some when I move and I am settled !  see ya later  xxx
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 24 Jul 2015, 8:32 am

Don't know what further assessments & therapy they have in store for me today. Do fear they already think I have the brain of a Brussels sprout.  :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:25 am

Here are he pics I took of the "Kakadu Crystal" Cymbidium orchid. Turned out much better than I thought they would. 
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:33 am

Images of the "Kakadu Crystal" Cymbidium orchid flowers taken in my room at the Ballina hospital's Rehabilitation unit.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:33 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:34 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:36 am

Bear in mind when these were taken I could not see through the optical view finder. 

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:37 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:37 am

Current date/time is Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:14 pm