Glad E Olah

default The 2015 Garden

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 03 Mar 2015, 1:32 pm

Squash varieties

another with basket protector

sweet peas

another of the sweet peas

strawberries one plant divided into over 8

tomato varieties to left to right brussel sprouts, cabbage and peppers not up yet
    Glad E Olah

default Re: The 2015 Garden

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm

As promised:

A few pictures.  The strawberries now have coffee cans around them (rabbits got into the plants the first night) and today son put plastic over for protection of frost the next few nights.

The making of the strawberry patch.

Strawberries planted.

(please note that most forums will have this same generic post to save me some time...and thank you for the comments!)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

What a well thought out design & construction your son has made for your front yard, Glad. It is fanrastic. He is very talented. I'll bet your are all looking forward to the beautiful tasty & sweet strawberries you will get to pick later in summer. They will always be much better than bought ones which appear to be picked too early & are often sour. 

Congratulations to you & your son. Thank you so much for posting these pics.  :D
    granny

Post by granny on Sat 28 Mar 2015, 4:30 am

:smile: The strawberry patch looks wonderful Glad!
                    :clap:  Granny
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 5:05 am

Thanks!

As promised a few pictures.  Camera acted up so I didn't get to download all that I tried to take.  Son says it may be the battery.

Grape Arbhor

Blueberries

View from end of yard looking toward house

Potatoes

Kiwi like plant

The Kiwi like plant going to make this year

Mint

Lettuce, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli etc
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:26 am

My word, you have been busy in your veggie garden, Glad. It looks fantastic!! You are going to have a wonderful time harvesting all your produce & deservedly so. 

Thank you for sharing these great images with us. Do hope it is just the batteries that stopped the download.  :D

Post by Guest on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 3:24 pm

Your garden is looking really good Glad,lots of work gone in there.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 3:59 pm

Thanks BBilly and Joy.

When I go shopping I will purchase new batteries.  They are the rechargeable kind.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

Yes, Glad, we only use rechargeable batteries, especially as we have so many things that require batteries. Wireless keyboards, wireless mouses (many), touch pad (for me as I don't use a mouse  :lol3:), cameras, kitchen clock, smoke alarm, remotes etc...  Our cameras use four batteries each.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 07 May 2015, 11:01 pm

We are eating lettuce, radishes, spinach and onions now.  So good!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 08 May 2015, 2:10 pm

Already!?! Your garden is doing so well, Glad. Good for you!!  :yes:

Post by Guest on Fri 08 May 2015, 4:31 pm

Great job Glad.
    granny

Post by granny on Fri 08 May 2015, 6:04 pm

:hi: Glad.   Wonderful start to your garden.  Sound like you can make a great salad already.   
    What a great garden! :clap:
                     :hello:  Granny
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 20 May 2015, 2:48 pm

I could not find rechargable batteries anywhere and the camera just would not take pictures without new batteries.

So next thing to do was purchase a new camera.  Not the cheapest thing for me but I wanted pictures. I found one on clearance which helped.  Hopefully tomorrow if no rain I can get pictures of the garden.  We just got the camera today and it is ready to go.  Now to learn how to use it.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 May 2015, 3:26 pm

Gee, that's not good being unable to get rechargeable batteries for your camera, Glad. They must be a special type. Mine uses four AA batteries which are readily found. Good luck with the new camera, It will be fun to learn how to use.  :smile:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 21 May 2015, 11:55 am

Son said we could use regular batteries but they would not last very long.  Anyway the camera had other issues being it was 10 years old.

It rained all day today so I did not have a chance to get any pictures.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 May 2015, 2:44 pm

Digital cameras have improved in leaps & bounds in 10 years, haven't they Glad. Your new one will have so many different features & quality of photos. Looking forward to seeing the results.  :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 22 May 2015, 11:20 am

Well it took some doing but here are a few new pictures.  I had problems learning the new camera.  It took 4 pictures then told me I was out of memory.  You would think I could take more than 4.  So I get in the truck to take the camera back and was in tears.  I tear up easily these days when things do not go well for me.  They were willing to refund the money but asked me to go back to the camera dept and talk with them back there. Come to find out the person who sold me the camera did not tell me it needed a memory card.  So for another $10 I purchase a card.  Came home and took 15 pictures and will show you some.  The garden does not look all that different that other years but will post them anyway for you.

close up of the Kiwi Like plant....fruit is coming along.

a couple of cabbage

garlic and some green beans in the block holes as an experiment

Beets and far down more of those beans....son thinned them out and put the extra in the blocks.  To the right is one cucumber plant that was grown inside.  It has a tiny cuke on it.

Mint

Lettuce surrounding the cages and pole beans are coming up in the middle to climb the cages.

Nice ground cover in front and potatoes in the back.  Another experiment....the milk jugs each have a corn plant.

In front are volunteer tomatoes that son transplanted.  We do not know what variety they are until we get closer to harvest time.

Kale, onions, a few yellow beans and one zucchini plant.  More squash to come.

close up of that cucumber
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 May 2015, 3:23 pm

Well done with the photos, Glad. :yes:  The person who sold you the camera was very remiss, indeed, in not telling you of the need for a SD card. My in-camera memory is about 14-17 pics depending on number of pixels in each photo but I don't use that, just use the cards. I have a 2GB one which holds several hundreds of pics as well as movies but my main SD card is a giant 64GB card which holds many thousands of stills as well as several movies. Have never run out of room yet.   :lol3:

Your garden is looking fabulous, so lush & green. Very productive & healthy looking. It's doing you proud. Great idea to use the blocks as growing spaces too. Most useful.

Many thanks or taking these great pictures, I'm quite envious of your prowess in growing such wonderful produce.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 22 May 2015, 4:38 pm

Thank you Joy. 

As time goes by will show the onions that are growing in the blocks.  They are just coming up through the ground.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 May 2015, 4:54 pm

Another good reason to use these blocks, Glad, is that they can protect certain plants from being overwhelmed by more intrusive plants or even to keep these types of more vigorous growing plants under some sort of control.

Post by Guest on Fri 22 May 2015, 5:32 pm

Pleased you got the camera sorted Glad,  but very bad the the sales person didn't know his job.

The garden is looking really good now with a real multitude of plants.
    granny

Post by granny on Fri 22 May 2015, 6:50 pm

:hi: Glad,  So sorry you had trouble with your new camera,  but you are taking wonderful pictures with it now!   :good:  Your garden looks so good.
                           :hello:  Granny
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 23 May 2015, 12:47 am

Thank you BBilly, Granny and Joy.

I need to take a picture or two of the front yard where the strawberries were planted.  They were a struggle for either it was too cold when planted or the rabbits ate the leaves.  Son planted onions all around and apparently rabbits and squirrels do not like onions.  The strawberry plants are coming out and beginning to get runners.  I don't look for berries until next year.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 23 May 2015, 10:52 am

What a great idea with the onions, Glad. You do have a very smart son. There are many such companion plantings but had never heard of using onion plants in such a way. Of course, we don't have squirrels & rabbits aren't a problem where we are but they are a major problem elsewhere in Australia so such a tip is handy to know. 

Lovely fresh strawberries will be something for you to look farward to.  :D

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:40 pm