OUR IMAGES

Carpet Roses

Dawn

default Carpet Roses

Post by Dawn on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 5:20 pm

These roses were planted two years ago. Despite the label saying they are non fussy, need less water and little feeding, plus little or no pruning they did not do well in their first spot. I moved them last season and voila they are growing out all over the place. They are a ground cover variety and low growing so I put them in large planters. But they have started to grow long shoots up. I was in a bit of a dilemma as to whether to prune these shoots off to encourage them to grow out and over the pot or not?. But they are not supposed to be pruned according to instructions as this will apparently set them back?? what to do!!!
    I have now decided I will just leave them to grow all uneven, as the shoots have lots of flowers and are giving colour to this part of my front patio.
    Dawn

default Re: Carpet Roses

Post by Dawn on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 5:20 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 5:21 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 5:22 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 5:22 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 19 Dec 2009, 10:58 am

What a beautiful coloured rose, Dawn. Haven't heard of this type of rose before. Not that that means anything as I am such newcomer to rose growing.

That appears to be a good sized barrel they are in, too. If the instructions said not to prune, I would let the plant do what it wants to do. :lol: Those tall branches look just like sprays of blooms. Wonderful. Thanks for showing them to us. :cheers:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 19 Dec 2009, 4:52 pm

I also loved the colour when I bought them Joy, glad you like them.The pink is a very pretty pink. I also love the look of a dogrose or a wood rose, that open variety. It appeals to my romantic side

Also, when I saw the label and it said little feeding, little water,no pruning.
    I had to have them, they weren't very expensive either. Oh I nearly forgot it also said disease resistant , and have really lived up to that. I haven't had to spray them at all when the other roses all had aphids on them it was totally free of aphids and I have not had a problem with black spot, the leaves always shiny and green, despite the wind.
    The one is in a half wine barrel and the other is in a ceramic planter, they are very big containers. They said they grow outwards as they are a groundcover so to plant them in a wide container. Looking at the photos again they need to be dead headed
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 19 Dec 2009, 8:44 pm

What a fantastic rose for rose newbies, such as me. Trouble is, once someone was used to all that easy care, the "normal" needy rose would be a shock. :lol: :lol:

We have our kentia palm in half a wine barrel but it is one of those large plastic ones. Bruiser used to use it as a cooling tank for the freshly caught, & then cooked, prawns, when he had the trawler.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 4:08 pm

A bit before I went away, I pruned the carpet roses quite severely and fed them the organic rose food. That food is brilliant.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 4:08 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 4:30 pm

They look gorgeous, Dawn. Have definitely responded well to your pruning & feeding TLC. Love it when plants do so well. They have a wonderful spot on your patio, too.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 5:03 pm

They did come up nicely didnt they Joy! thanks

This front piece of patio paving is very hot in summer Joy, I have to watch things don't dry out too much. But the roses love the heat, so long as I water every day.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 5:09 pm

It does seem to be prime rose territory as they are doing so well, Dawn. We don't have anywhere which gets all day sun, unfortunately.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 4:51 pm

A latest pic of the Carpet rose, it has grown a little.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 5:17 pm

It certainly has grown, Dawn & looks absolutely gorgeous. :love: Love the colour. :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 7:00 pm

Thanks Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 8:54 pm

:smile: Do these carpet roses benefit from a good pruning, Dawn?? :)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 7:43 pm

I don't know Joy as the care label said little or no pruning and less food than a normal rose, but they grew all haphazardly so I cut them back and then fed the rose food to them at the same time. So I am not sure which was the culprit although I suspect the food made them bounce back. The pruning definately helped their shape though.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 8:34 pm

It does appear to be the type of plant that could benefit from a bit of a prune, Dawn. Think you probably did it a favour on two counts. :bravo: :lol2: It certainly does look good. :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 9:50 pm

Thanks Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 9:54 pm

:smile: :sun:

Post by Guest on Sat 22 Oct 2011, 6:30 pm

Does anyone know if you can grow white carpet roses from cuttings?
    And what time of the year?
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm

Welcome to the APG Gerrell.

I am sorry Gerrell, I don't know if you can ?. I bought mine as established plant.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:30 pm

Most roses can be grown from cuttings, Gerrell & you can only try with some cuttings.

The best time to grow from cuttings would be early spring. As with all plant cuttings, I would cut the bottom of the 10cm or 4in stem at an angle, scrape a small strip of the stem's skin, to about 1/4 in, in a couple of places. This is to encourage the growth of more roots along the side of the stem. Dip it into some rooting hormone powder or gel, & plant in a pot of normal, well draining potting mix. Some use the special cutting potting mix but I have not found that to be necessary for any cuttings I have grown. Just make sure the cuttings are kept well watered & start fertilising when the leaves start to show.

The rose cuttings I have seen, have had all the leaves stripped off the cuttings & this is what I had to do with my hibiscus cuttings. So it probably would be a good idea to do this or leave a couple of leaves at the top.

Best of luck.

Post by Guest on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:56 am

Hi! I'm new here.
    The carpet rose was the first rose I ever tried. It's an apple blossom rose that I planted 4 years ago in a wooden bucket. I got it in memory of a friend's grandson who was born with a hole in his heart. His name was Rudy (that's what I call my rose). Unfortunately, he didn't make it, but that rose lives on in his memory. After 2 years, when they came to put the fencing up, I had to move it. I went to pick up the bucket and it had grown through the bucket and the roots were in the ground. :O I moved it into a space in the ground and it's doing great now. I prune it twice a year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:36 pm