OUR IMAGES

The Clarence Valley - NSW - Australia

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: The Clarence Valley - NSW - Australia

Post by Joy on Fri 26 Sep 2014, 4:11 pm

An older two-storeyed house on the Pacific Highway at Ulmarra.
    granny

Post by granny on Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:34 pm

Wow!!  Great pictures!!  Will be back, to look at again real soon!
    :hello: Granny
    granny

Post by granny on Sun 28 Sep 2014, 3:56 am

:donald:It didn't take me long to come back. :lol3:  Can't stay away from your pictures long.
         Ulmarra is a beautiful old town.  It was wonderful to see all the old buildings.  I think my favorite was the old hotel or pub.  Funny how there is more scroll work and detail on old building then on most new one.  The two story house was very nice.
         Great to see the pictures of the red cedar tree.   (I was afraid there wasn't many still standing today.)  Very large tree and so different then the cedar trees I see here.
         I kept looking at the little garden space in picture 17, and thinking how much different it would look if you had your green thumb working on it.  I did like their little pavers sidewalk and little picket fence.
        In picture 20, it was so cute the way they put the sign up on it side. :rofl:
         What is chemist supplies?  ( 22)  Is that like my drug store, where you get your medicine?  I need to visit their hairdresser. 

Thanks so much Joy for taking all the .  I enjoyed them all!! 
      My happy dance!
              :hello: Granny

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 28 Sep 2014, 3:18 pm

Many thanks Granny.  :smile: Ulmarra isn't very big & only has a population of about 450. It is squashed between the Clarence River & the Pacific Highway. The old pubs do have what is known as "iron lace" decoration same as houses & shops from the late 19th century. The Ulmarra pub's "iron lace" is painted a dark colour which makes it harder to see in that pic due to the overcast conditions. (It had been raining). Think the place you referred to in post no 17 was a cafe or a shop of some description. Maybe on sunny days they have tables out on the grassed area. Hard to know as there was no sign there but the door was wide open. 

Yes, a chemist or pharmacy is the shop where you go to get your prescriptions filled & to buy related stuff much like your drug stores. It was a quiet day there as it was a Sunday & businesses such as chemists & hairdressers are closed. Newsagent would have been open in the morning for the Sunday papers.
    granny

Post by granny on Sun 28 Sep 2014, 10:54 pm

:good:  Thanks so much!  A nice little town.
               :hello2:  Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 7:29 am

Still more pics of the Clarence Valley to come, Granny.  :yes: :D
    granny

Post by granny on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 3:02 am

:smile:  Great!!  Looking forward to more pictures! 
             :cool:  Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:42 am

Along this section of the Pacific Highway there are these seemingly permanent water reservoirs. There are causeways across them to allow access to the properties on the other side. Think it is the exposed water table.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:44 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:45 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:45 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:46 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:48 am

These images were taken out of the passenger's side window while travelling at 100kph!!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:54 am

Further north & we were Bdriving behind a long load fuel tanker, with double tanks, in heavy rain on the Pacific Highway. We passed it & the view was, thankfully, much improved.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:28 pm

This wattle flowered after the golden wattle had finished. It is not as yellow but still looks striking & was flowering all along this part of the Pacific Highway in early September.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:29 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:30 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:31 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:31 pm

granny

Post by granny on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:20 am

:smile: Wow!  Great pictures Joy.   :lol:  What beautiful farm land.  I liked the water running in front.  Is there fish in the water or was I just seeing plants?
         Oh my goodness!  What a hard rain when you were behind the gas truck.  I bet the frogs were even hunting a dry spot.
      I don't see how Bruce could see to drive.
         The wattle trees were still real pretty.
         :photos:  Thank you so much for posting them.
              :excited: Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:18 am

There could well be freshwater fish in the water, Granny, as there are waterbirds there at times. Definitely would be eels. Have seen ducks there too as there seems to be plenty of water grasses & plants in those billabongs. In times of severe drought they would probably dry out.

All the pics from Ulmarra to the last of the wattle pics were taken on the same drive home so the deluge was from a "scattered" shower.  :lol3: Bruce has driven skilfully through even worse downpours. Terrifying as they were at the time.  :bravo:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:51 pm

Harwood and Ulmarra are really nice looking towns Joy ! love all the filigree on the patio overhangs. Everything is so neat and clean looking. I love the Ulmarra Hotel it is a gorgeous little building , and , ...I know I keep saying this but it reminds me of place back in my childhood ! those pics made me have a serious bout of nostalgia.  :good: :photos: thanks so much for showing them to us !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 22 Oct 2014, 4:24 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :D My pleasure. Harwood & Ulmarra are both very small villages situated on the banks of the Clarence River. Many of these towns were much bigger in the early days & were ports for the shipping that travelled up & down the river. Now they have shrunk since that activity has ended & are tiny farming/fishing towns with some tourist trade. The Ulmarra pub is right on the banks of the river. 

The 'iron lace' was very popular a hundred years ago & (now) very expensive terraces in posh Sydney suburbs are beautifully agorned with it as are many older pubs. 

Have a few more images of Harwood to post (eventually).  :blush2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 22 Oct 2014, 5:57 pm

Thank you for the history story. If one considers the way of the world and expansion of towns due to population increase etc it is refreshing to hear that a place has actually become smaller, as a result not losing its original charm.  I hope it is not soon that too much tourism discover it, it may have potential for bringing the cities stress to the area. Yes,  the Iron lace is very costly to replicate now. But it is so attractive. When the Harwood images arrive I will look forward to seeing. Thanks Joy ! :)

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm