OUR IMAGES

Growing Adenium Obesum From Seeds

Dawn

default Re: Growing Adenium Obesum From Seeds

Post by Dawn on Sat 03 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm

:wow: where did you get those seeds lucky you Joy !!!! did you get them from your plant ?, oooh such lovely fat little babies , I am envious :) they are brilliant !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 10:00 am

Thanks Dawn,  :) Yes, they are seeds from our adenium obesum who is now, officially, a 'parent'.  :lol3: The pics of its huge seedpod are here Adenium Obesum Seedpod as well a pic on the 1st page of this thread.

Still have a gazillion seeds from the other half of the pod. Don't think I shall get around to trying to see if they will germinate. No more room.  :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 2:42 pm

These baby adenium obesum seedlings are growing well.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 2:43 pm

Even the slow-to-grow potted adenium obesum seedlings are showing some growth.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 10:37 am

Gave two of the potted seedlings away a few months ago so we now have nine seedlings. Here are pics to show just how much they have grown in three & 1/2 months. 

Adenium obesum seedlings very slowly growing. The adenium obesum on the right has started to grow branches. Has been like this for a few months now. 
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 10:38 am

These adenium obesum seedlings desperately need potting.
    granny

Post by granny on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 2:36 am

:clap: Wow!!  Amazing Joy.  They are beautiful and growing so fast.
                :good: Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 9:17 am

Thanks Granny.  :smile: Our babies are still doing well. So far......  :lol2:
    granny

Post by granny on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 2:50 am

:think2:  When will they have the beautiful flowers?  :think: The plant itself is so amazing it doesn't matter if they have flowers!
                 :cu:  Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:33 am

Think the adenium obesum plants will have to grow much bigger than they are, Granny, before they will flower. :yes:  They are only small right now & don't think they'll grow much during these colder months ahead. Did read where it was claimed they will flower after a year but this was the same site which said the seeds would germinate in five days!! Which never happened!!  :no:  :lol2:

Yes, they are an amazing plant anyway, with their beautiful flowers being a plus. In SE Asia they are grown for their strange caudex,
    granny

Post by granny on Sat 02 May 2015, 2:59 am

:lol2:  Maybe flowers next summer!
                    :rofl: Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 02 May 2015, 9:13 am

They'll have to do a great deal of growing by then. Granny.  :yes: It will be a lovely surprise if that did happen.  :bravo:

Too wet on the ground outside, at the moment, for me to measure them but they are only a few inches tall right now. Do think they will have to be about 30-45cms tall before being big enough to flower.  :good:
    granny

Post by granny on Tue 05 May 2015, 3:47 am

:lol2:  Maybe I will have to wait  little longer.  I will not rush things.  Going to be worth the wait. :rofl:
                     :lol: Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 05 May 2015, 2:41 pm

Yes, Granny, we shall just have to be patient, I guess.  :smile: :yes: Although I am getting rather impatient waiting for my babies to grow up.  :laugh:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 4:08 pm

Our adenium obesum seedlings have been so neglected it's a miracle they are still okay. So it was a shock when I saw this very first flower. It has taken 1 year & 9 months since the seeds were planted. There is some leaf yellowing from a lack of fertiliser. :blush2: . The water drops on them in this pic are actually from giving them some fertiliser. Do hope that will give them a boost. They all need repotting too. When we have more energy.....  :lol3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 1:06 pm

The first flower on one of the adenium obesum seedlings has opened & it is perfect.

The potted seedlings already need repotting as they're potbound. As for the ones in the seedling trays they're a must for potting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 12:51 pm