OUR IMAGES

New Fuchsia Cuttings

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default New Fuchsia Cuttings

Post by Joy on Thu 11 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm

Have finally taken some cuttings from our beautiful fuchsia. Has been a while since I have done this. The plants were fading fast & there weren't many decent cuttings to choose from, unfortunately.. Have my fingers & toes crossed, hoping these will survive & thrive. 

It is getting a bit warm for fuchsias in our climate as they seem to do better if cuttings are taken in autumn & allowed to grow through winter. Here's hoping!!  :lol3:
    granny

default Re: New Fuchsia Cuttings

Post by granny on Thu 11 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

:smile:  No worries!  I can see it growing.  
             Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 12 Sep 2014, 7:32 am

Thanks Granny.  :D They still look okay this morning but still a while to go.  :luck:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 2:55 pm

Nine days later & all five fuchsia cuttings are still with us. The one on the top left is the only one that looks a bit "unwell" but it hasn't wilted completely, as yet &, probably, would have done so by now if it was going to. Fingers crossed.  :luck:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 2:57 pm

A second pot of fuchsia cuttings. These were done two days ago & no sign of wilting as yet. Again, fingers are crossed. Today I have made up a third pot with five fuchsia cuttings & hopefully, they, too, will survive. Double fingers crossed.  :luck: :luck:   :cool4:

granny

Post by granny on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 7:31 pm

How long does it take for the roots to fully develop?  Do you use a special soil?  How deep are the cuttings in the soil? :blush2:
                  Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:34 am

Looking back at the pics of previous fuchsia cuttings (these are fourth generation cuttings) Granny, it seems as though they take about a month before they begin to get established. These new ones have woodier stems so it might take them longer plus they are smaller. The first cuttings started flowering within 2 months. 

I use a good quality potting mix, never ordinary garden soil (not that we have any  :lol3:) for the cuttings, poke a small hole into the soil with a chopstick, dip the leaf-free stem into root strike powder & place into the hole almost up to its bottom leaves, then make sure the soil is pushed back into the hole. Have found I get the best results if I remove the leaves up to the last whorl of two or three with also new tiny leaves appearing at the top. The stem inserted is about 1 or 1 & 1/2inches long. This fuchsia is more of a miniature so everything about it is smaller than normal fuchsias. 

THEN, I keep my fingers crossed & water them everyday for the next few days to enable the potting mix to become well-hydrated. The one I have at the moment has water crystals in it so after making sure the soil is fully hydrated they won't need as much watering. I hope!!  :lol:  :luck: :whistle:

The third pot of fuchsia cuttings. Have put five cuttings in this pot & they were planted yesterday.

granny

Post by granny on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 2:39 am

:thankyou: A month want be long to see how quick they grow. :good:
        I wonder if your plant get moisture from the ocean. :yacht:
                :hello: Granny

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:02 am

Normally, our climate is really humid, Granny, due to the influence of the ocean but at the moment it is relatively dry. Other than that my plants would not get any moisture from the ocean apart from salt spray which is not so good for them (except for the Brazilian Walking irises). It's up to me to water them. :blush2:   Most also miss out on any rain as well,  :roll:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:35 am

All of these fuchsia cuttings have survived. Interestingly, the ones that get the most sun are not thriving as well as those in the shade. These were planted 35 days ago.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:36 am

Three of the four fuchsia cuttings here survived. It was the cutting that received the most sun which didn't survive. These were planted 28 days ago.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:37 am

There were originally five fuchsia cuttings planted in this pot about 25 days ago. Again it was the one that received the most sun which did not survive. We now have twelve fuchsia cuttings growing nicely.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:35 am

Some of our fuschia cuttings have started having flowers. Here they are all drenched from the heavy rain from the trough preceding the Tropical Cyclone Marcia leftovers.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:36 am

Drooping down from the weight of the rain.
    granny

Post by granny on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 12:21 am

:good:  The fuschia cuttings are beautiful Joy!  They have grown so fast.  Hope all your plant did as well with all the rain.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 7:01 am

Thanks, Granny.  :smile: The plants that did get the rain appear happy. Not all are so lucky as our patios are under cover. It was only the plants that were near the edges of the patios that received a free watering of rainwater.  :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 Feb 2015, 10:20 am

The parts of the fuchsia that were drooping with the weight of the raindrops quickly bounced back.

granny

Post by granny on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 5:21 am

:good:  Beautiful Joy!  I believe the fuchsia enjoyed the rain.  Great picture,  love the shadows of the plant. :clap:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 10:55 am

Thanks, Granny.  :D Yes, I liked the shadows which is why I used that shot. Usually, I take three pics at a minimum of each view (except when we are travelling in the car when I'm lucky to get even one.  :lol3:) & that one was the only one which showed the shadow. It's so clear too.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 2:12 pm

A flower & some buds on the Fuchsia cuttings.
    granny

Post by granny on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 2:10 am

Beautiful Joy!  :smile: It seems like only yesterday that you were planting the cuttings.
                    :good: Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:41 am

Thanks, Granny.  :smile: The fuchsias look a bit sparse in their growth at the moment, although they do have plenty of flowers. They will, hopefully, grow better during our autumn & winter as our summer is too warm for them.  :hot!:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 6:09 am