OUR IMAGES

Big Seas

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Big Seas

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 8:23 am

An east coast low was causing strong winds, heavy rain & large surf. The seas weren't quite so large & powerful when these videos were taken but were still fairly dangerous. The wind was stronger than the tree movement indicates & was really buffeting me while I was taking the movies. This caused the occasional jerkiness, especially when using the zoom to take the movie of the bar, even though I was using a fence to steady the camera.

The first section of this movie shows the seas pounding the bar at the entrance to the esturine river of our village. (This was taken, looking up the river to the bar about a kilometre away, using full zoom on my camera.) The dark brown of the water is due to freshwater runoff from the wetlands. It is locally called tea water because of its colour. There will be no one heading out to sea today or the next few days for that matter.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

granny

default Re: Big Seas

Post by granny on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 11:26 pm

This is my shocked face!  That was definately more then a white cap!!
         I couldn't believe there was guys out  :fish: fishing in all that wind. :wow:  It looked like a dangerous place to be with the huge waves. 
         :think2:  Wondering how they protect their boats when the waves or so bad.  If they were in a harbor it look like they would still take a beating.
         Did you take the video at high tide?  It looked like the beach was completely covered in water.
      Thank you so much for going out in all that wind and making the video!!  It was wonderful.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Aug 2014, 10:07 am

Thanks Granny.  :smile:  Glad you enjoyed it. :thanks: The guy you saw fishing was quite safe as he & others were fishing off the North Wall which runs out from the land by Main Beach. No boat needed. They were fishing for jewfish AKA mulloway as this fish love these conditions.  :fish:

The Boat Harbour is further up the river & is very sheltered from the sea. Anyone could safely fish off a boat up the river, although no one bothered due to all the brackish tea water runoff in the river.  The best way to protect your boat in such conditions is to leave it tied up in its pen.  :laugh:

It was low tide when I took those videos but Shark Bay, especially, tends to look covered when viewed from Razorback Lookout. Both beaches would look covered during such weather, even at low tide, due to storm surges which push the waves up the beaches.
    granny

Post by granny on Sun 31 Aug 2014, 4:48 am

Thanks again for the video and info.  Wonderful!!  You get two thumbs up.
                   Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:37 am

:thankyou: :blush:  My pleasure Granny.  :cool4: :good:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 01 Sep 2014, 6:21 pm

.....what heavy seas Joy ! and I  love your credits at the end :) * star of the show * is  "east coast low " :)  yes, that wind is so very buffeting! The scenery around 1.38 to approx 1.48 is absolutely magnificent ! that ocean goes on forever !. It has got to be the best view I have seen since I was at Wilderness in the Cape. Lovely film Joy,  well done for enduring that wind and getting such a lovely decent video to share with us .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 2:52 pm

Thanks Dawn.  :D The distance of the bay from our river entrance to South Ballina would be about 30kms so it does stretch 'forever' in a way. One thing we do have is plenty of ocean.  :lol2:

Current date/time is Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:09 pm