OUR IMAGES

Billbergia Nutans "Queen's Tears" - 2014

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Billbergia Nutans "Queen's Tears" - 2014

Post by Joy on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 11:16 am

Just as our beautiful zygoes have ceased flowering & have started to look daggy the sadly neglected billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" have suddenly started flowering. This is before I found the energy to repot them & get rid of the old dead plants. As they only flower on new plants they will need room to grow so it will be essential for me to do this after this flowering season has finished.It will entail a fair bit of unravelling.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Billbergia Nutans "Queen's Tears" - 2014

Post by Joy on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 11:17 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 11:18 am

Please excuse the dead leaves. They aren't easy to remove unless done during repotting.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 11:18 am

This one is already opening to show its amazing & striking flowers.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 11:20 am

granny

Post by granny on Thu 03 Jul 2014, 9:34 pm

:apgch: Can't wait to see this one when it is open. 
    Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm

Here they are Granny!!  :apgch:  :love: 

An opening billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" flower cluster. Stunning colours. although the flowerhead is a brighter pink than it appears here. This is due to reflected sunlight which seems to lighten such bright colours.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:08 pm

Another opening billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" flower cluster.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:09 pm

Billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears".
    granny

Post by granny on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 3:57 am

Thanks Joy!!  The queen's tears is beautiful.  Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 9:51 am

The flowers on the billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" are amazing, Granny, with their gorgeous colour mix. When they start exuding their nectar it becomes obvious why they are called "Queen's Tears". It is very syrupy.  :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 20 Jul 2014, 2:02 pm

A bunch of the billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" striking flowers.

granny

Post by granny on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 12:00 am

:wow: Beautiful.  Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 10:01 am

They are, aren't they, Granny?  :smile:  Can imagine they have developed to cater for hummingbirds as they are fairly small flowers. Trouble is, we don't have hummingbirds but do have some smaller honeyeater birds that can hover.   :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 21 Jul 2014, 5:59 pm

Gorgeous Joy , a marvel of nature with all that colour mixing ! you done good :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 8:19 am

Thanks Dawn,  :D but I can claim no credit at all for the billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" flowering as they have done despite my neglect. They badly need splitting up & repotting as they flower on new plants. Ah well, will get around to it when the weather warms up.  :lol2:
    granny

Post by granny on Wed 23 Jul 2014, 12:33 am

:smile: Do you ever have the New Holland honeyeater in you yard?

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 23 Jul 2014, 1:58 am

Joy wrote:Thanks Dawn,  :D but I can claim no credit at all for the billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" flowering as they have done despite my neglect. They badly need splitting up & repotting as they flower on new plants. Ah well, will get around to it when the weather warms up.  :lol2:

Joy it is all about the Loove.. lol ! If you love them they have a habit of doing this  :D ! So.. you must have done something right ! take care Joy ! see you soon.

I am still trying to work out my new computer. I am taking the advantage of the clean drive to transfer some photos that are sorted and labelled properly first before I transfer any. You won't believe what a mess things are on my old drive ..lol !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Jul 2014, 8:53 am

granny wrote::smile: Do you ever have the New Holland honeyeater in you yard?

We haven't seen these beautiful birds in our yard, Granny, as there are none of their favourite food plants growing. We do have a bottlebrush which attracts other very noisy honeyeaters & lorikeets when in flower but the only small honeyeater we have seen is the drably named brown honeyeater. 

The New Holland honeyeater would abound in the nearby Broadwater National Park which is full of all kinds of banksias with different species flowering at different times of the year so that there is always flowers available for nectar & pollen. Many gardens here have grevilleas growing so they may have visits by these lovely little birds. 

:thanks:  for posting the pic of this pretty bird.   :coolsign:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Jul 2014, 9:06 am

Dawn wrote:
    Joy wrote:Thanks Dawn,  :D but I can claim no credit at all for the billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" flowering as they have done despite my neglect. They badly need splitting up & repotting as they flower on new plants. Ah well, will get around to it when the weather warms up.  :lol2:

Joy it is all about the Loove.. lol ! If you love them they have a habit of doing this  :D ! So.. you must have done something right ! take care Joy ! see you soon.

I am still trying to work out my new computer. I am taking the advantage of the clean drive to transfer some photos that are sorted and labelled properly first before I transfer any. You won't believe what a mess things are on my old drive ..lol !

My word, Dawn, you certainly will have a very well organised computer when you have all set up the way you want it.  :cool3:   Bit like moving to a new house (which you would be only all too familiar with  :lol3: ) although it will be worth it in the end.   :bravo:  

The main problem with the neglected billbergia nutans "Queen's Tears" is that they have quickly run out of room in their pots. To get more new plants I shall be forced to divide them & get rid of the dead older plants to enable room for new offshoots to grow otherwise I'll have none left.  :O  :sad:

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 10:21 am