OUR IMAGES

Dawn's Folkestone UK

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Dawn's Folkestone UK

Post by Joy on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 10:34 am

Dawn wrote:Thanks everyone :) Joy here is a picture of the gulls topside. We ordered some fries one day when I was with the girls down at the harbour , but they left them to get cold and so we left them it wasn't long before the gulls found them . Are they the karora ones ? it would be cool to know :)

They sure are big gulls Dawn rather like super-sized silver gulls. :lol3: Like all seagulls they certainly are partial to some chips. Maybe to go with their fish.  :lol!: 

The karoro or Southern Black-backed Gulls are even larger. Here are some images I found on the web. The first is of an adult & the second is of a juvenile. They retain this coloured plumage for a couple of years or so before they get the adult coloration.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 11:18 am

You are much braver than I would be, Dawn, re taking those wonderful shots of the white cliffs. The only way I could take such images is from a boat!!!  :lol2:  Yes, I agree, it would not be a great place to take children or dogs for walks unless both were leashed securely.  :O 

Was reading where it is very expensive to visit museums & historic sites in Britain. Is that why you would have to save up to visit Dover Castle?  :lol!: 

Absolutely stunning images of the Red Arrows, Dawn. Outstanding!!!  :photos:  No wonder you were happy with the result. Did you use the continuous burst mode on your camera to get such fantastic images? They turned out so well. Fabulous. Top camera.  :bravo: 

Thank you for sharing these awesome images for us to see. It is much appreciated.  :clap: 

Also, do hope you are feeling much better now & drink plenty of whatever will make you feel human again.  :sun:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 4:31 pm

Hi Joy ! 

Thanks for the pics of the Gulls. He is huge and his bill is strong ! Yes I see what you mean !. The other pic I see a lot of them here. Thanx so much as I wondered why it looked so different. Jessie said to me when I took a photo of that one at Kearsney Abbey gardens, I was muttering to myself "wonder what this one is"  she said "Nana that's a gull too my teacher said so" ;) I wonder if the babies of all varieties resemble this one as well?

re: the red arrow pics Joy, no it was on just single shot and on normal speed. Being so high up and so far away Joy it was not too difficult catching them rather like photographing a normal plane when it is in the sky, but just had to concentrate very hard to come down quick and stabilise before the next shot. I did have the tripod though. But as we arrived at the top. I had to quickly put my camera on the tripod , and smurph's law always arrives at that moment and everything decided to stick.... I fell going up the hill and bent the one leg of my tripod . So it was very skew when I was taking them but at least the camera was stable. This I got was the tail end of their display.

Re: the cliff shots I was a little braver lying down and inching forward Joy. I have to get used to it if I want to photograph the Raptors, sometime. :)

Yes it is 17.50 pounds entry per adult. A lot , but I expect it is a lot to upkeep ?. One would have to arrive early in the morning to get in the whole experience for your money's worth . It has its origins in the High Medieval era right down to some present history, so would be very interesting I would imagine. I seem to remember The Tower of London being very pricey too. That is why I have never visited the Tower twice. The last time I went into The Tower of London was in 1975/6. Nice in there though. It is worth becoming a member of the society on a yearly subscription if one does these things, as after that the entry is free to all sites. We have thought of it but things have been too hectic to do anything yet. 
    Thanks Joy we are both feeling a lot better now , the A/Biotic has been working. John went back to work today. We are still coughing but it has largely gone. It was brilliant weather here yesterday , 27 degree C outside and in the conservatory it was 29. :) . It rained last night and this morning is pleasant .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 5:26 pm

Yes, Dawn the Black-backed gulls are very large birds. The first time saw them was in the Wellington, NZ region as we didn't have them in Auckland, only the normal silver gulls. We were walking down a path on a small cliff down to the beach & came round a corner where we became visible from the beach. At that moment these birds were way down the beach but came charging along the sand (not flying) to see if we had some food. We did have some bread & tossed to them. Squabble, squabble!!  :lol2: 

A tripod would indeed be an essential for such photos as you took of the Red Arrows. It is something I should use, especially when on full zoom as, even though my camera has an inbuilt stabiliser, there is some shakes evident with shots at that distance.  Stupendous shots of the planes & their trails. Excellent.  :good:

Eeek, £17.50 is more than $30 in our money, that is expensive but as you say the upkeep of these historic sites would be astronomical  Wonder if tourists would get a package deal? Possibly.

So pleased you are feeling better. The antibiotics & the fresh air must have done you the world of good. Glad to hear you are having lovely warm weather. Sounds great.  :smile:  :hot!:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:31 pm

Thanks Joy , no that is the tourist price as far as I know. The only other option is to become a member of the historic houses and gardens , then you get in Free for most places excepting a few and it is a yearly subscription. Hampton Court Palace is another expensive one, but well worth seeing.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:32 pm

view of Folkestone from the North Downs 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:33 pm

It has a lot of green spaces this is one of them .

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:34 pm

This train coming out of the "Chunnel" has only nine trucks on it ?

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:35 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:36 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:37 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:38 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:05 am

Sunday morning when I went out for the milk and paper I drove to the same spot but never walked up the hill and it was so clear one could see  Dungeness. This was taken with my samsung Galaxy S3. 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:06 am

Sunday morning 

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:56 am

Wonderful images of Folkestone, Dawn.  :D   It certainly has a large railway hub. Yes, the trucks on the Chunnel train do look lonely, must have been a quiet day.  :lol3:  What an imposing bridge, or viaduct, that is in the background of the fourth image up. It towers over everything.

Your phone does take lovely clear shots.  :photos: The cameras on smartphones are so good these days, aren't they? i know ours have so many functions & lenses, which, unfortunately, are more difficult to learn how to use than my camera.  :sheesh:  No doubt they will get easier to use very shortly. 

Many thanks for sharing these great shots of the marvellous scenery around Folkestone. It is certainly a picturesque area. Bet you are also pleased that you are so close to the water.  :cool3:
    granny

Post by granny on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:43 pm

:clap:  :good: Thank you so much for the pictures Dawn!  The castle pictures were so good.  i hope you are feeling better.  Granny
    granny

Post by granny on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:06 pm

:photos:  :thanks: The pictures of the red arrows was wonderful!!  Thank you so much for sharing your pictures.  I really enjoy them all.  Granny
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:39 pm

Thank you Granny I am so happy you are enjoying my photos.  :coolsign: . I am feeling much much better today thank you  :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:58 pm

Thank you Joy ! Yes camera phones have indeed come a long long way. They are handy in the moment aren't they :)
    The Bridge you see running through the town is a railway bridge it is there because of the Harbour Station I think. I think it used to be from the days the Ferry's ran from Folkestone to France. Probably built all those years ago for cargo passengers and maybe troops being transported to the Harbour. The Harbour Station closed in 2001 . There is a lot of sadness in peoples voices when they talk of the Ferry's being discontinued as many people lost their jobs through it. We arrived from France on one of those Ferry's in 1976/77 can't remember the date exactly. Yes very imposing in that landscape almost looks Gothic in appearance doesn't it . One has to go under this bridge when going to the recycling dump. I get all excited when I drive under it  :lol!: , don't ask me why I am a bit cracked maybe ?  ;) The Chunnel has certainly made up for the loss of the Ferry's I would imagine? but then it is such a senstive subject I will leave it at that. 

I went to London on the express/fast ?  train for a day's excursion. It took just over an hour, was marvelous. I had to go to Greenwich on an errand. Had a wonderful day I will post those photos too sometime. There are two stations in Folkestone  "The Central"  and " Folkestone West". Folkestone West is better if you go there by car as there is loads of parking , but I took the bus in and John picked me up on return at 6.30 . Loved my trip to London ! I made it at the right time, I was very downcast and it set me right !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:10 am

Thanks for the info & Wiki, Dawn, it is much appreciated.  :good:  Interesting history of the railway station & the viaduct. It was a shame about the loss of jobs but such things happen everywhere, don't they? Do hope they can conserve the viaduct & prevent its demolition. Building a marina for a privileged few doesn't seem to me to be a good enough reason to tear such an historical site down. Perhaps, due to the country being full of historical sites, some Britons are more hohum about such preservations. Not so here. You should see some of the things they decree as having heritage conservation status.  :lol2: 

So pleased you had a great day in Greenwich. I know you love it there. Shall look forward to seeing your photos BUT no pressure.  :sun:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm

Hi Joy , Sorry I realise now my post was a bit mis leading as regards to the two viaducts , the Viaduct you saw in the photo is not the same as the viaduct at the Harbour which is the one in the Wiki link.  The big one in the Photo is in the centre of town I doubt that either will be demolished. The Harbour is still a working Harbour, and the fishing boats still remain anchored in this section at low tide,  inland of the Harbour viaduct. I will post some pics.  There are outlets for the fisherman to sell their fish and lots of little places to buy seafood take aways. Yes you are right The waterfront is being developed albeit it is still quite humble, IMHO,  in comparison to other waterfronts I have experienced with their fancy Marinas. It has retained its special old world charm. They are very conscious here to redevelop with a view to restoration rather than complete revamping, stuff I have read in the papers and around all suggest that anything done is to benefit all the people of Folkestone, but also to draw tourism as that is what brings in the revenue for a town or city if you know what I mean ?  Folkestone waterfront was a popular Victorian seaside destination. It is on the way to being restored to its former glory (as is Hastings and a few other places albeit IMHO the latter is going slower than here)  as you will see when I post some of the things being restored. All have access to it and apart from one 5* Michelin restaurant at the Harbour, the others are affordable to anyone's pocket in my opinion. The war history that Folkestone carries is also being slowly put out for all to see. The Pier has some kind of plans for restoration as this is where majority of Soldiers left for France  in the WW1. A lot of memorial stuff goes on in the town and they are planning a big one for the 100 anniversary of it soon. Parking along the Leas is free for all as it is public land and all can benefit from it, it is 'Prime' real estate too so all get the best of it all. So there is no snobbery that goes on. I have also noticed that everyone is mostly proud of what is being done to their town. I have only been here under 6 months now and don't know the ins and outs of it *all*, so my view  is still largely outsider view. So much to learn about the place that I get snippets of here there and everywhere and try to piece it all together , posting like this helps me get it all in scruff order ;) . I have lots to show you . BFN xx
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:41 pm

Some photos of the Harbour where the tide goes out .

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:42 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:20 am

Boy, Dawn, when the tide goes out there it sure goes out a long way. We don't see this kind of tidal range down here.  :o  It is a work of art mooring those fishing vessels & some seem to have special keels, (bilge keels Bruce called them). On the plus side such tides would make it easier to clean the bottom of these boats.   :lol3: 

Lucky town with two such viaducts   :yes:  :D  It does seem as though you are now living in a lovely town which is heading in a good direction. Tourism is a sensible option for the future & was probably what was Folkestone's main source of income, apart from fishing, in the past. Luckily it won't attract the yobbo cheapskate tourists of the type that head off to Ibiza, Marbella & Aruba giving the Brits a bad name. Much like ours who go to Bali & Phuket. Plenty of history too which will attract tourists. 

You will have much enjoyment in finding out about your new home turf. Great to have so many restaurants at a reasonable price too.  :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:49 pm

Thanks Joy ! Yes the tide goes out really far , doesn't it !, I never thought of the mooring or anchorage of the boats that is very interesting I shall now look out for the bilge keels when I am next there at low tide. If that interested you then I think you would be interested in some other pics I have , of a different part of the English coast, which has a tide that goes out even further than this miles so that one can actually walk vast distances across the bay to the other side. I was stunned at how this happens when I saw it. It also returns with an alarming speed coming back in and people have been drowned as a result. We were there at the anniversary of some fisherfolk who were caught in the tide once and drowned. 
     I need to upload the photos to storage first. The problem with my photos is that I shoot in Raw mode so the files are large, it takes age to upload. Like 2 hours for 4 /5 photos :D mad I know but taking in this mode helps me correct exposure better. It is worthwhile. Now we have broadband it is worth my while to store on internet as well , plus, it doesn't cost me anymore than it does to have the broadband. I cant use the computer when they uploading as then it goes really slow. Getting a new computer soon . I will get there :) thanx for viewing my pics. xx

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 6:19 am