OUR IMAGES

Dawn's Folkestone UK

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default DawnDawn's pics

Post by Joy on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:47 am

Such beautiful images, Dawn & the scenery is absolutely gorgeous.  :smile:  You are definitely living in a delightfully scenic part of England. Your dogs will really love their new exercise areas. England is very dog-friendly, isn't it? 

Fancy being so close to another country as to be able to pop over for a shopping excursion.  :lol3:  The Calais Opera House certainly looks grand enough to be Napoleonic era with some Roman influences. 

:thankyou:  for these lovely  :photos: , Dawn. They are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing the rest. No pressure mind.  :laugh: 

Love your new avatar, too The spring blossoms are so beautiful.  :love:
    Dawn

default Re: Dawn's Folkestone UK

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 1:23 am

There is an owl rescue centre here just on the outskirts of town. The organisation come onto the high street certain days that the market is out,  to raise awareness and maybe collect a few donations. They have the most beautiful Owls all have been rescued from some situation or other. I was able to run my finger down his nose and scratch his neck he just closed his eyes as if he was enjoying it. They have such very fierce looking eyes, but appear to be so gentle . 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:12 pm

I go for lots of walks during the week, I have not been out recently due to the dogs arriving and only walks to the park for the girls to play on the swings. But these are some I took on a walk one Sat. We live on top of a huge hill north of Folkestone which overlooks the English channel and the channel train tunnel. which I have noticed they call the Chunnel :) love the way the British have a knack of finding just the right "nickname" for everything !

Looking down on Folkestone East.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:13 pm

maybe a better shot than the last one

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:14 pm

one of the many pill boxes you find along this coast line , this section is just before the chalk cliffs start at Folkestone. 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:15 pm

a view over Folkestone. 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

Looking west onto what is called the Folkestone downs 

The wind was raging a gale coming in from the E/Channel that day as you can see by the grass on the verge. I live somewhere in the distance there

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:23 pm

There is a stretch of woodland between just a few miles from us Temple Ewell and Lydden it is a nature reserve, . There are many views from this stretch of road but unless you are on foot impossible to stop and take photos as the road is so narrow ...no place to park . There were two opportunities and these are the pics I took . It is a very beautiful area my pics do not show it off to its best . I hope to walk there one day and I will then be able to show better the beauty of the place . 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:40 pm

There is a beautiful picnic spot that lies on this road it is in the gardens that are in the ruins of Kearsney Abbey , of which you can now only see the broken down outer walls. I will be posting some photos of that sometime. The river Dour runs through the gardens and it is home to loads of pairing Swans and Cygnets amongst other waterfowl. I used to take the girls here as the gardens have a lovely playground. 

Cygnets

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:42 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:42 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:43 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:43 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:44 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:51 pm

Not sure if I have posted this one yet so excuse me if it is a double posting. This is a shot of the start of the Chalk Cliffs from Folkestone side. Of course to me the White Cliffs at Dover are far more striking. I never knew they actually stretched from Folkestone too. 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:52 pm

A lovely horse taken on one of my walks. When the wind is blowing here their manes look spectacular in the wind. 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:53 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:53 pm

The gulls here are huge , this came out clear so thought I would post it

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:54 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 05 Jun 2014, 10:45 am

Thank you so much, Dawn for posting these outstanding images for us. What a stunningly beautiful part of England you are now living in. Have seen wind like that in the pic of the wind-flattened grass, when I lived in the Windy Wellington area in NZ.  :lol3:  Trees grew with a permanent lean from the wind & I actually saw horizontal rain which I'd never seen before!!  :lol2:  

Such beautiful graceful swans. Gorgeous. Do the large gulls have black on the topsides of their wings, if so they are similar to the ones in the Southern Hemisphere that prefer the latitudes closer to the sub-Antarctic region. We see them here further south, same as in NZ where they are called karoro. 

Thank you again for posting these awesome images.  :photos:

Last edited by Joy on Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    granny

Post by granny on Fri 06 Jun 2014, 3:50 am

:clap: Thanks so much Dawn for sharing your pictures!! So good. :bravo: What a great place to live!  Granny

default Dawn's Folkestone UK

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Jun 2014, 5:06 am

Great pics once again Dawn.  Thanks for sharing.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 11:47 pm

Thanks everyone :) Joy here is a picture of the gulls topside. We ordered some fries one day when I was with the girls down at the harbour , but they left them to get cold and so we left them it wasn't long before the gulls found them . Are they the karora ones ? it would be cool to know :)

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 11:49 pm

St Margarets Bay is just beyond Dover to the north I think ? A lovely little beach and the village is really cute, with a winding road if I remember correctly going down to the beach /bay. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:55 pm