OUR IMAGES

Dawn's Folkestone UK

Dawn

default Re: Dawn's Folkestone UK

Post by Dawn on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 4:05 pm

Thanks for your reply Billy , this is bringing out my awareness. I saw two blackbird chicks on the lawn's 'wooden surround' this morning at 6.30. They must just be learning to fly , they never flew off like the others when I stepped outside. It looked like they were tame to start with but then I realised they were contemplating on 'how to fly'.  I went back in quick and they eventually flew off , they flew very low and the wings were so short so working much better :) . Cheers thanks BB ! 

and thanx everyone too !
    granny

Post by granny on Thu 03 Jul 2014, 9:23 pm

:good:  Thanks so much for the pictures of the horses and birds.  I believe you have a new friend with the little robin.  I enjoy your pictures so much.  MORE PLEASE!
                      Granny
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:57 pm

Thanx Granny :) !
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:09 pm

I walked up this hill last night at 5.30 pm, as it looked like we were going to get quite a dramatic sunset.
    but a bank of cloud/cold front seemed to move in quickly and stopped the final effects of the sun going down. (This picture is from wiki so would have the commons licence- I did not have one yet of it from my camera so have borrowed it to show you from where my photos come). This is Castle Hill, which used to have an old Norman Castle on top of it.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm

These were taken as soon as I arrived up there. Our weather has turned and we are cold :). See the fires are going in some homes. 
    The road in the centre top is a road going to a place called Capel le Ferne. At that traffic circle one would turn left to go up the hill on your left to where I live. 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:16 pm

Most of my pics are zoomed in. I took the tripod with hence the clarity, otherwise I find zooming gives me loads of blur.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:18 pm

a busy little roundabout/trafic circle that leads off the main highway to Park Farm where I do my grocery shopping.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:19 pm

The shopping centre closes at 4 on a Sunday so that is why the carpark is just about empty

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:20 pm

The Channel Tunnel approach to the east of me. 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:23 pm

Th Grand hotel you can see on the land horizen,  is the bigger building on the right. The smaller one on the left of it is the Metropol. both situated on the Leas. 
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:25 pm

As I say these are all zoomed in as these things are quite far from Castle Hill, like three miles to the Grand Hotel and the Leas. It was so clear when I first arrived.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:34 pm

I saw loads of Thistle, they were just 'going off'

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:35 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:36 pm

as you can see the air was a little crisp a very clear when I first got there

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:36 pm

I even got a shot of the moon :) 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:38 pm

The North Downs, according to wiki the Chunnel owns all this which lay to the east of me and adjacent to the chunnel approach. 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:46 pm

With Autumn upon us the spiders have come out in force. I have never seen a country that has so many spiders as Britain has. I am surrounded by webs of all shaped and sizes. Some are really beautiful, but I find them hard to photograph. I had to darken this photo to get the web to show up.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:47 pm

This little butterfly got trapped in my bedroom it took me two days to get it out, I thought it was going to starve. !! 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:48 pm

Finally the sun began to set taken about 6.15 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:49 pm

a train going through.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:50 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:54 pm

Last time I was up this hill John walked ahead of me coming down and I held on to his shoulder he wasnt with me this time and I had to slide down on my butt :) . I was not going to risk breaking a bone or scraping my self. I had forgotten about this when I went up last night. haha ! saw two people come towards me while I was 'sliding down' they had big smiles on their faces,  I must have looked a real twit. hehe! 
    This was taken at the bottem near where I had parked the car

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 6:11 pm

Many thanks Dawn for posting these fabulous images. :photos:  The zoom does a great job. It is such a beautiful, scenic area where you now live. Wonderful. :love:   Cannot believe just how close you are to France. We can't see another country from our coast just an empty horizon with the occasional yacht or ship.  :lol2: Strange, also, seing the smoke from fires drifting down the valley as very few houses here even have fireplaces. Top shot!!

Great shots of the spider web & butterfly. Glad you were able to set it free.  :D We love our spiders & butterflies.  :yes: Fantastic shots, also, of the moon & contrail. So crisp & clear. (Must get a tripod. :lol3:   )
    Thank you again  :thanks: for showing us the superb scenery from your neck of the woods, Dawn.   :hello: Awesome.  :cool3: So pleased you managed to escape injury (other than to your dignity :lol: ) after taking these terrific images.  :giggle: You were very brave to climb up such a steep hill. Wouldn't catch me making such an attempt. Too chicken.  :laugh:

Post by Guest on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 7:09 pm

Great shots Dawn.
    Your butterfly is a small tortoiseshell and was probably looking for a place to hibernate
    for the winter.   Thanks for sharing.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 7:56 pm

Thanks Billy and Joy for your responses ! Joy ! the tripod is a great piece of equip to have, it is just the carrying,  that is a BIG nuisance , but once you're there,  you are glad you took it :) ! .

Billy I have to confess I rely on you for my education of the British wildlife. We thought it to be a 'painted lady' butterfly, it is nice to know what it is thank you ! .  I thought of googling it but butterflies as with beetle are so many !! one can go on looking forever and just never find it. 

There were loads of Elephant Hawk moth caterpillers around eating the fushias in the area a short while ago. My neighbour was astounded at finding one he said he has never seen one before. I was happy I was able recognise it immediately. I guess a little piece of home that is also resident with me here ;) . 

The sun is setting earlier now so I think that will enable me to get some sunsets on the odd occasion. Thanks everyone. 

p.s. thanx Joy for the password fix :good:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 6:17 am