OUR IMAGES

Dawn's Folkestone UK

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Dawn's Folkestone UK

Post by Joy on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:11 am

What beautiful horses, Dawn. The magnificent tail & mane on your favourite one are stunning. He also very sturdy for his size & certainly has some draught in him. Think you would be 100% correct re him being the sire of the foal.  :lol3: 

Thank you for posting these wonderful images & am so pleased you take your camera with you when you go out. You really do live in a very picturesque area.  :good:  :photos:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 5:19 pm

Thanks Joy ! I set up a bird feeding station over the weekend. The sparrows have found it , but not many more yet . Had a Blackbird and two females feeding from the spill on the ground, and then while I was watching soon after putting it up , what looked like a Kestral or a goshawk flew onto the fence. He saw me and was gone in a flash but he must have smelt or seen the food or maybe was after the other birds as they skittered off quick when he arrived. I think they have nests in the hedge behind the feeder. Maybe he was after the eggs. who knows ?. Never seen him in the gardens around here before so can only think that.  I hope it attracts other birds as there are so many around here. 
     :apgch: 
    What fun night :) last night . ..... the other day the house alarm went off as we had a power cut. At that split second before this I got an whatsup message come through to say Kerry had , had a car accident. Phew it was mayhem here with the alarms going. I have never used an alarm here there is no need to. So I had no clue what the code was to reset it. With the power cut I lost landline and internet connection all in one foul swoop. I had the neighbour knocking to say please switch off the alarm they were all going mad with it. All I could think about was how was I going to contact Kerry. Talk about adrenaline fallout or what ever they call it. She is okay THK G. I had to rush down to the shop and buy airtime to ring her cell to cell cost 5 pound/90 rands for about 2 mins !!. So to get to the point last night at 3 pm the alarm went off again and it would not switch off. I think that power cut upset the works in it.  By now we had acquired the code but it would not work . I took John to the Train station at 5.30 am today and he will be away this week so I hope that alarm company is coming to fix it as I will have a very eventful week if they decide to drag their heels. haha! think I go camping this week it might be more comfortable . 

Have a lovely day everyone ! xx
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 8:05 am

Boy, you did have an eventful time, Dawn. Glad Kerry is okay. It is bad enough when/if our smoke alarms go off for no reason, especially in the wee small hours, so it would be much worse with a house alarm with its codes, etc. Would not have been very helpful of your neighbour asking you to switch it off. What do they think you were trying to do? D'uh!!   :sheesh:  Here, fortunately, we don't lose the landline with power outages but we do lose the internet. We can use our mobiles as emergency internet with our laptops, if needed, if we don't have our dongles charged up with pre-paid internet. Reasonably expensive but not quite as much as your mobile costs were. The house alarm seems to be more trouble than they are worth, rather like car alarms.  :lol3: Do hope you can get it fixed promptly.

As for the beautiful raptor coming to visit, it would be the temptations of the smaller birds which attracted it I'm afraid. Their eggs not so much as that would require it to go into the hedge which isn't something they'd do unless really hungry. Good luck with your birdfeeder. You will see more & more birds as word gets round.  :good: 

Have a peaceful week. xx  :yes:   :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 7:30 pm

Thanxx Joy ! 

Yes my mind jammed when I was asked to switch off the alarm, but I must add I think they thought I did not know mine was going off, as in the end it was only mine going mad here :) probably wondered why! . I am so lucky I have such nice neighbours, especially my direct neighbour next door he is a real honey loves helping me in finding my way around the area. Amazing man he is well over 80 and does all his own gardening , and things we find tough he just gets on with it ! Lucky,  no one seemed to hear it at 3 am.  I think the double glazing on the windows blocks the sound out and all windows are usually shut at night, or they were just being polite. 

A robin  came to the feeder last evening ! I managed to get some pics of him . So chuffed about that. Initially he kept taking seed off to the hedgerow on the other side of the wall , and back and forth so I guess he was feeding a baby and then he had a long feed himself and disappeared. Before he finished he walked right up to the section of lawn I was sitting on the edge of and eyed me out, I was surprised as they are usually nervous shy little birds. Well the Robins in CT are :) I am going to upload some of my pics now so I can show you. My lens unfortunately did not have enough zoom so I have had to crop severely to get a decent shot. xx.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:52 am

So happy for you, Dawn, that you have such nice neighbours  :yes: It is only right as you would be an excellent neighbour yourself   :D 

Great to see you were able to get some pics of a lovely robin. Looking forward to seeing them. When Bruce first starting putting the parrot seed mix out to try & attract galahs nothing happened for ages. Then a non-seedeating peewee started eating the seed much to our surprise. It was soon followed by rainbow & scaly-breasted lorikeets, also non-seedeaters well as various doves & crested & white headed pigeons which were the only true seedeaters of them all.  :lol3:  Never saw any galahs though.  :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:13 pm

Joy ! not a nice rule,  not to be able to feed the birds. Mind you,  you have so many in your garden where you live, you may just as well be feeding them. as they are there anyway I would think ? Sorry never got to put up my pics yesterday. But I did manage to upload some to Picasa. I am going to get another lens, maybe for Christmas ;) then that will give me a better zoom.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:17 pm

I just found this link and it seems the English Robin is a "tame" garden bird it is only the European Robin that is the shy one :) I loved the explanation of "Who killed Cock Robin". :)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:18 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:19 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:21 pm

maybe a better crop , haha ! my one little Robin but I was so proud of him :D

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:22 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:24 pm

The Robin was clever he hopped around all the other squabbling birds in good calm tactic as much as if to say while they get on with it I will just eat !it was mostly the Starlings who were trying to intimidate the Sparrows :). These two look like they were having a face off lol !

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:27 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:28 pm

This is when he got all curious of me sitting there !

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:29 pm

eyeing me out and almost walked straight up to me at one stage !

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:29 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:30 pm

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 1:59 pm

Beautiful bird!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 2:19 pm

Yes, it is a beautiful little bird, Dawn. Think you have a friend.  :D Thank you for these wonderful images.  :thanks:   :photos: Thanks, also for the info on your robins. It appears to be a spunky little bird.  :yes: 

There are many bird species & genera here in Australia, NZ, New Guinea & various Pacific Islands known as Australasian robins but they are only distantly related to the British & European robins. Think they were called robins by the early settlers because they reminded them of the robins "back home". Much like our magpies which aren't related to the European magpies.  :lol3: Unfortunately, we tend to not see them (robins) in our area. Wrong type of vegetation perhaps. 

Great shots of your birds & there is nothing wrong with cropping. I do it often, especially with shots taken of birds quite some distance away.  :cool4:

Post by Guest on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:36 pm

Looks like the word is getting round that there's a meal to be had at your place Dawn.

Good job!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:13 pm

Thanxxx for the comments everyone ! 

I bought a small pack of sunflower hearts which were recommended by someone in order to draw the Finches.  :apgch:  . I hope they don't take long to arrive !

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 3:02 am

We used up the last of the stored apples from last year two days ago so had to go out and buy the cheapest we could find,
    put a half out and within half an hour it was nearly gone.

Something you might like to try Dawn, just hooked on a piece of wire so they cant run away with it.
    Also have been successful with small bits of crumbled cheese.

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 3:08 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 4:36 am

Thanks for that Billy I have some grated cheese which I put out after I saw your post, I will get and apple or two tomorrow,  great photo of the Black bird Billy,  their yellow beak is their signature apart from the song !. Thank you ! I have noticed the blackbirds here are not singing as much in the evenings lately,  as much as  they used to, lots of bird twitter but not much blackbird singing. Is this significant do you know ? sorry if I sound out too many questions. Just thought about it tonight really and thought I would ask ? Thank you for all your info !

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 5:15 am

Hi Dawn,
    Most bird song is to do with breeding and holding territories and as the breeding season is coming to
    an end, song is declining rapidly.

Here we have just a bit at first light by blackbirds,song thrush, wood pigeons and collard doves,
     but not much else, perhaps the odd wren now and again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:53 pm