OUR IMAGES

Dawn's Folkestone UK

Dawn

default Re: Dawn's Folkestone UK

Post by Dawn on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 8:05 pm

:hi: Joy , we are in Folkstone at the moment, Folkstone will be our base for the next few months now. We have the odd brilliant day and the next day like today is really gusty and stormy almost like we are paying for yesterdays sunshine :) no one expects the sun to stay around for long ;) 

We over look the English Channel and on a clear day you can see France :)  the lights in the evening and morning are mostly visible. But on a stormy day it looks as if the Channel goes on forever. When the weather is mild, the sunrises, are so pretty. Yesterday was a mild day I was out all day I walked into the town centre which is just around the corner and then spent the afternoon  walking along the beach front which is below the cliffs called the Leas. The Leas has a promenade too with a renovated Victorian bandstand it is lovely to look at. The hotels along the Leas promenade are very Grand and there is one called "The Grand" too :) . Which back in the days King Edward used to stay at, ( not the one who abdicated the other one) Apparently one can go and have coffee at "The Grand". I will wait for dh to be off work,  then maybe I will go for coffee there one day .

Hastings and Folkstone are in the process of revamping their beach front and promenade back into its former Victorian splendour according to some friendly soul I met on one of my walks. I have only been to Hastings once to drive along the front  so not sure how they are doing ? but Folkstone are doing a good job. "The Leas" has a path which leads down to the beach from the promenade, it is called the Zig Zag path. Once down onto the beach front there are the most beautiful green gardens ...an area called the "Leas Coastal Walk". The beaches here are all shale, no sand. I don't see many people walking on it as it is very loose and so therefore hard to walk any length of distance. One can walk almost all the way along the coast here to Hastings, with very little contact with the road,  so I am told. It is very close to some great little "villiages" like Hythe , Cheriton, Sandgate, Romney Marsh not necessarily in that order. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  seems to be a very interesting place, I see they call it the  "The Fifth Continent"   :). We have not been to any of these yet  except to drive through it mostly because dh is working all the time and I do not have any transport of my own yet. But I will get there soon,  they are only down the road. 

Folkstone seems to be very well situated, there is the Intnl rail station, to London and France and the regular Folkestone rail station just down the road. I have not had to try the buses yet but am told they are good.  Speak to you again  later   :bye:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:30 pm

Some pics of Folkestone and the Channel etc

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:36 pm

Went for a lovely walk this morning it is truly a beautiful spring day, only slightly chilly with no wind, had to remove my coat I got a bit warm walking. Spring buds are appearing all over .
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:38 pm

Walking down the cliffs from a place called The Leas, on a path called the zig zag path . The signs of spring are all over . 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:39 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:42 pm

A view of the shingle beach, below the cliffs. I have so many more photos from my canon but they are too large to put up or even store on this laptop . Cant wait to get fixed up properly with my computer
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Apr 2014, 11:03 pm

Hi Granny 
    Thank you  :)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 1:23 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 1:24 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 1:24 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 1:25 am

Last edited by Dawn on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 1:29 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 1:32 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 1:33 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 1:36 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 17 Apr 2014, 5:33 pm

The coastal road to Dover !

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 17 Apr 2014, 5:34 pm

I stopped and walked down this road in the photo above and when I looked over the cliffs I saw this beach.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 17 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

This is Clematis ! I love it because it is so clear ! taken from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Last edited by Dawn on Thu 17 Apr 2014, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 17 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

Blossom taken from a supermarket carpark !

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 8:19 pm

Yesterday we went for a walk to see where we might take the dogs for a walk, when they arrive
    there are lots of fields here open to the public.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 9:56 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:12 pm

Some more scenes of the countryside where I live 

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:13 pm

Dawn