OUR IMAGES

Misla's Tillandsia Cyanea "Pink Quills"

default pink quill

Post by Guest on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 7:51 am

Have 3 pink quills in one pot. One of them had one flower and that was it. It looks as the flowers want to come out but they can't and they are loosing pink color into pale pink and greenish. What am I doing wrong ?

default Re: Misla's Tillandsia Cyanea "Pink Quills"

Post by Guest on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 7:58 am

Hi there. I have 3 pink quills in one pot. One of them had one flower and that was it. It looks as the flowers want to come out but for some reason can't and its loosing its pink color into pale pink and greenish. What am I doing wrong t
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 8:52 am

Hello Misla, welcome to A Patio Garden.  :D 

The lovely tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" is an epiphyte & is a member of the bromeliad famiiy. As such their quills or flowerheads grow only on newer plants or pups. A plant may die off eventually after the quill has finished (mine haven't) but will grow one or more offshoots or pups. 

The quill is not the actual flower but is, what I call, a flowerhead. What you are describing with one of your quills is what happens when it is finished. The beautiful bright pink colour fades & gradually turns green then brown. With mine I don't remove it until it can come away from the plant readily & without having to tug it. 

Tillandsias are usually "air plants" which do not need to be in soil or watered apart from occasional misting but the tillandsia cyanea is different. It needs to be planted in soil in a roomy container to allow for growth of pups & needs frequent watering. It also doesn't mind a feed of diluted liquid fertiliser (normal strength & dosage). This may, perhaps, encourage the flowers to appear. 

Here is a pic of one of mine in flower. These brilliant purple flowers don't last long but the quill itself will last quite a while & will flower several times before fading. 

Post by Guest on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 10:06 am

Your pink quill is beautiful. Im trying to upload a pic of mine but for some reason I cant. I haven't been watering it alot because I read that they dont like that. The soil is dry. Should I water it more ? I only spray it 2 a week
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 10:26 am

Hi mesla, have you read the instructions on how to load pics into your post? Here is a link to the How-To for posting images. Posting Still Images If you need further information don't hesitate to ask.  :cool3: 

Here are some tips for growing tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" indoors. Tillandsia Cyanea "Pink Quill"

Mine is grown in a sheltered spot outdoors all year round as we live in the subtropics. It does well with watering deeply &, when I get round to it, fertilising. 

Having just Googled tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" care I found differing advice on how to look after your plant(s) so I can see how people, who have these gorgeous plants, can get confused re caring for them as their care is totally different from the other tillandsias. They do in fact need to be potted in a well-draining potting mix, orchid mix is good. Deep watered when soil is dryish to the touch. Don't let this plant dry out completely. Sometimes I will mist it but as we have a very humid climate & it doesn't get dusty or dry from central heating or A/C it's not really necessary for my plant. This has worked for me & I have had mine for about seven years.  :smile:

Post by Guest on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 10:58 am

lets see if it works. This is whst it looks like now
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 11:33 am

Yes!! It does work, Mesla.   :D 

That is what the tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quills" quills look like when they are starting to die off. Is this a fairly new plant for you? These quills can last a few months before they start to change colour & die off. The plants themselves look quite healthy although the leaves haven't grown as long as they can do as yet. Perhaps they are still young. They can be divided & repotted to allow room for new pups to grow if the pot is crowded. Keep meaning to do this with mine. Oh well, one of these days I might have the energy.  :lol3:

Post by Guest on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 9:26 pm

Yes I got mine in february. One of them has a pup but don't see it growing. Should I put them in a bigger pot ?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Apr 2014, 7:31 am

That is the trouble when these sort of plants are bought with their beautiful quills (or flowerheads) already grown because there is no knowing how long they have been there. Seems as though yours was halfway through its cycle & there would be less chance of new flowers appearing on the quill. 

As for repotting your plants, you can if you wish, especially if they seem crowded. This would be a good time to separate the plants & in that way you'll have a few more of these lovely plants. Leave the pup attached to its parent if it is still small, though. 

Tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" is an attractive plant even without their gorgeous quills & flowers.

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 8:45 am

Thank you so much for all your helo :thankyou: 
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 9:07 am

My pleasure. Do hope it will help you care for your beautiful tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill".  :smile: 

If you have any other questions, we may be able to assist you with, don't hesitate to ask.  :cool3:

Post by Guest on Mon 05 May 2014, 12:21 am

I thought I would give  you an update on my pink quill. I went out and bought a new one and listen to you advice and water it instead of spraying and it worked. My other 3 have new pups so I'm happy about that. Thank you for your advice
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Misla's Tillandsia Cyanea "Pink Quills"

Post by Joy on Mon 05 May 2014, 7:04 am

That is great to hear, Misla.  :smile:  Tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" are really wonderful plants & are quite easy to care for, especially if they are treated much like an ordinary potted plant instead of as an airplant such as the other tillandsia species.  :yes:  I see your new plant is flowering. Congratulations.  :D  They are such a beautiful striking colour & so delicate. Love them. 

BTW I have split your posts off from the topic where you originally posted  & give you your own thread in Epiphytes called "Misla's Tillandsia Cyanea "Pink Quills" " so you can keep us up-to-date there.  :cool3:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:37 pm