OUR IMAGES

Colourful Plants & Trees

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Colourful Plants & Trees

Post by Joy on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 2:41 pm

A beautiful ornamental grass in the early morning sun, in a garden at the motel we stayed at iin Grafton. They are nearly a chocolate shade.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Colourful Plants & Trees

Post by Joy on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 2:42 pm

One on the other side of this garden. It's still in the early morning shade.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 2:44 pm

One of these beautiful ornamental grasses in street planting in our town. They are scattered around & look lovely These plantings are fairly recent. All plants survived & are thriving. Look wonderful. This was taken while driving up the street.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 2:45 pm

A brilliantly coloured hedge on an acreage property on the road running between our town & the Pacific Highway. Looks like it is for sale. It would appear to be a very well tended property & very private.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 2:46 pm

A buttercup bush up on Razorback Lookout. They were introduced from Central & South America & have naturalised here very well but aren't invasive. They provided a lovely splash of colour up & down the Pacific Highway.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 2:47 pm

Melaleucas, aka Paperbarks, are flowering everywhere. They seem to flower after heavy rains & can flower several times a year much leading to many bouts of hay fever. Especially as they are a very abundant tree in our town.

This was taken whilst driving past the boat harbour & these trees are on the northern boundary of the Bundjalung National Park. 

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:01 pm

The year round green of these melaleuca & eucalypt trees glow yellow in the rays of the early morning sun. Amazing colour.
    granny

Post by granny on Sat 24 May 2014, 1:04 pm

:smile:  :photos: Wonderful pictures as always Joy!!  The  ornamental grass was so pretty.  I haven't seen that color before.  The buttercup bush was so nice.  A bright pop of color. Thanks so much!!
         Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 24 May 2014, 2:05 pm

Thanks Granny.  :smile:  :wave2:  That particular ornamental grass seems to be very popular in our region. In our town it is used as street plantings. It is very decorative as it seems to flower all year round.  :cool3: 

The buttercup bush is from Central & South America, I believe, & is probably a garden escapee. It has naturalised but does not seem to be invasive & is a lovely splash of colour along the Pacific Highway in autumn when it flowers. Love it.  :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:07 pm

The magnificent poinciana trees in town are putting on the best flower display I have seen in years. This beautiful specimen is on the corner at the bottom of the road running down the hill from Razorback Lookout. This is a capture from a movie I was taking as we drove down.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:10 pm

This close up was a still I was able to take while taking the movie. A nifty feature of my camera. 

The poinciana tree is completely covered in brilliantly-coloured flowers. This is an outstanding tree.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:11 pm

A glimpse, from our yard, of another magnificent display of flowers on a neighbour's beautiful poinciana tree. Have never seen it look so bright. It too is covered in flowers. Those are two mango trees in front.
    MableShortt

Post by MableShortt on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm

That poinciana is surely a beautiful tree. I love red and to have a tree like that in your yard would be spectacular.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm

Unfortunately, Mable, neither of these stunning trees are in our yard. Wish they were. Both would be old trees & all of the poincianas in our town are about the same age. Must have been fashionable at one time to plant them. For this we can be grateful.
    granny

Post by granny on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:41 pm

:hi:Joy,  The trees are amazing!  They just scream Merry Christmas.  Thanks so much!
               :photos: Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:48 pm

Thanks Granny.  :smile: They are especially gorgeous this year with so many brilliantly coloured flowers. :love:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 03 Dec 2014, 7:17 pm

wow Joy what wonderful pics that first one is a stunner great shot.  :good: :cool4:

Of course :) with me the Poincianas are the bestest trees in the world haha!... such  beautiful trees, makes me want to come to Aus, and the one in your pic is so big and full of glorious flowers. just the best. You are absolutely right Joy I think some plants go in and out of fashion. Thank you for these wonderful photos.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Dec 2014, 9:05 pm

Thanks, Dawn.  :smile: We shall be going to Princess Alexandra Hospital (PA), in Brisbane, on Friday so will be interested to see if their stunning poincianas are as colourful as the ones here & at Ballina. You should see the lawns underneath these trees. They are covered in red petals. Saw some trees in Ballina which were a more brilliant red rather than the coral red of these trees.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 03 Dec 2014, 11:28 pm

Some pics of those would be really great Joy ! so lets hope they are all in bloom too.  :cheers:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 8:44 am

That's if I can Dawn. :lol3:  The last pics I took of those trees at PA were from high up in the multi-storeyed carpark across the road. this time we shall be starggering, by foot, up the hill walking underneath them. I will have my camera with me just in case. Poincianas are also a popular street tree in inner city Brisbane.  :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 10:42 pm

Yes no pressure Joy ! I seem to remember your last visit we got some pics. Yeugh that up hill slog is painful  :lol2:. But I suppose the reward is being able to walk underneath them .  :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 7:09 am

Realised when we arrived here Dawn that there had been a horrific super cell storm last week which severely damaged parts of Brisbane including the area we are visiting. Saw the poor hospital poincianas from the car yesterday & they looked very daggy. Took some pics of street poincianas elsewhere that had missed  damage & they are beautiful.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 6:26 pm

Ah what a shame about the poincianas being stormed out, but that was great you managed to get some other photos Joy ! how lucky  :good: :clap:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 2:25 pm

Yes it was Dawn. Only one had a few bedraggled flowers, but no big clusters, plus their leaves were sparse. It was a shame. Still thankfully I have the other pics which I shall post soon. Seem to be a little busy atm.  :lol3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 1:53 pm

Turns out I was fortunate to get those first two pics, of the poinciana in flower, as since taking them we have had really bad weather with thunderstorms, heavy rain & fierce winds, all in this past week. Drove past this tree & it is now only a shadow of its former glory flower-wise. The tree itself is still beautiful but the flowers are no longer in the lovely big clusters, just sparse scatterings over it. 

The tree in the third pic hasn't been affected by the severe weather & is still covered in big red clusters of flowers. Looks gorgeous.  :love:

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 10:12 am