OUR IMAGES

2014 Gardening

Glad E Olah

default Re: 2014 Gardening

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm

The original scent. 

When I watered this evening I could smell the aroma of the soap so hope it works.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 2:09 pm

Hope so too, Glad, for your sake & for your tomatoes.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 3:37 pm

Me too....thanks Joy
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 5:12 pm

Just hope the pesky squirrels are allergic to soap!!  :lol3: 

PS Glad, just to let you know we didn't overlook your birthday at APG. There's some greetings over at ChitChat.  :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 07 Aug 2014, 12:23 pm

Pictures taken today:

Cherry tomatoes

Yellow tomatoes

Grape tomatoes

Kiwi like plant and sweet potatoes

Peppers

Late beans, late okra, and cantaloupe on far end

watermelon

watermelon up close view
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 07 Aug 2014, 2:18 pm

My word, Glad, everything is growing so well & looks magnificent!! It does seem as though your tomatoes have recovered from the attack of the squirrels okay as they are looking healthy & plentiful. 

Well done & thank you for posting these wonderful images of your veggie garden.  :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 07 Aug 2014, 9:09 pm

We are eating tomatoes now but squirrels did do a lot of damage by taking them.

My grandkids love to play a made up game.  The cucumbers were doing so well there for awhile and some were hiding under their leaves to where they became over sized and not edible. So the girls would take them to the ledge of the gazebo and throw them over as hard as they could to watch them bust open on the ground.  The other day I saw a squirrel eating the inside of a cucumber!  Perhaps they will leave the tomatoes alone now.  I will need to watch the cucumbers next year to see if they start steeling them now. 

I bet we will have cucumber plants springing up all over the back yard next year where the girls have thrown them.  It is a bit messy but they had fun.  The name of their game is called "Chucking Cucumbers".  How they came up with that I do not know.
    granny

Post by granny on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 2:21 am

Your garden looks wonderful Glad.I am sure you have been very busy canning and freezing vegetables.  The Irish Spring soap seems to work, your tomatoes look great.  :yes:   All your hard work this summer has really paid off.
         "Chucking cucumbers" sounds like a fun game for the girls. :lol3: I'm sure they had so much fun.
         Thanks so much for posting the pictures.  I couldn't resist finding a couple of pictures for you.  The squirrels at my house run up a tree and eat, so I could just imagine one in a tree eating a tomato. (Better watch your head walking under trees.) :lol3:  The next picture is how I think the squirrels will look after a summer in your great yard and garden.

I am just joking with you Glad!
    I know what a pest the little guys must be after all your hard work.  I'm very happy to see how great your garden looks.  The little furry friends was no match for your green thumb.
                  Granny

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 11 Aug 2014, 9:56 pm

Love the squirrel pictures Granny.

Thank you!

I can blame no one but myself for the squirrels!  Years ago (before I planted gardens) I saw a squirrel in the yard and hubby said if I wanted to throw some peanuts out the squirrels would stay.  They did!  They are cute creatures but sometimes a bit annoying at damage they can do.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 11 Aug 2014, 10:05 pm

Going to plant fall garden today.

Starting with lettuce, spinach, beets, radishes and maybe a few potatoes.

Potatoes may not have time to make but going to try them anyway.
    granny

Post by granny on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:20 am

:smile: Good luck with the fall garden.  The potatoes should have time.
              Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:25 am

If all goes well, weather-wise, it is going to be a good autumn harvest, Glad.  :D 

At least we don't have the squirrel problem, just birds & flying foxes.  :lol3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 11:54 am

Red Leaf Lettuce, Romaine Lettuce, Beets, Radishes, Kale, Spinach, a few small onions from the spring garden, and a small amount of potatoes were planted today. I may plant a few more potatoes where the row of cucumbers and early beans were but not sure. Fall beans are loaded with blooms and it appears another week and we will pick them. Hoping for some to can this time.

Thanks granny. I am taking a chance but worth it if there is time.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:11 pm

Your plantings will stand you in good stead for the cooler months, Glad.  :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 20 Aug 2014, 3:48 pm

Since I was here last week I cut my little finger washing a glass.

It is slowly healing but I have been delayed getting gardening done.

Today with the use of rubber gloves I made tomato juice.  Took me forever and just as it was finishing processing here comes a hail storm!  Some damage to the beans but think they will be ok.  When I was checking them after the storm I noticed a few beans so will be picking them tomorrow.

Daughter has been dressing my finger daily and it is about healed now.  Slow because of diabetes.  She insured me NOT to get it wet that is why the rubber glove.  And it is my right hand.  I have been trying to learn to use the left hand more but it just does not work like the right one. One granddaughter is left handed and I am amazed at how she does things with her left hand.  For one thing the mouse on this computer is for right handed people.

Back to the garden....all seeds are up now except for the potatoes.  They are a bit slower than the seeds but today's rain will help them come through the soil
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Aug 2014, 5:38 pm

Yes, Glad,diabetes does certainly slow the healing process & people with that condition have to be careful. Importantly, it is good that it is healing even if slowly. The garden can wait a bit longer for you to be able to attend to it.  :D 

Pleased for you that you can still work on processing your harvest. You might become ambidextrous soon.   :lol3:  Lefthanders seem to be able to adapt to coping with things that are for righthanders. 

Happy that your late plantings are doing well, too. Hope you do too.   :)
    granny

Post by granny on Wed 20 Aug 2014, 11:46 pm

So happy to hear your hand is better.
                  Granny
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 3:08 pm

We had fresh beans for supper.....the plants are making loads of beans.  I will can some in a few days.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 3:38 pm

That is good to hear, Glad. Fresh beans are delicious.  :D
    granny

Post by granny on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 11:12 pm

Love green beans!  Enjoy!
                    Granny
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 4:21 am

Just took a couple of pictures:

Watermelon update

New beans and okra....see the blooms on the beans....can't seem them well but the plants are loaded!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 7:11 am

Your veggie garden is looking fantastic, Glad!! It has come a long way with all your hard work tending it. It must give you a great deal of deserved satisfaction. 

Congratulations!!
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 10:43 am

Yes and thanks Joy!

There is still lots of work to complete but it will be done.

For one thing son had to stop the construction of the greenhouse due to working overtime at his job.
    Hopefully he will be able to start construction again soon.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 10:53 am

That is good your son has overtime at his job, Glad, but not so good for the greenhouse.  Also what is the wooden framework showing in the above picture?
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 10:57 am

That is the beginning of the greenhouse.

When son builds something it is almost perfect. 
    The posts are set in concrete and was measured to the "T"
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 11:16 am

Thought it might be, Glad. A perfectionist is ideal for such projects. It will be terrific when finally finished.  :D

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:28 am