OUR IMAGES

Summer Thunderstorms

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Summer Thunderstorms

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:35 pm

Two days ago a summer thunderstorm headed our way. First indications are a build up of clouds from the south which are then replaced by dark menacing skies in the west. We had some thunder rumbles but, thankfully, nothing more than some eerily beautiful cloud formations. Guess we are overdue for a storm to hit us but the ones we had last autumn were enough. There will, probably, be more storm cloud images in the near future.

The approach from the west.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Summer Thunderstorms

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:36 pm

A motorised hang glider seems to be in a hurry to come back down to earth, though it was quite high up. Not much more than a speck really. The clouds were really dark.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:39 pm

This one is a bit scary. Didn't know what that cloud was up to.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:40 pm

Front rolling in.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:40 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:42 pm

This the leading edge of the storm. It had passed over us & was heading north east. That is looking behind our place.

Last edited by Joybells on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:43 pm

Looking south.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:45 pm

A strange circle in the cloud mass. It looked like a smoke ring.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:46 pm

Later cloud formations.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 10:47 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 08 Dec 2009, 2:24 am

Those clouds certainly look like they mean buisness don't they Joy!. I must say since we have been living down here in the south I do miss thunderstorms, we get the odd one here but they are not the same as the more tropical one
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Dec 2009, 9:01 pm

Again we were lucky, Dawn, as this storm did not amount to much, for us, but, one day...............

This is our thunderstorm season, though they tend to be worse around February. Don't think we will continue to be so lucky as to miss all the action. We can get some real doozies. :affraid:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 09 Dec 2009, 9:25 pm

I think I would love them (maybe a bit naive on the size of them saying this ), not the flooding potential though, that would be a nightmare . One things for sure, your dead winter leaves don't get to stay on the trees for very long with the gales eh!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Dec 2009, 10:00 pm

Leaves do get blown off the trees, Dawn, but they are green leaves as we don't have deciduous trees. :lol: Eucalypts will shed their fresh new growth, at the ends of their branches, as well as limbs, to reduce wind pressure on the tree. Have seen piles of sprigs of new leaves on the ground, under a eucalypt, after a heavy wind. Other trees turn their new leaves, again at the ends of the branches, around, so that the wind can't burn the tender top surface.

One of the big dangers of our summer thunderstorms is the very real risk of bushfires from lightning strikes. Of course, there is, also, the serious risk of property & environmental damage. Thing I hate is wind!!! :x
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 12:19 am

"Thing I hate is wind!!! "

Hear Hear....... me too , I always try to think the wind has its purpose, but the purpose of our wind is largely so that the northern areas get their rains! Well its there for other things too but...

Since I don't live in the north.... well you can imagine it is not much consolation.

I see what you mean, and bushfires are so scary , you certainly seem to get a good share in Aus. I have noticed your fire fighters are very very good and have a good reputation ww I believe
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 9:53 pm

Most of them are volunteers, too, Dawn. There are many fires at the moment but this is the bushfire season. Have been smelling smoke for the past few days from a fire somewhere around here, but the smell seems to have gone now. Thank goodness.

The reason I hate wind is because it can be so unpredictable with the damage it can cause. It frightens me at times. The odd cyclone hasn't helped either.

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:32 pm