OUR IMAGES

Native Wasp

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Native Wasp

Post by Joy on Tue 04 Feb 2014, 2:22 pm

A large native wasp (harmless), one of many Australian wasp species, drifting along with its long legs hanging down. They regularly fly through our house to get from the back to the front yard & on their way through they usually investigate all rooms. Have to slide open the big glass door at the front to let them out. It is quite colourful.

Just happen to snap this as I was taking weather shots & only noticed I had captured the wasp as it was flying up to the balcony, above where I was standing, when I had loaded the images. Serendipidty.
    Glad E Olah

default Re: Native Wasp

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:42 pm

Different from the wasps here in America.

They are not colorful and they sting you big time.
    Some people have a bad reaction to their stings.
    My daughter is allergic to their stings.

Thanks for the picture Joy.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 2:33 pm

Thanks Glad. Haven't seen these wasps lately as they possibly have hibernated for the winter. With weather warming up we may start to see them again. Hopefully I may be able to get a pic of them when they are inside lazily meandering about. They are a lovely colourful critter. 

We have the awful introduced yellow & black striped European wasp in parts of Australia which are really nasty stingers. Luckily, we don't seem to have them here, where we live, maybe due to the fact our soil is too sandy for their nests.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

That is good Joy.

I am not to fond of anything that hurts.

I was stung by a bumble bee one time and my are was swollen almost instantly.  I had to go to the doctor.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 3:45 pm

Yes, that is not pleasant, Glad. When I was was a kid I stood on a honeybee & my foot was so swollen I had to be pushed around in a stroller for a while. Once, when we were living on the pleasure cruiser, a bee somehow got into my hair when I was showering & shampooing my hair. Poor thing stung me on my ring finger which swelled so much it turned purple. 

Always feel sad that these poor creatures, so essential to agriculture, die after stinging someone, unlike the awful European wasp which lives to sting another day, just like the aggressive hornets.  :whack!: :whack!: :whack!:
    granny

Post by granny on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 6:16 pm

:wow: :photos:What a great picture  Joy.  I thought it looked like the dragonfly we have here.  Beautiful blue sky!
               Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 8:13 am

Yes, we have dragonflies here, too, Granny & they also come into our home flying lazily about until they start to headbutt the windows or walls. Fortunately they make a loud buzzing when they do that so we can rescue them. UNFORTUNATELY, one time I did that & when I released the dragonfly outside a bird swooped down & grabbed it!!!  :o  :oops: :sorry:
    granny

Post by granny on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 8:12 pm

The dragonfly didn't fly fast enough!  Maybe the bird needed a meal real bad. 
                :hello2:  Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:25 am

Granny, I swear the bird knew what was happening & was waiting even though it could not see what I was doing beforehand. It swooped in immediately I walked outside & grabbed the dragonfly as soon as I released it. Poor thing did not have a chance. Swoop!! Gone!!!  :o
    granny

Post by granny on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 3:15 am

:laugh:   Maybe the little bird was looking in your window.  
              :hello:  Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 4:10 pm

:lol2:  Think it was one lucky birdie & one VERY unlucky dragonfly!!  :oops:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 7:57 am