OUR IMAGES

Orchard Swallowtail Butterfly

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Orchard Swallowtail Butterfly

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Dec 2009, 3:45 pm

Sharp-eyed Bruiser spotted this in our front yard. It landed on the large hibiscus schizopetalus for a rest. Tend to think it was not long out of the cocoon as its right wing was not yet fully unfurled. There looked as though there was a pleat at the lower section of this wing.

Took me a fair while to identify this butterfly but was pleased when I did. Think it is more prevalent further north from here, in the SE queensland region. Turns out it is a male Orchard Swallowtail butterfly. There is quite a difference between a male & a female of this species. It apparently lives on citrus trees but its caterpillars cause only minor damage. They feed at night & lie quite still during the day to avoid caterpillar-loving birds. The adult feeds off the nectar from flowers. There is a lemon tree next door so it may have come from there.

They are slow & erratic flyers. They are members of the swallowtail butterfly family but, like some of the other members, do not have this feature. They are large butterflies measuring 10.5cms across.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Orchard Swallowtail Butterfly

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Dec 2009, 4:06 pm

Some images of this lovely butterfly. Initially took some pics from a distance using the zoom. Then I was able to walk up to it & took some images fairly close. Had to take care as I didn't want to cast a shadow on it & frighten the poor thing.

Distance shot.

The bottom corner of the right hand wing is still folded up.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Dec 2009, 4:09 pm

More images.

Part of the red spot which is normally on the other side of the wing is showing.

The left side.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Dec 2009, 4:14 pm

Before it spread out its wings.

Spread out in all its glory. There is a bit more of its right wing showing now.

We then left it alone & it eventually flew away.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 4:15 pm

Hey there Joy! I have that camera too!, I didnt know that the settings affect colour. I must experiment a bit more with the settings.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Feb 2010, 11:38 am

This morning I spotted a female Orchard Swallowtail butterfly resting on our yucca elephantipes. She had her full wing span with them fully pumped out, unlike the male we spotted a while ago. Doesn't look anything like the male.

It is about 10cms (4ins) across.

Last edited by Joybells on Sun 07 Feb 2010, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Feb 2010, 11:52 am

Found out the butterflies, also, help pollinate some rainforest species.

A closer look at this beautiful butterfly.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 23 Feb 2010, 8:46 pm

Here it is about to fly away.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 11:30 am

A male Orchard Swallowtail butterfly relaxing yesterday on our back patio. It stayed there for sometime. It's quite large about 10cms across.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 12:49 pm