OUR IMAGES

Help Help Help !!! Graptopetalum Bellum !

default Help Help Help !!! Graptopetalum Bellum !

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:01 am

I just got an interesting looking plant, I believe is a Grapetopetalum Bellum, a sad little ill looking thing. It was only until I got it home did I realise how badly damaged it really was. rotting leaves, falling apart. I had to get rid of the lot of them. as you can see from the picture, the original size covered the whole of the pot surface, now it's down to a small little thing.
    is there any hope for it ? what can I do to help it along ? I think someone overwatered it, and caused it to rot, but have changed the soil and removed all rotting leaves.

any help would be great.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Help Help Help !!! Graptopetalum Bellum !

Post by Joy on Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:28 am

Hi, Pamela, don't panic. Your succulent is very similar to echeverias, of which I have a few. I also have a graptoveria tricolour which grows like a weed. It spreads by dropping leaves which then grow a new plant at the skinny end, sends out roots & feeds off the nutrients in the leaf until it gets established. Echeverias don't do this so I assume it is the graptopetalum part of the hybrid which does this. They also fall apart readily which is most likely due to this way of making new plants.

Your plant looks good at the moment. They grow from the centre, which, in the case of your succulent, does look healthy, so, hopefully it will keep on growing well. You have done all you can for it so it will be a wait & see game. Just fertilise it occasionally as well as watering when it looks dry. Just remember, older leaves will die off eventually.

As for my succulents, they definitely grew better once they went out on the back patio but I know that isn't possible for you. It will grow more slowly inside but that's ok too. Can't have it growing rampant like mine do outside. :lol3:

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:47 am

You should have seen the other leaves, all mushy and brown, I had to take them off :( But I was worried, taking so many off, I thought I did more harm than good, and might have...'crippled' him ? like he wouldn't regrow or something. I am still learning how to deal with succulents. only just got my Aloe Vera to calm down and start growing.
    I originally thought he was a echeveria, but wasn't too sure, the label did not say. so first I had to try and search through google with 'flat white succulent plant', and compare him to pictures, before making a judgement. I've put him in new dry soil, thought it is abit moist still, since there was mold growing on the surface. I tried the cinnamon trick, so hopefully that should sort it. he's sat by a window in the kitchen, next to my Aloe Vera, facing sort of NorthWest.

My mom and I like to buy reduced old plants about to be thrown out in shops, and try and resurrect them. we just got two African Violets on their last let, so we will try and propagate them. Just got a mini caladium and dragon tail, another form of 'ghost' succulent. an easter cactus and another bromeliad *think he's a vriesea* . I also got my mom a Guzmania, who she's called Roger . plant count is up to 25+ now
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 02 Jun 2013, 10:05 am

It does sound as though you have the plant-lovers' disease. Pamela. :lol: Always remember that some plants can't be rescued, no matter how good the care is you give them, as they may have been on the "reduced" display for too long, ignored, or have been mistreated too much. You & your mum have scored a good selection of plants. Hope you will get them up & growing well.

As I mentioned, like most plants, the succulents grow their leaves from the centre, so removing the rotten leaves from the outside will not harm the growing process. In fact, it probably will do it good. These types of succulents like plenty of direct sunlight with protection, like shade, from the hottest part of the day. Incidentally, there are many hundreds, even thousands of different types of echeverias & graptopetalums so it is REALLY difficult to accurately ID a single plant. There are some good sites with extensive lists of the different types but even these cannot list them all. Most frustrating. :sheesh:

Post by Guest on Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:34 pm

It's true, as soon as I seen an interesting plant, I want it :3 I have just moved out of University for the summer, so all my plants are at home, dotted everywhere. mom is pretty happy. she's like me, we don't like cut flowers, because they wither and die, but with potted plants, chances are they rebloom or you can propagate them

Are there any care tips for my lil succulent on recover ? I have tried to find info online but nothing is too clear. when to water, what to water, does he like lots of sun light, heat ? moderate sunlight etc. ? the only think I have found is 'don't water the actual plant', much like orchids etc. I assume the water causes rot. I've moved him to a little sunnier spot with my other cacti and succulents at the minute, just to give him a little nudge and dry out his soil. There's still a little discoloration with some leaves left, but they're still firm, they don't pop off, so we will have to see :/ fingers crossed

also, anyone know where I can find 5/6 cm pots ?! I have tried to look for them everywhere, but can't find any. :( I have a ton of lil cacti, in just fibre lil cups, I want to put them in proper pots.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 03 Jun 2013, 11:49 am

Apart from what I have already mentioned in previous posts, Pamela, the only other bits of advice I can give you re caring for your succulent is to use well-draining potting mix. I use a special Cactus & Succulent mix for mine. You should be able to find something similar in the UK. Not to worry though, as any normal free-draining potting mix should suffice.

Another tip is to not worry too much as these plants can survive a reasonable amount of neglect. Mine do. :whistle: As for watering them they don't need any special way of doing this. My succulents get watered by watering can, garden hose or rain without any rotting of leaves. In fact there is no way I could possibly water them under their leaves as they cover their containers completely. :lol3: Also, with your plant, poke your finger into the potting mix & if it is dry nearly to the first knuckle then it needs watering. These are dry area plants & will survive long periods without water. Their leaves are their water reservoirs so when they start to look wrinkly then they are really in need of water. Have never seen mine get to this stage though.

As for buying pots, you should be able to get what you want from garden supply shops or hardware outlets. When I need small ones such as you want, I usually use the ones that the plants are sold in. Luckily, uurs aren't sold in fibre pots but in plastic ones which can save money when needing smaller pots. :lol:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:48 am