OUR IMAGES

Laughing Dove nest

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Laughing Dove nest

Post by Joy on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:01 pm

That gunk does sound :sick2: , yucky & difficult to remove, Dawn. We do not seem to see any bird poop around such as under the palm trees when the lorikeets are feasting on their flowers or from other birds. Guess we are very lucky. :smile:

Although it would be very visible, I suppose, if pelicans moved up here from the boat harbour & river. :lol2: I have seen pelican poop. :o
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 05 Dec 2012, 7:45 pm

I just found a baby ring necked pigeon on the ground it had fallen out of the nest. I found the nest after much effort as the foliage on that tree is so dense, chased the mother off her other baby and successfully put it back. I so hope it doesn't fall out again :O , that nest is ridiculously small for two babies. I am wondering whether the wind did it? or whether he just misjudged when he moved ?. It is still too small to hand rear and I was anxious if I would be able to get it back. The last thing I want is to have to watch a little baby die :sad3: Phew ! my legs feel all wobbly with fright after shinning up that ladder. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 06 Dec 2012, 9:50 am

Good for you, Dawn. :bravo: Doves & pigeons build such scanty nests, it is a miracle any babies survive at all. :O Guess it is survival of the fittest or those who can hang on for longer. :lol3: The wind probably blew it off & I admire your tenacity in returning it to the nest. :cool3: Climbing ladders can be stressful enough, for those of us who do not use them often, let alone with the added stress of carefully handling a precious cargo. You did good, as Bruiser would say. :goodone: :clap: :luck: to the little one. :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 06 Dec 2012, 5:58 pm

thanks Joy! he is still in his nest, so I think all is well, hope the winds stay away until he is a little bigger. I know he is just a pigeon and it's the circle of life, or survival of the fittest, a fact of life and we have to just go with it. I just do not want to witness it happening, well not too many times at any rate. He was very hot where he had been sitting in the full sun as this was late in the morning I could not let him stay there, something would have got at him. He was too small for me to feed or rear as well. I had a long enough ladder, and I still had to climb to the very top of it, once at the top I could at least hold on to the branch of the tree with one hand while putting him back. So it wasn't too bad, not sure if my wobbly legs were not a result of the fact that I was worried I may not get him back successfully. Ah well!! all seems well now. The laughing doves were all lined up with the mother on the wall while this was going on :D . They were all so agitated,as if they were standing on a hot tin roof. I was impressed how they all stuck together with the ring neck mother. They almost looked surprised when I moved the ladder and myself away, with baby intact. I think they so often experience the opposite outcome.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 7:57 am

Yes, Dawn, I think your wobbly legs were a result of the nerves & anxiety you would have felt about the the baby bird plus the stress of getting it, safely, back "home". :o It is amazing how different species of birds, or animals for that matter, will, sometimes, gather together & help one another in such times of "danger", especially when it has to do with their young.

An instance of this has stuck in my memory & happened, many years ago, back in NZ. We had a couple of cats & one brought, into the house, a starling as a prize. As it was still alive, I grabbed it from the cat & took it outside with the cat following me. When outside I saw a large number of starlings who had been joined by an equally large number of those dreadful Indian mynahs. These birds are usually an enemy of starlings in that they take their nesting sites, displacing them & here they were assisting the starlings in retrieving their captured one. I released the starling, with the cat in hot pursuit, & some of the birds, both starlings & Indian mynahs, attacked the cat, stopping it from getting back its prize, while the others were urging the cat's victim to fly. As it was in a state of shock this took several minutes but it eventually did so & escaped the teeth of Misty. The noise the agitated birds made was extremely loud & their activity frenetic. All ended well though. What I thought amazing was the actions of the Indian mynahs in coming to the aid of the starlings & I can still picture the scene vividly. :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 6:02 pm

I loved your story Joy! :good: :clap: It is amazing to hear this about the Mynahs ! here they are called Butcher birds and usually so callous in preying on other birds. Yes blood is definitely thicker than water as they say :). I can bet Misty did not forget it easily either :). I have just seen my first red bishop of the season, I had forgotten about them. They are very late in showing up this year. He wasn't in his full colours yet either.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:20 am

Pleased that the red bishop has turned up in your garden, Dawn. While we have some shore birds, seen on the beaches here, which are migratory, 99% of the birds we see around about are local inhabitants & don't change whatever the season. The sparrows tend to be visitors but they hung about while Bruiser was still feeding them. Now that the free feed has dried up they have disappeared. :lol2:

Our butcher birds are natives & look nothing like the dreaded Indian mynah. We do have a native honeyeater, called the noisy miner, which some people confuse with the mynahs but apart from size, cheekiness & yellow around the eye, they really look nothing like the imported mynahs.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 08 Dec 2012, 5:48 pm

:blush: I mentioned the red bishop sighting to DH , and he reminded me we had not seen the red bishops because we have not put up feeders this year, :D . The lonely red bishop I saw is actually losing his colours already. DH said he has seen lots about where he works. At least that clears up the mystery, and this shows me that I am at home, way too much!! I need to get out more ;)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 Dec 2012, 5:55 pm

:lol2: At least, you did see one, Dawn. :good:

Do these birds have special breeding colours??
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 08 Dec 2012, 7:13 pm

Yes Joy! the males have a very plain sparrow looking plumage out of breeding season. In breeding season they go a bright orange red and black. The females don't change colour they stay mousey looking all the time. They are brilliant looking birds in breeding season!

Red Bishop

actually this link has some lovely photos of our birds here, page one has a malachite sunbird , they are lovely looking birds
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 09 Dec 2012, 7:49 am

The male red bishop certainly does look very handsome in his breeding plumage, Dawn. No wonder the girls find him irresistible. :love: Lucky females don't have to get all tarted up to impress the males though. :lol!:

Thanks for the link. There were some great shots of birds there. :cool3:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 09 Dec 2012, 5:03 pm

Here is a photo of the female Red Bishop, not sure if you managed to see it when wading through all those pics. The male looks pretty similar to the female 's plumage when out of his spring dress.

Female Red Bishop
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 09 Dec 2012, 5:40 pm

Thanks for posting that pic, Dawn. It was a bit better pic than the others I saw, even though they were from the same photographer. She certainly is well camouflaged & would be hard to see on the nest. The male is just a show-off in his breeding plumage. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 09 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

Yes he sure is :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 10 Dec 2012, 7:38 am

Would the red bishops ever breed in your wonderful garden, Dawn. or have the doves & pigeons taken all the best real estate?? :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 10 Dec 2012, 4:18 pm

No I doubt they would seek a garden to nest in Joy , they are from the weaver family. So they form like colonies I think in less developed areas, like wetlands etc. But they *would* look for food away from their breeding areas, and that is why we see them in the garden. Which probably confirms why I have not really seen them this year as the feeders have not been put up. In that link of the red bishop I put up , the person took his photos in a wetland reserve not far from here, so this is probably where they come from when visiting our garden :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 10 Dec 2012, 4:34 pm

Oh well, Dawn, it would be good to see them in the garden at any time. :smile:

:o Just saw in Wiki that the males build several nests to attract the ladies & are polygamous. You would need a rather large garden to accommodate these philanderers & their harems. :laugh:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 10 Dec 2012, 4:47 pm

:lol2: yes I think so Joy! They come in there hundreds when they do nest.Nice if one had a garden that was a significant size.

I found another baby ring neck that had fallen from its nest but it is not as young as the first. I could not find out which nest he came from so could not put it back. It is not the same one or same nester I found earlier they are both still intact. This one I think has developed wings enough to fly, so had to leave him to his own devices I am afraid. The wind is quite gusty today I hope he is not thrown around too much.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 10 Dec 2012, 5:16 pm

Yes, Dawn, sometimes it is best to let nature take its course. Putting it back in the wrong nest would be worse for it than leaving it to learn to use its wings. The gusty wind probably made it a bit harder for it, but they have to learn to cope, don't they?? :smile:

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm