OUR IMAGES

Pamela"s Tillandsia Cyanea Quinn

default Re: Pamela"s Tillandsia Cyanea Quinn

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:27 am

Hi guys,
    am new here, for i am slightly worried about my pink quill, "Quinn". Was so glad i found this topic
    Basically i got him a few months ago (another present from my mom) and he was a cute pale pink. Now he is just a healthy green (i would class it as healthy, but what would i know) he seems to have sprouted some new leaves at the base but other than that i haven't seen much movement. when i see other pink quills, i can't help but think i might be doing something wrong, or maybe i'm just impaitent.
    Not sure what really to say. i mist him about once a week, with water going to the "cup". he came with a vase and those little water ball things. i don't think they actually do much. he is in soil and if i'm right, he's facing the east rising sun in the morning...(if that means anything) . I keep my room warm-ish because i have other plants that like it warm and slightly humid.

So please say hi to "Quinn"
    So if any of you have anything to say, any tips of opinions, i'd be grateful, because right now, it seems like nothing is happening, for months !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:49 am

Hi Pamela & Quinn. :D Your tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" desperately needs repotting as the cute little vase is just that, cute, but not suitable for long term plant growing. These plants are the only tillandsias which need soil to grow as they require watering. Most other tillandsias are true epiphytes & just need occasional misting. The atmosphere in your room would be good for Quinn as they are a tropical rainforest plant. As we live in the subtropics my plant is outside all year round.

The quills turn green when they have finished flowering & are dying off. The flowers are the violet ones seen in my pics further up the page. I always leave the quills in place as they undergo this change, as their nutrients are returned to the plant. This tillandsia also likes to be fertilised with a suitably diluted liquid plant fertiliser such as fish or seaweed emulsion.

It needs space as it grows "pups" or offshoots, which is where the new quills will form. My plant does need repotting also as I fear it is running out of room for its pups to grow.

So repot your lovely Quinn & you will be rewarded with new lovely bright pink quills which will produce the stunning violet flowers.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:57 am

PS. On page 1 of this topic there are pics of my plant from a few years ago. It has now fully filled this pot & needs a new one. The images will show you what the leaf growth looks like. :good:

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:24 am

Ah Thank you. I thought as much, with the packaging Quinn first came in. He was a novelty plant i think. Probably the reason why he never bloomed, probably started dying in the box :(
    I will move him out the vase and find him a better pot tomorrow. What sort of soil should i look for ? i know some plants need different soils. Also, does his size seem right ? compared to others he seems quite small, it's why i thought he was still a little baby. Guess it was just the conditions he was kept him.
    I wonder though, the 'leaves' i thought he was growing, do they look like 'pups' to you then ? -->

Can you see the new lil sprout popping out ? Do you think that is a 'pup' ?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:42 am

There looks to be a couple of pups there. It is hard to say but if they come away fairly easily from the rest of the plant then they are certainly off shoots. They will grow more leaves & it will become more obvious that they are separate plants. The centre of the plant whorl will become a pretty reddish brown.

I could divide my tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" into several plants & repot them. They would all then grow offshoots which in turn would mature & shoot up new quills. :smile:

Normal potting soil is ok for this plant. They aren't too fussy although they do like plenty of water ie kept moist but not swamped. Mine gets watered when I remember it. :blush2:

The really great thing about epiphytic plants such as tillandsias, aechmeas & bromeliads is that you really only have to buy one plant, of whichever one you fancy, as they all grow pups, which can be potted, making more plants. :bravo:

Post by Guest on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:46 am

Just a small question -
    From the looks of it, it seems like Quinn has two pups growing (yay) should i pot them seperately, or is it okay to plant them together ? i am just wondering, because Quinn was never ever that big, not like the other Pink quills i've seen (though that may have been because he's dying/dead) he's no bigger than my index finger. so, can quills alright to plant together, or better to plant them seperately ? what sort of pot should i look for, size wise ?
    The pot i have moved Quinn into not is about 7cm height, 7cm width. I do have a few bio plants you can grow seedlings in. Maybe keep them in there until they start growing abit bigger
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 7:23 am

The older tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" will usually die off after its bract (quill) has finished flowering but that doesn't mean your plant is dead. As your plant is still so small the dying off is bit more noticeable. Leave them all together as they will look a bit sparse on their own. Mine could be separated as it is quite big.

It is hard for me to advise what sized pot would be best for your plant as a pic doesn't show what its size really is, does it? :D From your description the pot you are going to use would be big enough. All that is required is a bit of room around the pot for some new growth. The pot also needs to be tallish as the leaves can grow quite long. :fun:

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 1:11 am

Hey guys !
    We've had abit of activity with Quinn, my Pink Quill. To recap, i got him as a present, and it turns out he was already 'dead', so i had been tending to a 'dead-ish' plant for a few months when i noticed there was a pup growing off him !!! (i thought there was two, but can see now they were just new leaves) now the question is, when should i seperate this pup and plant him on it's own. Do i wait till a flower starts to form ? i read that you should maybe wait until the pup is like 1/3 the size of the mother before seperating it, hopefully it should start forming some roots etc.
    (Also Joseph, my other Bromeliad has starting growing two lil pups though they are tiny compared to the mother still. Also, silly question but, if these pups survive, and i plant them, and they mature, will they be the same colour as the mother plant ? ? don't know why they would be different, but was curious if they would be like a ... 'clone' of the mother plant)

I was going to put a picture up, but seems like the site is having issues
    so anyone got any opinions ? ? ? ?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:27 am

Hello, Pamela. Have you repotted your tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" from the glass tube it was in yet? The people who do this to plants, for novelty purposes, should be had up for cruelty to plants. :lol2:

The original plant won't be dead unless it has totally turned brown & crispy. Has this happened? If so discard it. The pups or offshoots should be planted in potting mix. When I saw a tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" being split up on a TV show the offshoots were all the same size as the parent but I do think this can be done at any time. The pups or offshoots of my aechmea fasciata "Primera" were all small, fully formed plants, when cut off the parent & continued to grow when placed into their own pots.

As for your bromeliad offshoots, they are the same family as my aechmea fasciata & will most likely need to be cut off the parent. Bear in mind they do NOT need their "roots" for feeding purposes, they are merely anchor roots so it isn't essential for them to have many or even any. After planting in potting mix they should grow their own. The bract should remain the same as the one on the parent plant as I cannot see any reason for this to not happen. There are different types of bromeliads & their offshoots generally remain true to the parent plant. My aechmea fasciata "Primera" has always done so.

Good luck with Quinn & Joseph. :good:

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 7:42 pm

Hi Joy
    Yes i repotted Quinn in a proper pot, with soil instead of those water pearl things. He's still green, so i guess he's not completely dead yet. I was just worried, i go to B&Q and i see their tillandsia cyanea and the actually flower is much bigger and pink. Quinn was pinkish when i got him, but he quickly turned green. Yeah novelty plants don't seem to have a good reputation. I had to give Rene (my venus fly trap) away. it was just too hard to care for with what little i had. In the shops they're all big with red traps etc. but you take them home, they don't seem to do as well, unless you have the right stuff for them. it's okay, he's in a good home. my friend collects them, he's got like 40 !!
    Hmm. Quinn's pup is still abit small, so i will wait abit longer. I may do the same for Joseph's pups too, they are still quite small, but as long as they are fine it's okay I think joseph is a guzmania bromeliad, from the shape and size of him, but can't confirm.
    Ah, i gave my mom a aechmea fasciata I need to go into her work and if it it's got any pups soon or else she will just throw it away
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Pamela"s Tillandsia Cyanea Quinn

Post by Joy on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:25 am

Hi Pamela. :hello2: It does seem as though the quill, or bract, of your tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" was nearly finished when you received it as they lose their beautiful fluoro pink colour then turn green finally paling in colour until they turn brown & crispy. At that stage the bract is nearly ready to be removed although I don't until they come away with a gentle tug. My reasoning is that the nutrients from the bract are being returned to the plant. Now the actual plant isn't dead, at all, until it also goes brown which none of mine have done since I have had it. It just keeps on growing new offshoots. The plant itself is very attractive without a bract. The bracts on my plant seem to grow in early summer so don't give up on it. Same with your mother's aechmea fasciata. Don't let her toss it. :omg: :lol3:

So pleased your VFT, Rene, went to a good home. :D Bear in mind there are different types of VFTs so there are ones which do have large traps with very red traps. Have a look at our Carnivore section as there are many pics of the different types there, especially in Tyler's threads.

Here are a couple of pics of a bromeliad stall at one of the weekend markets which are held in our area.

PS Haven't tested the posting pics from PCs function yet to see why you are having problems, Pamela. Seem to keep forgetting. :blush2: Mine are posted from my web albums so are done in a different fashion.

Think, also, I will give your tillandsia cyanea posts their own topic in the same forum (section). You will go there automatically via the notification. :cool3:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 9:50 am