OUR IMAGES

Aleo Vera

default Aleo Vera

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:15 am

Hi Guys ! well it was bound to happen !!
    My friend who has the mother Aleo Vera plant has harvested the pups and given one to me. I can't help but think though that something's not quite right with it.
    Two leaves look a pale yellow, and aren't very plump, maybe abit lumpy though, and even the new leaf growing looks mishapen. Am i doing something wrong ? only got the thing maybe less than a week ago. what's the best way to look after an Aleo Vera ? water and sun wise etc.
    would upload a picture but seems like the site is having some problems with it
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Aleo Vera

Post by Joy on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 8:33 am

Congratulations on your new plant, Pamela. :cool3: Aloe vera are extremely to look after. As they are a succulent all they need is well draining potting mix, watering when you remember to do so & as much sun as you can give them. My aloe vera is woefully neglected & desperately needs repotting, (like most of my plants at the moment) but powers along. :blush2: :O

Have never seen any of the leaves of my aloe vera, nor any of my other aloes, turn yellow or become misshapen. Maybe it wasn't getting enough sun, perhaps??? Hard to know without seeing pics of it. Shall look into that now. :yes:

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 8:45 am

Ah sorry -
    finally figured the photos out --
    I don't know if you can see but the leaves on the outside aren't as green as the ones on the side, they are not as formed as the others, none of the lil markings of thorns, they actually look a little faded. Also, while the other leaves are 'fat', expect, the outside leaves look thin, especially at the tips, like very thin, think if someone has pinched and squashed it.
    I read that Aloe Vera are very sensitive to stress etc. i don't know if maybe it being harvested from the mother and being potted has done something, or if it's still getting settled etc.

also, got 2 new plants too a lovely prayer plant, Calathea. and a Tradescantia
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:50 am

Hmm, that does look very different to my aloe vera, Pamela. Perhaps it is another aloe type although they all have the spines on the edge of its leaves.

Anyhow the ones on the outer edges would be the older leaves & may have been squashed as you thought. Not to worry. Don't know that they are prone to stress though, as they are pretty tough plants. Did have a tiny one, an aloe "Pepe" which was a bit temperamental & seems to have disappeared. :lol: Maybe was covered over by other succulents. :lol3:

Yours should come good soon & be doing what all aloes do & that is grow, grow, grow. :bravo:

Your new plants sound great. We had problems with a calathea as I think our climate was too warm & humid so, even when it was kept in the shade, with a little morning sun, its leaves were always dying off. It occasionally made "miraculous" recoveries, but tossed it away eventually, much to Bruiser's dismay. :O The only tradescantia I ever had was a Wandering Jew many years ago. Could not kill that with a stick. :giggle: Have much fun with your new "babies".

PS Sent you a PM about posting your pics before I read this new post. Have added the new directions to the How-To Manual. :D

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 03 May 2013, 3:01 pm

The plant looks like the one I have. Will try to get a picture of it. Yours looks ok for a beginning plant.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 03 May 2013, 4:42 pm

Hi :sun: Pamela just my two cents worth. I found this link . I have never grown Aloe Vera myself I am embarrassed to say and that any succulent or cactus apart from 1 or 2 varieties I will never like nor grow, it is just a personal thing with me. So I have had no experience worthy of note.

Aloe Vera

p.s. half way down the article is a paragraph on yellowing of the leaves. good luck :sun:

Post by Guest on Sat 01 Jun 2013, 5:24 pm

my mother have lots of that, she uses it on here hair. She huge aloe Vera, I think its around 6 or so.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:27 pm