OUR IMAGES

Laughing Dove nest

Dawn

default Laughing Dove nest

Post by Dawn on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 5:20 am

Just look what I found when we were trying to prune our Karob tree.

When we discovered the nest was there we stopped all pruning and looked around, the mother was sitting on the wall looking all agitated almost saying . We took a photo or two and left them alone after that. I am hoping to get some more photos without disturbing the nest or rather the mother too much. I managed to get this photo by standing in tippee toe and aiming into the tree. I know it is only a pigeon but ahh!! how cute. We may get some pics of the little babies when they hatch. I hope my doggies don't disturb them they are so raucous when they play in that area.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Laughing Dove nest

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 9:16 am

What a wonderfully serendipitous shot, Dawn!!! It is fabulous. I find these types of pics seem to turn out the best. The nest looks rather precarious, with the eggs just sitting there, doesn't it??? :lol:

It would seem your dogs' noisiness hasn't been a problem, so far, if the birds decided to build a nest there. They are probably used to it. :)

Laughing dove. What a great name for a bird, too. Shall have to go & see what it looks like.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 9:37 am

Have just checked out the Laughing Dove & it looked very familiar, Dawn. There is a Laughing Turtle-dove here, but they live over in the southern corner of Western Australia. Here, on the east coast, we have the Spotted Turtle-dove which also looks similar, apart from the spotted collar on the back of its neck. We see a few of them in our yard from time to time. No nests though. :( It is a lovely bird.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 5:25 pm

Yes, Joy the eggs look as if they would just fall out of there at any slight movement don't they, it is a very shallow nest. I think pigeons are known for their bad nest building! and that tree is in the path of the full south easter, it sways and rocks in the wind, but at least she did have the sense to build it on the sheltered side. I am hoping the eggs don't fall out!!!.
    We think she must be the one that comes to eat the seed that falls out of my canary's cage, which hangs under the patio cover during the day.

Streptopelia senegalensis (Laughing dove)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 5:43 pm

No wonder it nested in your tree, Dawn. :lol: It has all the comforts of home right at hand. A dove could not ask for any more, could it???

Looking at our tattered Birds of Australia book, I see that the Laughing Turtle-doves have the same scientific name as your bird & the Spotted Turtle-dove has the name Streptopelia chinensis. They are both introduced birds, apparently.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 6:39 pm

I looked for the Streptopelia chinensis in our bird book but we don't get that one in SA.

Oh well, I do hope they get to hatch! then we might be able to get some photos of them
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 8:03 pm

I managed to get this photo this morning without spooking her too much
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 8:09 pm

"No wonder it nested in your tree, Dawn. :lol: It has all the comforts of home right at hand. A dove could not ask for any more, could it??? "

Yes you are right about that. I was just looking around the yard earlier and there are much better places she could have built a nest. Last year there was a nest in my neighbours tree that overhangs our yard. Same thing happened when they pruned it and rather severely, the nest fell out . I don't think it was a pigeon nest.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Dec 2009, 2:42 pm

What a great shot, Dawn!! She looks rather comfy there too. Is there a Mr Laughing Dove hanging around?? Someone would have to bring her some food.

Guess trees, even in more populated areas, need to be checked for nests before being pruned. Especially in breeding seasons. You just never know whether some birds have decided it was prime real estate, for a new home.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 3:54 am

Look! we have babies

Yes Joy! Mr Laughing Dove has been around. Back and forward mostly a bit agitated. He probably brings her food. She has sat there constantly everytime I have checked her which has been three times a day she has always been sitting on the eggs. DH was mowing the lawn this evening around five oclock and saw her fly out onto the wall, so he had a look, then called me and we quickly took a few photos.

I agree you are right one should check for nests before pruning as we did expose her little nest quite a bit before we realised she was there. Also it could have fallen out like the other one.

I am going to have to make sure when she teaches them to fly that the dogs don't go for them as our female Staffie loves chasing birds and I have caught her on occasions stalking them. I have a gate to that area so will just keep it shut.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 8:02 am

Fantastic news, Dawn!! :cheers: Great pic, too. It was good of the mother to give you that photo opportunity. :lol: Or, perhaps DH could mow the lawn daily. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you have a bird dog, eh?? Wonder what it would do with a bird if it actually caught one?? Would probably be as surprised as the bird. :o :lol:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 4:53 pm

She has caught some and sent them off to birdie heaven. She has become better at leaving them alone lately, as I have ticked her off about it often when it happens. It is so funny to watch when a bird comes on to the patio now. She looks at me and then buries her head into her pillow as if to say "I can't see anything can you? " . It's when I am not there she forgets herself.

Those little babies look so ugly before they get feathers don't they.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 12 Dec 2009, 2:15 pm

Oh dear, Dawn. Do you think the bird catching might be an effort to "please" you by bringing you a gift???? Staffies aren't a bird dog breed, as such as, unlike retrievers & Labradors, are they??

Hiding her head in her pillow would look so funny. I believe they are very intelligent dogs so she might learn to leave the birds alone. Maybe. ;)

The baby birds just look like lumps of fluff. :lol: :lol:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 9:14 pm

The babies survived the wind yesterday despite the fact the mother is starting to leave them for quite long periods of time now. (When she sits on them at least I know the wind cant tip them out).We kept checking to see if the swaying of the tree had made them fall out, as the nest has become quite flat and the outer twigs have seemed to fall away a little bit. We had very high winds yesterday. They also look like they are getting a wee bit too big for the nest.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 9:28 pm

[quote="Joybells"]Oh dear, Dawn. Do you think the bird catching might be an effort to "please" you by bringing you a gift???? Staffies aren't a bird dog breed, as such as, unlike retrievers & Labradors, are they??

Hiding her head in her pillow would look so funny. I believe they are very intelligent dogs so she might learn to leave the birds alone. Maybe. ;)

The baby birds just look like lumps of fluff. :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Yes she will learn, I think she sees it as an opportunity to play and of course that means bite and shake, She is a lovely little dog, she has the staffie tendency to chase anything that moves. My staffies love people, especially children but other animals beware. She also has a very stubborn streak in her unlike the male, he is a soppy thing who talks constantly. He even answers you back when you talk to him. Hopefully one day I will get a good video of them up to show you. They are very receptive to tone of voice, that is all it takes, the tone in our voice to communicate what we want them to do. Thank goodness! as they can be a handfull if left to be unruly. The thing is when I am not there she tends to forget herself with birds or mice or lizards especially.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 9:56 pm

It does sound as though your female staffie is the leader of the pack, Dawn. :lol: I did read that they are very courageous dogs who have no real fear which is why they are so good with children. The web article said it is fear that causes dogs to bite & staffies don't know the meaning of the word. :lol: It also said that these dogs have gotten a bad rep due to unscrupulous breeders renaming their illegal pit bulls & American Staffie Xs (always suss) as Staffordshire terriers. :x A video of them would be great.

The baby Laughing doves look too big for their nest, already!! They probably snoozed through the wind, too. It could have rocked them to sleep. Some baby birds lead a very precarious existence, don't they???
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Dec 2009, 5:08 pm

I will keep it short as I dont want to turn a bird thread into a doggy one

She is definately the one with the more interesting character. They are pack dogs but they make their owners the leader, in most cases, I think. DH is very soft with them, but if I wasn't strict I wouldn't be able to get them into line should I need to, they are too strong for me to control physically. But as I said earlier they are very responsive to voice tone and not viscious dogs so we have very little incident, then only with other animals maybe.
    Most people are afraid of them when they see them play as they have a raw power about them. But it is something you get to used to and understand and begin to realise that they are only rough housing.
    Yes I believe, that if they are cross bred, usually by backyard breeders they can come out with streaks in their character that are undesirable. Also with ANY dog if you teach it to be vicious it will be, won't it !!

Yes! It is really sad that they have this reputation as they have a lovely character, and are a very misunderstood breed.
    Did I say I would keep it short

Btw Mummy Dove is leaving them for most of the day now. I never saw her there once yesterday. She must be feeding them as they are very quiet. Gosh they are growing so quickly.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 16 Dec 2009, 8:43 am

It is your topic, Dawn.. If you want to turn it into a doggie topic, then you may do so. :lol:

Wiki has an excellent article on Staffies & it quoted "That no breed loves its family more". It also said that they are, temperamentally, unsuited for guard & attack-dog training due to their love for people. Also, this can make them easier to dognap. :(

Whatever, mum & dad Laughing doves are feeding the babies, it must be very rich in nutrients if it keeps them quiet all day. Many of these sorts of birds mature quickly & are ready to leave the nest within a few weeks.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 16 Dec 2009, 11:47 pm

I have found another LD nest in another tree in the garden . We are going to have a nursery here just now. Ask Keith if I can relocate them to his farm .
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 16 Dec 2009, 11:49 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 17 Dec 2009, 1:25 am

Getting back to the Staffies.

I read the article in Wiki you mentioned Joy and found it very enlightening as I never knew this re: people calling Pitbulls Staffies and therefore when there is a bad incident it is the Staffie that is blamed. That was very interesting, they are spot on with all the other info too.

Our two are not perfect specimens as far as looks are concerned they would never win any shows is what I am trying to say,although they are both genuine Staffies and have pedigree papers.

The male is from England my daughter brought him out, he was a runt of the litter much smaller than the brother and sisters.

The female is from a local breeder up in the Karoo, she was also considered a runt.
    Haven't her from a puppy either, she was 14 months old when we got her. She rehomed so well as the article says they do. We renamed her too, which might have seemed a bit too hard on her but was a good thing at the time. It is a long story and I won't get into why. She took to both changes very well.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 17 Dec 2009, 4:22 pm

You have become a Laughing dove nursery all right, Dawn!! :lol: You must be providing an ideal environment for them. Fantastic. Have you seen the pics of the Willie Wagtail's very neatly crafted tiny nest, in the pics I took in Bruiser's brother's garage????

The articles seem to have been right on the mark as regards your Staffies. They, also, have found a wonderful home.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 20 Dec 2009, 2:33 am

Well our baby's are now, how can I say 'juveniles' I had to be quick, they were getting very edgy with me being there.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 20 Dec 2009, 2:35 am

Here is the second nest with the mother on the eggs.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 20 Dec 2009, 8:46 am

Two wonderful images Dawn. :cheers: The babies will be exercising their flight feather before you know it. They sure have grown up quick.

The image of the mother Laughing dove is beautiful. She looks so content sitting there. Top shots!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 7:40 pm