OUR IMAGES

Veggies 2013

default Re: Veggies 2013

Post by Guest on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 6:08 am

Pleased with the tatters Bruiser, and the tomatoes are changing colour now.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 7:05 am

Those certainly are beautiful looking potatoes, BigBilly & I agree the beefsteak toms are ginormous. So pleased for you that things have gone well in your veggie garden. :D 

Your new girls are very attractive, I must say. What type of chickens are they? As a frog lover I must say your's is handsome indeed. They definitely are great friends of the gardener. 

Thank you for posting these pics, BB. Love them. :love:

Post by Guest on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:12 pm

Getting ripe, the first one weighed 910 grammes.

Post by Guest on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:16 pm

The white chooks are Light Sussex and the blue ones are a hybrid called Bluebelle Joy
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:36 pm

What a HUGE tomato, BigBilly. (Just over 2lbs for the Americans.:D )  They do look good, too. 

Our knowledge of chooks is limited. Tend to just know white leghorns (I think). Bruiser once had an old VW which was called Bluebell. :lol:  It was really cold in winter as the driver's window wouldn't wind up. :cold:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 11:47 am

Wow you got some nice looking potatoes BBilly and the tomatoes look fantastic.
    granny

Post by granny on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 12:21 am

:thanks: BigBilly for the pictures.  The potatoes and tomatoes looks great.  The big tomatoes look so good!!  I love tomatoes.  :wow: Great picture of the frog and chickens.    I hope Betty is feeling good.  Granny

Post by Guest on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:34 pm

Nearly lost the war with the cabbage white butterfly.

Eggs

Post by Guest on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:37 pm

The catterpillar.

Post by Guest on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:41 pm

The damage.

Post by Guest on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:45 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:45 pm

:wow:  Oooh, that looks nasty, BigBilly. Handy catch but that is quite an infestation, isn't it? What a mess, they are hungry little critters, aren't they? Certainly have destroyed those veggies. The caterpillar stands out though & would make it easier to spot on a cabbage leaf. 

We have some fluttering around but they don't bother us as we don't have anything for them to eat. :lol:

Post by Guest on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:49 pm

Managed to save some with a netting frame, will be ready next time.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:54 pm

Great work, BigBilly. :bravo:  That is a fantastic set-up. :good:  It will keep the nasty critters out. Cannot believe just how much damage the caterpillars caused so quickly. What a shame.

The rest of your veggie garden looks great, too.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 12:32 am

I had the same problem with my cabbage.  Considering not planting them next year.  Seem the sevin dust does not help.

By the way...(sorry to be so dumb) but what are chooks?
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 12:34 am

The netting frame is a great idea....was it costly?
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 3:07 am

Not dumb at all Glad :smile:  "Chooks" is an English and Ozz abbreviation for Chickens lol.

Here in Ozz we abbreviate everything and if its a short name we lengthen it :lol2:  now that's Dumb eh :laugh:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 5:22 am

bruiser wrote:Not dumb at all Glad :smile:  "Chooks" is an English and Ozz abbreviation for Chickens lol.

Here in Ozz we abbreviate everything and if its a short name we lengthen it :lol2:  now that's Dumb eh :laugh:
    Thank you Bruiser!

Do you call chicken legs drumsticks by any chance?  That's what we call them.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 5:30 am

yep we sure do Glad lol

Post by Guest on Sun 08 Sep 2013, 5:31 am

Glad E Olah wrote:The netting frame is a great idea....was it costly?
    Hi Glad,  The wooden frames both came from waste skips. the short one on the left was part of a packing case for
     machinery that my son brought home from work. Its for very small insects like carrot fly, with a very fine white mesh. The one on the right is made from 2 x 1 that came off the roof of the old school next door that is having an extension built on.  The netting on them both was bought from a firm not far away from here called Gardening Naturally.  The black net is 7mil square mesh and i bought a bit 13 foot by 33 foot for about £25.  Cant remember what the fine mesh one was, more expensive I think,  but if you can get on their web site they have many sorts.
    And there must be firms that sell it near you.
    I'm sure the frames would be easy for your son to knock up.

The taller one is nice and light to move about, the other one is much heavier but thats how the wood came off the packing cases. but would be better made with the 2 x 1 inch much lighter wood, roof battens we call it here.
    Still experimenting with different heights etc for the various crops.  " Be prepared " as the boy scouts say, I will be better prepared for next year.  Should have said i made them in four separate panel per cage to make them easy to move.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 6:27 am

Going to try this next spring.  If you remember from my pictures there are three areas of raised beds that were used for the grandkids.  I have since added a new one but not with wood.  I have placed blocks around it.  These areas would be easy to add protection like you have.

Thanks for the info!

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm