OUR IMAGES

The 2013 Garden

Glad E Olah

default Re: The 2013 Garden

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 29 May 2013, 2:43 pm

Thanks joy.

I like to use dill seed or weed with butter to brush on chicken for the BBQ or baking in the oven. Really does something to the chicken!

Haven't tried it on fish so that sounds like something I must try.

One thing for sure....dill can be controlled if you keep on top of it. Remember a couple of years ago I had none?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 29 May 2013, 3:05 pm

Yes, sure do, Glad. It has grown like wildfire, as they say. :D

Apparently, dill is considered a great herb for fish & eggs as well as potato salad & green veggies. A useful herb indeed.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 31 May 2013, 2:34 pm

It is nearly midnight here and we had several nice showers on the garden today. More may come in the morning. We do not need the storms but the rain is much needed for sure.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 31 May 2013, 2:38 pm

Do hope you avoid storms, Glad but a good soaking would be very welcome for your garden, I'm sure.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 12:14 pm

Will try to take some new pictures tomorrow.  We are eating beans, peas, lots of lettuce, onions, spinach and other greens, yellow squash, zucchini so far.  Cabbage should not be much longer and the tomatoes are about the size of golf balls already.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 2:06 pm

Fantastic, Glad, this is good news. Your garden is doing you proud. Wonderful & so healthy too. :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 3:34 pm

Lovely enjoy them Glad !

Post by Guest on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 4:53 pm

Well done Glad ,makes all the work worthwhile once you start eating doesn't it.   Our veggie garden is recovering now after a very slow start and its still very cold at times.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:33 pm

As promised:

A few new pictures of the over all garden:

Tomatoes and peppers to right....to left a mixture.

Looking a different direction of the above picture

Lettuce, endive, peppers and kale close up

Romaine lettuce, squash, peas

A different view of the above picture

A third view of same locale

A corner of one of the kids garden

A different view from west to east

Spaghetti Squash close up

Blackberries

A few sweet potatoes....corn just planted
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:32 pm

My word, Glad, your garden is looking fantastic. It is really thriving, all green, lush, healthy-looking & flourishing so well. You must be so pleased with how it looks & how it is producing. Congratulations on all you have accomplished. Your hard work is really paying off, isn't it? :D  

Thank you for posting these wonderful photos & showing us just how well your veggie garden is doing. :thanks:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:10 pm

And thank you Joy.

I am really anxious for a spaghetti squash.

We had a 2 inch rain today and I just know the garden will pop now.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:21 pm

Sounds like good rain, Glad. That will really help your garden to thrive even more. :D

Have read spaghetti squash has a long growing season like most of its family. So far yours look okay to me but then what would I know. :lol:

Here is a link to a webpage about growing spaghetti squash which may have a few useful tips.

Growing Spaghetti Squash
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 11:08 pm

Thanks Joy.

I am placing the link at SATW also.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm

'wow' is the word al-right, awesome vegetables and so large an area under growth , even the child's garden is large. Looking very very successful again this year Glad. Lots of work in there.  It is very inspirational looking at these photos. :clap::good::cool4:

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

wow!everything turns out the way you wanted it.
    Congratulations!Hope the weather won't destroy any hard work you guys did. :good::clap::clap:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 1:34 pm

No new pictures to post but the garden has kept me busy for weeks along with the grand kids.

School starts in less than a month now and  the garden will be slowing down by then also.  I will plant a few fall veggies but they are not as time consuming.

The garden has produced fair this year....nothing over abundant but enough to eat fresh and give to family and friends.  And that is what it is all about.

Will need to get a picture of the blackberries....they are starting to ripen for the season.

We are eating cucumbers, beans, peppers, okra, squash, and tomatoes.  The cabbage is done.  I planted new beans and squash a couple of weeks ago and they are up great now.  The should produce in about 6 - 8 more weeks.....just in time for fall.  Not sure how much more will be planted for fall but sure want the turnips and fall lettuce.

The garden does look ragged now as things are dying off....that's why no new pictures.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 1:35 pm

Krocker360 wrote:wow!everything turns out the way you wanted it.
    Congratulations!Hope the weather won't destroy any hard work you guys did. :good::clap::clap:

Hello Krocker!  Nice to meet you!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 1:56 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:No new pictures to post but the garden has kept me busy for weeks along with the grand kids.

School starts in less than a month now and  the garden will be slowing down by then also.  I will plant a few fall veggies but they are not as time consuming.

The garden has produced fair this year....nothing over abundant but enough to eat fresh and give to family and friends.  And that is what it is all about.

Will need to get a picture of the blackberries....they are starting to ripen for the season.

We are eating cucumbers, beans, peppers, okra, squash, and tomatoes.  The cabbage is done.  I planted new beans and squash a couple of weeks ago and they are up great now.  The should produce in about 6 - 8 more weeks.....just in time for fall.  Not sure how much more will be planted for fall but sure want the turnips and fall lettuce.

The garden does look ragged now as things are dying off....that's why no new pictures.

Your veggie garden has done well, Glad. So pleased for you that all your hard work has paid off with lovely fresh produce. Can you plant some more cabbage for the late summer/ early autumn growing season?? It does seem to be a leafy green suitable for the type of cooler weather cooking. 

We used to pick blackberries, that were growing wild, during the warm afternoon sun of autumn. They were delicious but here in Australia all the wild blackberries are sprayed with herbicide as it is declared a noxious weed. :sad3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 22 Jul 2013, 4:09 am

That is sad that blackberries are considered a weed.  They will get out of hand even the thornless-tame ones like I have.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 22 Jul 2013, 7:05 am

Yes it is sad, Glad but as many of the plants that are introduced from the Northern Hemisphere tend to quickly take over it's not surprising. If you could only see what has happened with the introduced lantana, morning glory & camphor laurel trees in the region where we live. They are rampant weeds. Shame really.

Post by Guest on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 3:55 am

Terrific pic's of your garden Glad, you must be very pleased with it all, very well done.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:47 pm

A hint that the summer garden is winding down some.  I have picked cucumbers every day for weeks now.  Made lots of bread and butter pickles, dill pickles, sweet relish, dill relish, gave cucumbers away and still cucumbers.  The vines are showing stress now so in a way I am thankful for that.

Tomatoes were not the best this year but plenty to eat.

The late beans are coming on now.  And this past week I planted the fall garden of peas, beets, several types of lettuce, kale, spinach, onions, radishes and turnips.  We had a very nice rain today so things will be popping soon.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:55 pm

So very pleased for you, Glad, that your garden is still doing well, even though the summer veggies are tapering off. It seems to have been a great summer for your veggies. Well done. :bravo: 

Also happy for you that your late season garden has gotten off to a wonderful start. That is great to hear. Even the weather appears to be co-operating. :D  Good stuff.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:45 pm

Spaghetti Squash a few weeks ago....the squash turned bright orange and we picked them.  The plant is gone now.

Another view of the spaghetti squash

Mulch that was delivered on Monday

Okra

Beets
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:22 pm

Wow, Glad, you have had another great growing season. More fantastic produce plus good-looking mulch to get it ready for next year. :) 

You have become quite the proficient gardener & your veggie garden is a wonderful credit to your hard work & that of your family. :bravo:

Thank you for posting these pics & keeping us up to date. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:56 pm

Thanks Joy!

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:40 pm