OUR IMAGES

The 2013 Garden

Glad E Olah

default The 2013 Garden

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:42 am

Son did some experimenting with planting seeds indoors back in January. (Way to early since spring is slowly arriving this year.) The plants got so big he had to put them in the ground twice (the first time it got too cold and he lost them.) He replanted others and they are hanging on with the help of plastic. He still has more plants in case we loose more.

Son is wanting to try his hand with square gardening along with the traditional garden.

There are lettuce, spinach, radishes, beets and potatoes planted so far but too early for germination as of yet.

I have some red onions that I want to plant soon.

The plants that are planted (which may need replanted again) are: Tomatoes and peppers.
    Glad E Olah

default Re: The 2013 Garden

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:26 am

Still a long way from full planting yet but wanted you to see the ongoing project.  

A few short rows of potatoes.

Something my son has created....not sure what will be growing on this.

The filling of the raised beds by younger son.

Companion gardening method (over look the blocks they need to be set further in the ground.) A few seeds have been planted and the first trial with companion gardening.

Tilling the soil by the oldest son.

Post by Guest on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:46 pm

Great to see you are able to make a start Glad. Looks like you have some interesting
    projects going on there.

Still frozen ground here but am starting stuff inside in pots and cell trays.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:25 pm

Thanks BBilly. Our temps are hovering an average of 35 at night so hopefully the big freezes are gone for awhile.
    The days are warming up to the upper 60's which is ideal planting temps.

I may have over did my small part in the garden yesterday. You don't
    see me in the pictures because I took them....but I did do work. I even
    shoveled some of the dirt. I paid for it last night with a sugar drop
    down to 61. I got it to come back up to 92 before bed by drinking orange
    juice, eating peanut butter and crackers.

The three raised beds
    will be the gardens for my three granddaughters. If grandson wants one
    we will prepared him a plot too. The granddaughters will have to take
    care of each of their own little garden and will choose what to plant.

Post by Guest on Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:33 am

Great idea with the raised beds and the kids Glad, try and get them interested while they are young.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 2:15 pm

My word, Glad. That is some serious gardening you have got going there. You & your son are doing a great job. :D

It is good to see so many of your family getting involved as well. That is the benefits of having a large yard, I guess. The whole yard, front & back, of our unit complex would be lucky to be the same size as your back yard. :lol3:

It is good to see you getting an early start but it is a shame that your son lost some plants. Weather can be so unpredictable you can but only try & see if you can be lucky to get some to survive. All the best for the ones you have growing now. Thanks for the pics you have posted.

Take care of yourself though.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 11:50 am

In the last 3-4 days we have gotten most of the garden planted. The grands had an enjoyable time on Saturday and granny was bone tired! Didn't know if I would get out of bed the next day but I made it. It has been very windy. I wanted to take pictures of the grands planting and forgot to take out the camera. They still need to plant peppers so will try to take the pictures then. You all are going to be amazed at how the garden looks. Both sons did a terrific job for me.

Corn usually does not do well in my garden but may allow the grands to plant a few just to so they can watch them grow.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

It sound as though everything is going to plan & that you all had a great day. Apart from you being all stiff & sore the next day. :faint:

Looking forward to seeing how well your garden has grown already, Glad. It is wonderful your family is such a big help. Still as they do eat the results I guess it is only fair, isn't it? :lol3:

Good idea letting your granddaughters plant some corn. It might be interesting to see how it does. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 8:04 am

Uploading pictures of the early sprouting of the seeds:

Yellow Tomatoes

German Tomatoes

Onions in Planters

Part of the Grand's Gardens

Lettuce in forefront and Peas in back.

Other side of the peas....you can see a bit of the lettuce coming up to the bottom of the picture also.

Cabbage and Broccoli just recently planted

Radishes

Difficult to see currently but this area is for the tomatoes and peppers....will get a better picture later.

Potatoes coming up great

A different view of the grands gardens.

A Robin's nest in a small cedar tree on edge of yard.

Please note the garden area still needs work and will be accomplished in the next few months.....we needed to plant and do work as garden grows.  There is clover planted in the pathway of kid's gardens and more clover will be planted throughout the walking area of the total garden.  This is suppose to be beneficial to garden in general.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 8:46 am

My word, Glad, your garden is going to look fantastic!! :bravo: It is already looking good & the layout is wonderful. Using clover for the paths is a terrific idea indeed. Its flowers are a great attractant for honey bees & it would be so soft underfoot.

Everything is coming together, so well, in your garden & does show how effective planning can be. It will be a source of much pleasure for you all, as will your pics for us. :lol3: Many thanks for these pics.

Never really realised just how blue robin's eggs are. Thank you for showing them to us especially as we don't have them here. They go to a great deal of trouble to build their nest, don't they? I suspect they will also help to keep insects, at bay, from your garden.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 8:51 am

Thanks for your comments Joy.

Yes, the robin's eggs are beautiful! Strange they are blue when there is no blue on the bird itself.

I will post more pictures of yard and garden when I get them.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 21 Apr 2013, 11:10 pm

The girls are proud of the progress in just a short time.

Post by Guest on Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:36 am

I can see that all the hard work is paying off Glad as the garden takes shape, well done.

Great to see the girls are involved too.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:03 am

They have a right to be, Glad. Their gardens are looking really good. They are lovely looking girls too. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 28 May 2013, 1:59 pm

A few pictures to show the progress of this year's garden:

A small patch of swiss chard.......most of the seed did not come up and I only had one package.

Tomatoes to the left and a square garden affect.....lots of trial and error but we are experimenting....ignore the weeds and the bottom blocks will be gone to another location at some point.

Nasturtium

Close up of a couple of tomato plants....there are pepper plants in the foreground

Cabbage and a volunteer potato

Finally cucumbers come up against the fense....bush beans in the front and back of row

Another view of cabbage and broccoli to the left

Endive

Romaine in front....snow peas in back

The front view of snow peas

Zucchini

Looking down on the grands garden....clover in the walk area

Beets....they came up spotty but that is ok

A small spot of spinach....there are lots of these small spots through out the garden to experiment this type of planting.

A lone pepper

Volunteer tomato...have no idea what kind...it came up in the lettuce

Yellow squash and yellow lemon cucumber along the fence

One of the kiwi plants

spaghetti squash

Raspberry

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 May 2013, 2:20 pm

It is all looking so good, Glad. Everything seems to be thriving. All that work you put in when establishing the garden with compost & mulch has paid off. Your grandchildren's gardens are also looking very lush.

All in all something to be very proud of. You have done well & it will be happy eating very soon. Thank you for posting these pics. :smile:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 28 May 2013, 2:28 pm

I picked a dish pan full of lettuce (all varieties mixed) this afternoon....it has been that way for about 10 days now....giving some away.....the peas are blooming now and so are the tomatoes
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 May 2013, 2:30 pm

Good to hear, Glad. The swiss chard will be like that when it starts leafing out. It's ideal for continued picking as it just keeps on growing & growing, doesn't it?
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 28 May 2013, 2:35 pm

Joy wrote:Good to hear, Glad. The swiss chard will be like that when it starts leafing out. It's ideal for continued picking as it just keeps on growing & growing, doesn't it?

First year for it that is why I only purchased one pack of seeds....came up spotty...for I had planted the whole pack in that little area....I picked a few leaves and mixed it with spinach, beet tops and other greens and it blended in with the rest.

Have you ever eaten nasturtium? I looked on line and you are suppose to be able to eat the green leaves and the flowers.

http://www.herbalgardens.com/archives/articles-archive/nasturtiums.html
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 28 May 2013, 2:40 pm

Too early yet for pictures but I planted a few herbs in some of the block holes. Will get pictures as they start to grow.

I still have lots of herbs yet to plant and plenty of blocks.

Question: I wonder if herbs come back each year? It does get cold here in the winter.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 May 2013, 2:54 pm

We tend to call swiss chard silver beet, Glad, although here in Oz it is called spinach, which it's not. :lol3:

It will grow much taller with larger leaves. When it is bigger the green part of the leaves can be torn into pieces which is better than slicing with a knife. Some people will eat the stalk of the leaves, sliced & either steamed or simmered, served with other veggies or in a white sauce, etc.

No, I have never eaten nasturtiums but do know the leaves & flowers are popular in salads & have a slight peppery flavour. They are treated as a herb. In a garden they must be restrained as they tend to gallop along if left to grow free. Enjoy yours & they will add a lovely splash of colour in your veggie garden.

Some herbs can be perennials but with a very cold winter climate, as in getting frosts & snow, many will need to be treated as annuals. If you can harvest seeds, as you can with your dill, well & good but most seeds aren't that expensive are they. Many herbs are from the Mediterranean regions so don't suffer cold winters well. At least with annuals you will get nice fresh new plants each year. Here, where we live, most herbs are perennials.

Post by Guest on Tue 28 May 2013, 5:41 pm

Good and interesting pics of the progress in your garden Glad.

Re the herbs, we manage to grow sage,mint, marjoram, chives and rosemary in the garden as perennials, also wild garlic but keep it in a pot as it spreads so much. Also have a bay tree in a pot so we can move it close to the house wall in winter, but it stays outside all the time. Grow parsley in a pot so we can get in the greenhouse for the winter.

We live 600 feet up in the Cotswold hills and get down into minus double figures in winter.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 29 May 2013, 1:09 pm

Thanks Joy and BBilly.

I haven't planted the Rosemary yet....thanks for reminding me BBilly.

Today the grands were here and we planted a few flowers in pots and also in a few of the holes of the blocks in the garden.

Joy, you mentioned dill...wow do I have it coming up everywhere! We had cleared it from where it was located and put in a spot....then son revamped the garden and moved soil around to other location.....you guessed it....dill is in a lot of areas now. I was beginning to wonder about even needing it since the cucumbers were having problems coming up....but now we are getting some cucumbers to germinate.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 29 May 2013, 2:23 pm

Oh dear, how quickly your dill has become a weed, Glad. :lol3: Fortunately, the dill plant's lovely feathery leaves have many uses in the kitchen as do its seeds which aren't limited to cucumbers. The leaves go well with soups, fish, dips, spreads etc. Here is a link to a site giving some hints on cooking uses & has many links to other sites on its uses as well as recipes. There are also some on its health benefits especially for upset stomachs.

Dill Uses

It does seem as though your grandchildren are becoming avid gardeners which will hold them in good stead in the future. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 29 May 2013, 2:43 pm

Thanks joy.

I like to use dill seed or weed with butter to brush on chicken for the BBQ or baking in the oven. Really does something to the chicken!

Haven't tried it on fish so that sounds like something I must try.

One thing for sure....dill can be controlled if you keep on top of it. Remember a couple of years ago I had none?

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:32 am