OUR IMAGES

Pamela001's Bromeliad

default Pamela001's Bromeliad

Post by Guest on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 3:07 am

Hi everyone, question about my Joseph
    He's grown a fair bit since i first bought him in February from a store. He's even grown a few more petals and opened up. But i can't help but notice some strange brown....whatever it is. honestly i have no idea what it is. I've even notice some strange goldish brown sap leaking from the flower. Does anyone have any idea what this could be i'm starting to think Joseph is coming to an end, though he's still green and red. i haven't noticed any 'pups' growing though.
    Anyone got any ideas. It sort of looks like an infection...can plants get an infection ? -->
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Pamela001's Bromeliad

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 7:42 am

Do think all of this is just an effect of the bromeliad's flowerhead or bract dying off. While I do not have any bromeliads they are in the same family as my aechmea fasciata "Primera". Their colourful bracts will last nine months with the actual flowering only lasting for a few weeks. Any "sap" would probably be oozing as an attractant for pollinating critter in the wild.

Plants most definitely can get infections, Pamela, but they are usually quite obvious. This doesn't seem, from the pic, to be the case here as the rest of the plant looks good. My advice would be to keep on watering it, as usual, & see what happens. :luck: The pups can appear without warning too. My aechmea (Silver Urn) had five pups before I realised what was happening, which I removed & potted, then another six before she eventually died off.

PS Have moved your post to its own topic here in Epiphytes. :smile:

Post by Guest on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:47 am

Question -
    Soon i'm going to harvest Joseph's pups, and was wondering, could it be alright to pot them together, so should i pot them seperate, i'm guessing if they're going to grow as big as Mommy then i will need a big pot ! would it be okay to put them in the same pot, and them when they're abit bigger repot them ?
    i didn't preparing for babies, i may need to go get more pots...and soil
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 8:22 am

Yes, you could pot them together as this is how they grow in the wild but, as they have a beautiful spreading growth habit, it could inhibit this. They can stay with the parent plant for quite a while until they are fairly well established, ie about a 1/3 - 1/2 the size of the parent, or more. :cool4:

The size of the pot, & the amount of soil, doesn't matter for these plants as they aren't using the soil for nutrients just as an anchor. They get their nutrients from the water in their "cups". They don't mind a dose of fertiliser every so often, either. :luck:

default Urn bromeliad pup

Post by Guest on Sun 20 Oct 2013, 11:51 pm

Hi guys.

The urn bromeliad plant I got my mom was lovely, and started to grow two pups. unfortunately when I separated the pups, I think I over watered one, it started rotting :( I still have one left, which seems alright, but it's been about 2 months, and it doesn't look like it's growing any roots or anything. should I wait for abit longer ? don't see any major growth, though leaves are still growing from the cup.

How do I water them ? in the cup now ? or still lightly water at the base ? I think what happened was the soil wasn't well drained. I am not having any luck with these pups :/ my mom has got a purple rain which is growing pups, she loves the pups, so I don't want to pot them when they're big enough, only to have them die @_@ any advice ?

the urn pup is about 15cm tall now. still green etc.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 21 Oct 2013, 8:16 am

Hi Pamela.

How big were these pups when you separated them from the parent plant & how did you remove them? If they were small they may not have had enough stem to grow their anchor roots. The ones I have removed, to put into their own pots, were larger & had tough stems mostly already with some anchor roots. 

Remember, these roots aren't like normal plant roots as they aren't required for plant sustenance. They just help hold the plant in place on tree branches or other types of growing spots. Have seen pics of them growing along powerlines.

These plants are watered in the cups which is where they get their nutrients from. A half dose of liquid fertiliser added to the water roughly once a month can be of benefit too although mine seem to do all right without it. They are outside so they do get insects, leaf litter etc drop into the water in their cups which gives them nutrients. 

The soil, in the pot, can be watered just to keep it moist but it isn't necessary. Once when I had to move some of my aechmia fasciata "Primera" (urn plants) I found that the pot one was in had disintegrated & it was growing on a little mound of soil. It was held upright by the other plants around it. :lol3: 

Mine do tend to be a bit neglected, in that they are only watered when I remember to do so, which may be why they do okay. :whistle:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Dec 2017, 5:22 am