OUR IMAGES

Pamela001's Beautiful Orchids

default Re: Pamela001's Beautiful Orchids

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:14 am

Here are my 3 blooming orchids - Adam ( my first ) is in the process of growing a new stem, so maybe in a few months he will start blooming again.
    Right, This is Ajax, my big handsome boy -

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:19 am

This is Fabio ! Because he's Fabulous !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:23 am

Ajax & Fabio are both beauties, Pamela, I envy you. Dawn is our orchid expert & I had no luck with my phalaenopsis orchids as they died after the flower was finished. Think they may get mistreated prior to purchase, perhaps. It does sound as though Adam is reflowering so congratulations!! :bravo:

Thank you for posting the images of your handsome boys. :photos: :thanks:

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:25 am

Lastly...this is no name i haven't given him one yet, just waiting for the right one to pop up. But isn't he lovely ?

Any name suggestions would be welcome
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:29 am

It certainly is a beautiful orchid, Pamela. As this one appears to be a phalaenopsis or moth orchid, perhaps a name starting with P or M could be appropriate. :cool4:

You seem to be doing something right as you have a good collection of orchids. :cool3:

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:35 am

Joy wrote:Ajax & Fabio are both beauties, Pamela, I envy you. Dawn is our orchid expert & I had no luck with my phalaenopsis orchids as they died after the flower was finished. Think they may get mistreated prior to purchase, perhaps. It does sound as though Adam is reflowering so congratulations!!

Thank you for posting the images of your handsome boys.

Thank Joy. It was alot of hard work though !
    When i first had Adam and his flowers started to wither, i thought 'that's it. he's dying'. His stem started turning yellow, and i panicked. I also think he was mistreated. when i got him his roots were brownish and ugly. still are, but the roots lower down are still green and healthy. someone must have left him in water too long. I snipped him to the nearest 'nub' and was relieved when he stopped turning brown. i searched through websites, watched videos and talked to the plant care givers at B&Q. i was determined not to let him die ! (mom said he wouldn't last a month with me ) besides, he was still growing leaves, he couldn't have been dead. i just made adjusts, like misting him, and draining water, rather than letting him sit in the water and rotting the roots. i got him some orchid food and put him in a slightly colder room for a few days. It will take a few months but at least there is progress
    the other orchids on here are beautiful ! my gran got me started on orchids, so they hold a special place in my heart. when i saw Ajax, Fabio and No Name, i started my collection. WIll make sure i can keep them alive before expanding into other sub-species Moth orchids are definately my favourite....OH ! WAIT ! Monty !!!! I will call him Monty the Moth Orchid !!! No Name is now Monty !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Pamela001's Beautiful Orchids

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:45 am

Flower stems do turn yellow as they die & should then be snipped off about 5cms from the bottom or so my care labels said. The brown rotten roots should also be snipped off leaving just the green healthy looking roots. Dawn suggests using cinnamon powder sprinkled on the roots to avoid root rot. You do seem to be looking after them very well. :clap: I have trouble getting it cool enough here for my cymbidiums. :lol:

Monty does sound a great name for it. :yes:

Pamela, I think I shall move this post to your own topic in the Orchid forum further up in the Potted Gardening category (section). It does deserve its own spot. :good:

Last edited by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:49 am

Joy wrote:
    Pamela, I think I shall move this post to your own topic in the Orchid forum further up in the Potted Gardening category (section). It does deserve its own spot.
    Aww thank you i am talking too much
    And thanks for the advice, i will get back to Adam in the morning and do some prooning. Means i will have to repot him. first time i did that with Fabio, was a nightmare ! i didn't realise how hard it was to repot them. their roots are quite strong and stubborn
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:59 am

Nah, you aren't talking too much at all Pamela. :lol3:

Sometimes the air roots are hard to manipulate. I'd just leave them exposed but then again I'm not the expert. Dawn lives in South Africa so she is still sound asleep right now. As this is now Easter she may have plans & not visit APG for the next few days but she is certainly the best to advise you with orchid growing. Her's are beauties. :excited:

Anyhow re repotting. I used a combination of orchid soil mix & sphagnum moss as that was what my phalenopsises were already potted in, but they eventually died. :sad: My cymbidiums have not been repotted as it hasn't been necessary. Actually, they have been neglected lately, I'm afraid. :sorry2:

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:05 am

Joy wrote:Nah, you aren't talking too much at all Pamela.

Sometimes the air roots are hard to manipulate. I'd just leave them exposed but then again I'm not the expert. Dawn lives in South Africa so she is still sound asleep right now. As this is now Easter she may have plans & not visit APG for the next few days but she is certainly the best to advise you with orchid growing. Her's are beauties.

Anyhow re repotting. I used a combination of orchid soil mix & sphagnum moss as that was what my phalenopsises were already potted in, but they eventually died. My cymbidiums have not been repotted as it hasn't been necessary. Actually, they have been neglected lately, I'm afraid.
    You're joking !!! I'm from South Africa too !!!! I was born in Kaw-Zulu-Natal, Durban ! Small world Came over to England when i was 8. i still have family in Cape Town
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:10 am

It is a small world. Dawn lives in Cape Town & has family in England. :lol2:

PS I have answered some of your tillandsia queries too. ;)

Post by Guest on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:14 am

Hey guys, long time no see.
    Noticed there is new development with Adam. Lost his flowers some time ago, stem has been dying off, but leaves still growing. Come back from skiing in Austria (It was lovely ) and found something strange. Two lil nubs growing from the base of the plant. Now, should i be excited, are these new stems slowly but surely growing, or are they just new roots ? ? ? Can you see them ? the two lil stubs on each side ---
    Do tell -->
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:46 am

Hi Pamela, good to hear from you again. :hello2: Glad you had a great time skiing. :cool3: Me, I never got beyond the snow plough on the nursery slopes. Kept seeing myself going splat into the side of a building like a cartoon character. :laugh:

Anyhow, as to your query re the little green knobs. They do appear to be new roots growing, which is a good sign, as it does mean that Adam is doing some growing. Perhaps Dawn may be able to verify that.

The brown stem from the old flower will be able to be easily removed eventually. Just give it a slight twist now & then when it starts to look really old & withered & it will come away in your hand when it is ready.

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:54 am

Adam just keeps growing !!!
    i can see that now what i thought were new flower spikes were roots, but now something else has been growing, i am more hopefully,
    it is growing from inbetween two leaves, so i am thinking it's not a roots, but still, kind of early to tell // also looks like another root growing on the other side -
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:59 am

New roots are good, Pamela & at least your orchid is doing ok. Fingers crossed for a flower spike. :luck:

My phalaenopsis kicked the bucket, both of them. :aargh:

Post by Guest on Fri 24 May 2013, 9:30 am

Slight question about Adam, my first orchid.

He's been doing alot of growing (yay) i mean ALOT. he's maybe grown like 3-4 new leaves, with another growing now, and tones more roots, but i'm not seeing any new flower spikes forming. the roots grow up slightly, i get all happy, then they go down into the bark and soil etc. I am just wondering what's going on. yay he's growing, the leaves especially i might have to repot him or something, but really would like to see some flower spikes starting to grow. just seems like more and more leaves. even my other orchids now, slowly the original flowers are starting to wither, they are growing new leaves etc. anyone got any ideas ? ? ?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 24 May 2013, 9:54 am

Hi, Pamela. Quite frankly, I am no expert on orchids &, Dawn, our true orchid expert is away on holidays at the moment.

My thoughts are that the fact that your orchid is growing leaves & roots at the moment is a good thing. As their flower spikes last so long, I'd imagine they only flower once a year. More frequently when the plant matures.

Here is an interesting tidbit I picked up on the web:-

Phalaenopsis orchids have enormous root growth, so it’s best to use a clear pot so the light can get through to the roots. They’re saprophytic and epiphytic orchids – growing on trees and rocks.

This is a link to a good site with great info on the care of phalaenopsis orchids. This is from an American site so the info re the brand of fertiliser may be invalid but there are plenty of orchid fertilisers available everywhere. Just different brand names, that's all.

Phalaenopsis Orchids

Think your Adam is travelling nicely & is growing to get established. You certainly are lucky as my two just up & died. :sad3:

Post by Guest on Tue 28 May 2013, 1:38 pm

Pamela001 wrote:Lastly...this is no name i haven't given him one yet, just waiting for the right one to pop up. But isn't he lovely ?

Any name suggestions would be welcome

I'd like to name this one " pretty " would a nice name because it describe it very well and also the owner.
    that would be a really nice adjective name for both of you :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:37 am