OUR IMAGES

EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Post by Joy on Thu 28 Feb 2013, 3:19 pm

wE Found this small cane toad in some rainwater I had collected in a bucket. This is a tiny one compared to the fully grown adults which would have filled the water area in the bucket. They are introduced noxious pests & are a danger to native wilfdlife with their poison glands. These can be seen back behind the eyes & towards its back beside each arm. They are repulsive & breeding non-stop. There are now plenty of them in our area, unfortunately.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Post by Joy on Thu 28 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

It's trapped. Can't get out of the bucket.

This shows the cane toad's - bufo marinus - size compared to the bucket. Even though ot looks reasonably big it is much, much smaller than an adult. They can live for 15 years.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:46 am

Oh Wow!! Joy he looks very eeewww!!!. I must say!!!, almost like various mustard seeds sitting on his back. I like frogs and toads in their habitat but that is where it stops with me :). Croaks from any frog are as far a I like :) I have never ever seen one of these before now, the fact that he is not good for the other wildlife does put me off him a bit, silly of me really, but yugh looking isn't he !! How big do they get ? do you know ??
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:38 pm

We love our local native frogs & toads but cane toads are really noxious as they not only displace the native amphibians but will also poison native creatures, such as quolls & goannas, which attempt to eat them.

The adults grow to about 10-15cms body length & some can weigh as much as 2kg. They are truly a nasty pest. :whack!: :cranky: :mad:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 1:28 am

Are their lots of them Joy, are they rife ? They grow quite big then :O

thanks for the info Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 7:20 am

Yes, they are quite rife in our tropics & subtropics, Dawn, unfortunately & have even spread across to the beautiful & extensive Kakadu National Park over in the Northern Territory. The rotten things have even been found further south but they don't do too well in the colder winters. They grow even bigger than I mentioned in an earlier post, up to 23cms. :aargh:

These very noxious pests were introduced into Queensland, from South America, in the 1930's to help sugar cane farmers fight the native cane beetle. The cane toads weren't successful in doing the job but were highly successful in breeding & due to the fact there weren't any of their natural predators here they proliferated & spread. The rotten things. :grr: :mad4:

Here is a link to a great Wiki - Cane_toads_in_Australia
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

It always seems to be the case in lots of these situations the mistake seems to be made in trying to combat other things. Thanks for the link Joy! :) I find these things very interesting.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:31 am

That was quite a good Wiki, Dawn. Loved the bit about standing at the border with golf clubs ready to hit them back into Qld. :laugh:

Earlier I had found a cane toad in one of my plant pots & had accidentally picked it up. :sick2: Bruiser disposed of that one & the one in the water by picking them up with a plastic supermarket bag & tying the handle part tightly. He was going to put them in the freezer but I objected strongly, so he just put them in the wheelie bin.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:48 pm

I saw the cutest little toad in my garden late this afternoon.  It was a baby toad.  It would not move so I tickled it with a lettuce leaf and it jumped away into the grass.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 2:50 pm

That would be good to see in your garden, Glad, as they would gobble up the insects that fancy your veggies. We have some lovely native toads, as well as the beautiful frogs & people, in the northern parts of Australia, have to be careful to not kill them in error thinking they are the revolting noxious pest cane toad.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 3:12 pm

I hope he comes back Joy.  Maybe the next time I see him he will be a bigger toad.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 3:51 pm

That would be great, Glad. May be it will hibernate in your garden somewhere during winter & return ready to gobble up insects for you.  :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 3:55 pm

Well I would sure welcome him!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 4:00 pm

It was obviously hatched & lived as a tadpole, in some water near you, Glad, as I don't think they travel too far (I may be wrong there) so the possibility of it returning could be quite good.  :luck:
    granny

Post by granny on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 5:25 pm

:smile:   Frogs are so cute.  I hope he comes back to see you Glad.
            Granny

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm