OUR IMAGES

Beautiful Flowering Trees Beside The Pacific Highway

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Beautiful Flowering Trees Beside The Pacific Highway

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:58 am

An unknown tree still in bloom. There is a patch of these lovely trees along this stretch of the Pacific Highway which is north of Wardell & south of Ballina. This one is the tree in the middle of this shot.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Beautiful Flowering Trees Beside The Pacific Highway

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:00 am

Trees along this stretch of the Pacific Highway are smothered with morning glory or potato vines as can be seen by the mauve flowers even at the top of the tallest trees. It is a major pest in this region. The vines climb up over everything, covering the trees & end up stifling them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:01 am

More of the tree smothering morning glory/potato vines. This goes for kilometres along the roadside.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:03 am

A magnificent specimen of these unknown trees in flower. They are towards the end of their wonderful spring/early summer display. Their branches have a layered growth which is accntuated by the flowers giving them quite a dramatic effect. The morning glory vines do not seem to worry them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:04 am

Another of these trees. Think they are a species of subtropical rainforest tree. Their flowers are a fantastic creamy white when they start their flowering. They were starting to die off when these pics were taken. Usually, I miss getting pics of them at this time so I was lucky they were still in mostly bloom when these were taken.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:05 am

The morning glory pest with the unknown trees.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:06 am

Another of these lovely trees. It is not easy to take these images when the car is travelling at 100+kph, especially as my shutter speed is slow.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:06 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:08 am

More of these trees in amongst some eucalypts. They do have a spreading layered habit. Would love to know what species they are. Have looked through lists of Australian natives & cannot find it but it can be hard to ID from the pics & info in these lists.

granny

Post by granny on Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:49 pm

Thank you so much Joy!! Great pictures. Granny
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Jan 2013, 7:01 am

Thank you very much, Granny. Wish I knew what these trees are. It is hard to get a closer look, at them, when the car is travelling at 100+kph. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 7:50 pm

Lovely Trees Joy! :good: I tried to google white flowering trees in OZ but never was successful. I will remember these on my way around the internet. :photos:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

are they not perhaps any of these? I thought I would post some of these links !

Ivory curl tree

a little write up of it

another pic of the same tree

another variety called Commersonia fraseri

a better image Commersonia bartramia - Brown Kurrajong
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:25 am

Thanks for the research, Dawn. :D The first three links aren't the same as this tree but they do ID a beautiful shrub we have seen flowering in town. It is currently covered in those beautiful pendulous creamy flowers. Unfortunately, it lost a large branch of them during the big storm earlier this week.

The second tree does look more like the tree in question although apart from the image in the last link, where they weren't totally sure it was a brown kurrajong, the images in Google aren't easy to make an ID from. :lol3: The description (although not the pic) in the Wiki of the commersonia bartramia - brown kurrajong - tree does describe this tree well. A couple of weeks ago we went up to the Gold Coast, Qld & these lovely trees were flowering all along the road. None were as tall as the ones in my pics as many were growing alone by the roadside & weren't competing for light with other trees but they showed off the layered growth pattern very well.

Thank you for your searching Dawn & you have now answered two questions. :lol: Was intending to look myself after being able to catch glimpses of the leaves on these trees but never got around to it. :blush2:

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 1:53 pm