OUR IMAGES

More Of Our Travels On The Pacific Highway

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default More Of Our Travels On The Pacific Highway

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:13 pm

Some images taken yesterday when we headed north to Southport, in the Gold Coast of Queensland.

This is north of Ballina on the new bypass. It is still sunny but not for long, unfortunately.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: More Of Our Travels On The Pacific Highway

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:16 pm

Still on the new Ballina bypass. It has made a huge difference to road travel to Qld. There is another large bypass, with work just commencing, which will carry on from this one. Fantastic!!

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:18 pm

The sun is out again, but not for long. The wind is blowing really hard & the clouds are moving fast.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:18 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:20 pm

A deep cutting cut for the Pacific Highway. The wildlife protection fence continues along it. The rock directly beneath the fence is sprayed with concrete to stabilise it.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:22 pm

Still heading north. There weren't many sunny spots suitable to take more pics, unfortunately.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:23 pm

On our return the sky is really dark at Broadwater, which is the small village where we join the Pacific Highway when heading north. The steam is from the two steam stacks at the Broadwater sugar refinery.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:25 pm

This huge fig tree gets a large chunk cut out of it when the power company thinks its branches are getting too close to the power lines. It is more pronounced when you come from the other direction. It has a decided asymmetry to it with all of its growth on the side away from the road & power lines.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:26 pm

The grey skies & steam coming from the sugar mill.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:27 pm

It is jacaranda time & there are at least three beautiful large specimens growing beside a restaurant at Broadwater.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

Melba's Restaurant is in a lovely old home which cannot be seen in this image. It is difficult to get a clear line to take a pic when we are moving & there is other traffic about. This view shows two of it beautiful jacaranda trees. The footpath & the road beneath them has a carpet of purple petals, blown off the trees by the wind.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:30 pm

A purple haze as we drive past the jacaranda trees.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:55 pm

Super photos Joy! What a lovely route to travel along, pic no 2 and 3 are beautiful panorama's of the landscape in front of you, good shot. Thanks for sharing them. The Jacaranda blossom are a lovely sight to see, and we only see them inland here Joy! to the northeast if we are lucky enough to travel there which is never :). So it is a real treat to see them. :thanks: :photos:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 5:37 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :smile: It is getting to easier to travel north, with the new bypasses, but there will be quite a wait for the next one to open, though. :O

There is a huge Jacaranda Festival, about 130kms south of here, at a town called Grafton, where a large number of these trees were planted years ago. Jacarandas have naturalised here but they haven't become a pest, thank goodness, (unlike the rotten camphor laurels) as they are so pretty in flower & even their foliage looks good. :hello2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 6:00 pm

What a lovely thing to have "A festival of trees" :cheers: I would make an effort to see something like that for sure. You are lucky to still be able to have them growing there. They have been "outlawed" (so to speak) here to some degree. You still see them but they are very old trees planted years and years ago. I don't think one is able to buy one any in garden centres any longer as it is with Syringa tree's as well I think ?. It has something to do with taking too much water out of the ground ? I have not really gone into it. I don't think I have even seen a flamboyant's for sale. It is a pity as they are beautiful trees. Thanks again for the pics. Glad to hear of your By passes making life easier during travel. It makes all the difference doesn't it. :coolsign:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 7:51 am

The hundreds of jacaranda trees at Grafton are very old, Dawn, & were planted around 1879. The festival is on now & lasts for two weeks with purple everywhere. Even people's hair. :lol3: It is the oldest such floral-based festival in Australia.

As for it being an environmental weed, I did see, in one site (an American one), it is considered a "pest" tree in Australia but I haven't seen anything that states, categorically, that they cannot be bought or planted. It would be very easy to get seed from them. On another forum a poster states that it is an environmental weed in SE Qld but the very respectable ABC gardening website tells Queenslanders how to grow them & how much they cost, on average, to buy in Qld!! So who knows. :lol2:

Here is a link to the Jacaranda Festival official site. It has several pages of information.

Grafton Jacaranda Festival

The Ballina bypass has, most definitely, been a huge benefit in making the drive to Queensland much less stressful for the drivers & is a great boon for all the long-distance B-Double drivers.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:04 pm

Thanks for the link to the Jacaranda Festival Joy! what a beautiful way to celebrate a plant, seriously I have never seen any festival like this before. Whenever you see avenues of Jacarandas or Flamboyants in flower it is such a delight. It's a clever way for a city to capitalise on its natural resources, as I am sure it must generate for the city or town it is held in. The town I grew up in had avenues and avenues of them, also one found avenues of Flamboyant trees as well, so a little nostalgic for me. It must be a photographers dream too :). I love the photo in Pound street they are magnificent. Lovely! :coolsign: :thanks:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:23 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :smile: By Flamboyant do you mean the Jacaranda?? I have never heard them referred to by that name. :blush2:

The festival at Grafton would create a bit of a boost to their economy, which they would need, badly, as they have had a few setbacks lately. It also is a chance for the locals, & visitors, to let their hair down & have a good time with plenty of fun & frivolity happening.

On our drive back from Qld on Tuesday, I noticed a property which had an avenue of beautiful, large jacaranda trees. There wasn't a driveway going through the trees but simply a pathway. Perhaps it led to their letterbox. :lol2: It appeared (& disappeared) too quickly for me to get a pic, I'm afraid. :O
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:36 pm

sorry I used its "nick name" we use here. Delonix Regia or Poinsiana ? I think I mean.

Delonix Regia
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:48 pm

Aaaaah, the poinciana!! :idea: They are very popular here & some people have both as feature trees. They are also a widely used street tree which give plenty of shade in summer. There some beautiful specimens in our village.

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:47 pm