OUR IMAGES

Plan Ahead?

Glad E Olah

default Plan Ahead?

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 06 Oct 2012, 10:52 am

Guess it does not hurt to start planning next year's garden.

Son will have to shorten the width of the garden where the poll beans are this year. The little fence will be moved to another location. Some of the concrete blocks are shifting after a couple of years so he plans to cement them together. This will make them more permanent.

The asparagus patch will remain where it is but at the end where I had dill weed that will be moved. It is in the location of part of the steps on one side of the new deck. When the grands helped me with the dill this summer that pitched the excess of the plant in another part of the garden. So now I have dill coming up everywhere! I think with tilling the soil next spring it won't be a problem. I am planning to plant dill seed in the location of the winter onions so they will be off to themselves.

Next year's garden will not have brussel sprouts or cauliflower. Unless I can get them out very early. Did not pay to have them. I am considering no cabbage too. Will have to wait and see on that. Will plant more rows of okra and in a different area. Where the okra was this year will have potatoes. That area will be blocked in too. I may try to grow corn again if there is space. I think it would have done ok this year if the drought had not come along.

I plan to keep the other veggies I usually plant. I am already getting excited too! It will be here before you know it. The next three months will go by fast with the holiday season approaching. Then the January winter blues. After that the purchase of seeds will begin.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Plan Ahead?

Post by Joy on Sat 06 Oct 2012, 11:17 am

That does sound like an excellent plan. Glad. It is great you are already enthusiastic about next year's growing season. :bravo:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 4:32 pm

When my son built the deck most of the lay out for the garden is being changed. A bit upset but in the end will be better. I will be able to plant as usual when the time comes. I will have pictures.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

The deck will make it easier for you to get to the garden, too, won't it? Looking forward to the pictures.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:09 pm

Yes much easier and when you see the pictures you will be amazed at the difference.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm

Great, Glad. :D
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 12:07 am

Can't wait Glad :smile:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 07 Mar 2013, 2:14 pm

The weather turned very cold too cold to work outside. Warming up soon and son told me today he was going to get back to working in the area. We will have to plant around the work which is ok.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 07 Mar 2013, 2:33 pm

That is good to hear, Glad, except for the too cold to work outside bit, of course. :D We never have weather as cold as that fortunately for us.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:33 am

Yep you are lucky in the cold temp department Joy.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:48 am

Especially as we are creeping up to winter again, Glad, even though it is still very warm at the moment.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:26 am

One of these days it will warm up in my area but right now too cold to plant the temps we are experiencing. I am getting anxious!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:30 pm

That is a shame, Glad. Your winter does seem to dragging on doesn't it? Do hope your spring will be just around the corner & all will be well.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 3:01 pm

It will warm up one of these days. We have planted seeds in the house and they are growing great in little containers to transplant later.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

That is a good idea, Glad. This will give them a great head start for when the weather (& soil) warms up enough to plant them. BigBilly does this.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 2:05 am

It is really the only way to go in short growing climates.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:30 am

Guess we are very lucky here, Glad, as anyone with veggie garden can grow vegetables all year round. Only thing which would affect them is floods but we don't have those in our little town. :bravo:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:26 pm

Son and I went shopping this afternoon.

Purchased a variety of seeds (been looking for spaghetti squash and found some).

Son is going to connect garden hose together to make them go in several directions with connectors. This will help me with the watering. Dragging the hose (200 ft) is really hard on me with arthritis.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

That does sound like a great idea with the hose connectors, Glad. Hauling a long hose around is no fun for anybody, least of all for someone with arthritis. That would be enough to put anyone off watering. Many here use sprinklers probably for that very reason.

Have never eaten spaghetti squash. It does sound interesting. You are now getting into the swing of things by buying some seeds. Great stuff. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:52 pm

I plan to use the spaghetti squash instead of so much pasta. Less calories and less carbs. Doctor's orders!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:59 pm

Good idea, Glad. :good:

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm