OUR IMAGES

The Sydney Harbour Bridge & Glimpses Of Sydney

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: The Sydney Harbour Bridge & Glimpses Of Sydney

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

Approaching the southern end of the Sydney Harbour Bridge on the last part of the Cahill Expressway which leads to the bridge.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:31 pm

The northbound lanes on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:32 pm

There are commuter trains on the western side of the bridge which service the North Shore & some of the northern suburbs.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:33 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:34 pm

There are two tour groups heading up the eastern side of the harbour bridge's famous arch. One near the top & one down further.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:35 pm

Every inch of this massive structure is painted & when they reach one end it is time to start it all over again. In this pic can be seen a couple of bridge workers on the right of the large beam going across the bridge to the pylon. On the very top right can be seen a group of tourists doing the bridge climb. They are in the unflattering dull blue/grey jumpsuits which is the compulsory attire provided by the tour company. They are, also, not allowed to carry anything in case it is dropped & cause an accident to others below. Safety harnesses are provided & it is compulsory to use them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:37 pm

Here comes a commuter train.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:37 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:38 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:38 pm

We are now at the northern end of the bridge & the Bradfield Highway, at Milsons Point on the North Shore. This is the beginning of the Pacific Highway.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:12 pm

Gosh Joy! what a lovely thread, these are absolutely amazing pics of this beautiful massive bridge. It is Huge, I knew it was big but these pics show one just how
    big !!
    I answered you on the other thread and it was this one you were referring to sorry bout that :sheesh: Those palms are so beautiful. Boggles the mind to think that they have been there for a hundred years or more, I bet they could tell us a story or two about the history of the area. I would so love to see Sydney I believe it is a very beautiful city. :photos:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 7:10 am

Thank you, Dawn. :smile: :thankyou: The Sydney Harbour Bridge is certainly so "Sydney" & does help to make the city what it is. Of course, when it was being built, there were the usual knockers who complained "the money could be put to better use" & "no one will use it", just like they do now about any large scale projects governments undertake. Now, it is hard to imagine Sydney without it. :lol3: Do wish I had thought to take pics when we have sailed underneath the bridge in the past. Think I was too busy looking up at it. :lol!:

We can only thank the Sydney forefathers for their foresight in planting trees such as these & the avenue of Canary Island date palms does make Macquarie Street. It looks so peaceful, when you see them, despite all the busyness going on around you. Bruiser would have been too busy coping with the traffic to have noticed the scenery. The thing was, we had been pushed (forced) into a tunnel by a truck (wrongly) changing lanes & didn't really know where we were when we emerged from it until we saw them & the buildings. Then we knew we were heading in the right direction towards the bridge. :lol:

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:40 am