OUR IMAGES

Pacific Highway - South To Sydney

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Pacific Highway - South To Sydney

Post by Joy on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm

We have a "new friend" as we have been behind this car since we left Kempsey over half an hour ago. :lol3:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 3:15 pm

At least the sun has reappeared.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

A magnificent specimen of a bunya pine. These are fairly plentiful in the North & Far North Coast region of NSW. It is an ancient species & is in the same family as the wonderful Wollemi pine, neither of which are true pinus.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:21 am

A rare sight along the Pacific Highway. An avenue of pinus radiata interspersed with some not-so-rare casuarina trees. This must not be a state forest or national park area or these trees would have been removed as they can spread, & take over, so easily.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:22 am

Another uncommon sight, along the Pacific Highway, deciduous trees.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:26 am

These old narrow bridges, still in use over some rivers, are a real bottleneck on the Pacific Highway. They are gradually being replaced but there is no sign of this happening here, although there may be a bypass being built elsewhere. We can only hope so. :lol3:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:28 am

The Pacific Highway travels through many state forests & national parks. This is most likely one of them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:29 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

One of the many magnificent eucalypts which can be seen along the Pacific Highway.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 3:52 pm

Joy wrote:A rare sight along the Pacific Highway. An avenue of pinus radiata interspersed with some not-so-rare casuarina trees. This must not be a state forest or national park area or these trees would have been removed as they can spread, & take over, so easily.

I loved this series of photos of yours Joy! you know how much I love trees and especially big ones:) this one however is my favourite! :photos: :thanks: :bye:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:11 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :D Unfortunately, this tree is considered an environmental weed in NSW as well as other states. Some states even classify it as a significant environmental weed. :lol3:

It does spread & naturalise readily thus choking out native plant species. Also, it does not provide much in the way of food or shelter to our native birds or animals so it isn't of much benefit there, I'm afraid.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:17 pm

Oh Okay thanks for the info Joy ! I still love them they look nice :). Can you believe we have so much trouble growing nice big shady trees here, and they pull out Alien species here as well. I love them alien or not. The only thing I don't like are the Port Jackson that are rampantly invasive and look ugly one cant even use them for BBQ fire wood as it not supposed to be very healthy. It actually makes me annoyed as they successfully pull out all trees and it seems the Port Jacksons are left to thrive. I am now off my soap box :). Have a great day. The sun is shining now, and I feel a lot better. :photos: :thanks: :sun:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:30 pm

Had to Google that tree, Dawn, I'm ashamed to say. :blush2: I thought all the fig trees, we see in our part of Oz, would be Moreton Bay figs but some of them could also be, its close relative, Port Jackson figs.

Luckily for us both of these fig trees grow as large, handsome, shade trees & look quite spectacular. It is a shame they do not look as good in South Africa.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 5:04 pm

Joy no need to be ashamed at all, I have no knowledge of the different species especially the ones in Oz . This is the one I am referring to:

Port Jackson Willow

This is how difficult it is to get rid of them:

Eradication

I have never really seen one look as beautiful with its yellow flowers like the picture in the Wiki article either, also never seen one look much bigger than in this picture. The wind must shave off the one side and they all lean in one direction looking windswept. It is a Wattle is that the same a a fig ? Your Moreton Bay figs are lovely!! I don't think we are talking about a fig species ?? are we ?

Also what is Alien in one country is not necessary Alien to the trees place of origin as it would have its own natural ways through animals and disease to keep it from say "taking over". They are probably great trees in Australia, and help to keep balance there in the habitat

I found this piece on the net. It will say best what I mean

"The Port Jacksom was brought to the Cape Peninsula by Mr Montague the commissioner for roads as they had a problem with the drifting sand of the Cape Flats covering every road they built including a raised one they built. The problem was that when this weed was imported no one thought about they consequences. A Mr Rob Kluger an entomologist was tasked (in the late 1960's) with finding some host specific insect or
    disease that would only attack this plant. He eventually found a small wasp that stings the seed and destroys it.
    Australia has a similar problem with our arum lily, watsonias,
    agapanthus etc."

But the wasp theory is not working very well either.

Love your pics Joy thanks
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 5:13 pm

Sorry I seemed to have hijacked your lovely picture thread, it was not intentional :( I just have a habit of chatting and turning everything into conversation. It helps the posts a bit if nothing else . :giggle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 5:38 pm

Dawn wrote: Joy no need to be ashamed at all, I have no knowledge of the different species especially the ones in Oz . This is the one I am referring to:

Port Jackson Willow

This is how difficult it is to get rid of them:

Eradication

I have never really seen one look as beautiful with its yellow flowers like the picture in the Wiki article either, also never seen one look much bigger than in this picture. The wind must shave off the one side and they all lean in one direction looking windswept. It is a Wattle is that the same a a fig ? Your Moreton Bay figs are lovely!! I don't think we are talking about a fig species ?? are we ?

Also what is Alien in one country is not necessary Alien to the trees place of origin as it would have its own natural ways through animals and disease to keep it from say "taking over". They are probably great trees in Australia, and help to keep balance there in the habitat

I found this piece on the net. It will say best what I mean

"The Port Jacksom was brought to the Cape Peninsula by Mr Montague the commissioner for roads as they had a problem with the drifting sand of the Cape Flats covering every road they built including a raised one they built. The problem was that when this weed was imported no one thought about they consequences. A Mr Rob Kluger an entomologist was tasked (in the late 1960's) with finding some host specific insect or
    disease that would only attack this plant. He eventually found a small wasp that stings the seed and destroys it.
    Australia has a similar problem with our arum lily, watsonias,
    agapanthus etc."

But the wasp theory is not working very well either.

Love your pics Joy thanks

Thanks, Dawn. Yes, that certainly is a wattle & not a fig tree. They are very different trees. One breed is handsome & the other not so much. :lol: Why it is called a Port Jackson is a bit of a mystery as it is native to Western Australia, not Sydney which is where Port Jackson is. :lol3: Port Jackson is Sydney's harbour. Needless to say it isn't common around here but we do have our very own prolific golden & other types of wattles. The species, in general, can be a very nondescript tree when they aren't in flower. Wattles were also much used here as roadside plantings when new roads were being built, as they grow quickly & hold the soil in place. Other trees seem to be being used now.

I do agree that many plants do not travel well. Many plants were brought here from South Africa by sand miners to revegetate the stripped sand & they have become huge pests, especially the dreaded bitou bush. :o Guess it is a bit of tit-for-tat. :laugh:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 5:41 pm

Dawn wrote: Sorry I seemed to have hijacked your lovely picture thread, it was not intentional :( I just have a habit of chatting and turning everything into conversation. It helps the posts a bit if nothing else . :giggle:

That is not a problem, Dawn. :cool3: A bit of conversation never goes amiss, I feel & we must, most definitely, keep the post count up. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:38 am

This type of shade, sun, shade must make it hard for drivers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:38 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:39 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:40 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:42 am

These signs were all along this particular stretch of divided highway. It must not have a good surface for wet weather to have such a big gap in its speed limits due to rain. Most roads just have a type of "take care when wet" sign if it's deemed necessary. Only saw one more area with such signs, on a part of the highway closer to Sydney, but the speed differential was much less. These are the only areas, with signs like this, on the entire 1000kms (almost) of the Pacific Highway or National Route 1.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:43 am

The only one of these wonderful wildlife corridor bridges on this stretch of the Pacific Highway. It is about 350kms south of the other three, which are on the Far North Coast stretch of the Pacific Highway.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:44 am

Still happily travelling behind this car.

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:35 pm