OUR IMAGES

Platcycerium Elemaria

default Platcycerium Elemaria

Post by Guest on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:10 am

Greetings from North Carolina... I have a question. I have been having a wonderful experience with my Staghorn Ferns and some of you have been so helpful. Heres my latest dilemma. I recently purchased a young Elemaria and she came to me in ok shape. I watered her and hung the basket while I preparred the mount and 5 days later just as I finished the new home for her I went to place her on her new Driftwood home and she was in pieces. The one fertile horn she had was broken off and it looked like either squirels had attacked her or a pretty wild Thunderstorm really knocked her around.

What are my chances of saving her? I brought her in and placed her in the bathroom to give her a stable place to try and heal. Any Suggestions for rehabilitation?

Last edited by casapino on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Platcycerium Elemaria

Post by Joy on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:45 am

Hi casapino. Staghorn ferns are rather resilient & they can get really knocked about in their natural environment. They grow in areas which suffer severe thunderstorms & cyclones (Southern Hemisphere hurricanes) but not squirrels. :lol3:

Maybe if you could post a picture of what it looks like now so we have an idea of what the damage is & someone may be able to give you some advice on how best to save your lovely fern.

Post by Guest on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 8:14 am

Hi Joy, I posted the picture of my Girl...please let me know what I can do to tend to my Elemaria? Thank you, Derek
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 8:47 am

Oh dear, casapino, your poor platcycerium elemaria does look rather sad, doesn't it?? It looks as though it has been chewed by caterpillars, grasshoppers or other such pesky critters.

For the time being I would suggest leaving it in your bathroom, especially if the light is good there, & giving it plenty of TLC, to see what eventuates. Don't overwater it, which can be hard to judge, but some recommend watering a couple of times a week. You will be able to tell if it needs watering by feeling how damp its centre is. It will also benefit from some fertilising with seaweed, fish or similar fertilsers. Have seen banana peel suggested but your plant isn't that big at the moment so just using a fertiliser, with a good potassium ratio, might be the way to go. They normally get their nutrients from the run off from their hosts as well as the self-composting of their dead leaves.

I do hope your lovely little plant will recover from this setback & start to grow some new green shoots very soon. The humidity in your bathroom will also be a big help to it.

Post by Guest on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 8:59 am

You know what's crazy is that I have a Platycerium Bifercatum right underneath it and it is done remarkably well so I've ruled out a pesky critter the squirrels don't mess with my other ferns so I'm thinking it must've been the storm knocking around hopefully she'll be able to heal in a more controlled environment
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 9:32 am

Think you are right, casapino. Some R&R in such an environment could be just what the doctor ordered. Do hope this plant's natural resilience will get it through this & that it will recover beautifully. The humidity of the bathroom is an important benefit.

Good luck!! Let us know how she gets on.

Post by Guest on Wed 22 Aug 2012, 2:46 am

Hi Joy, just wanted to let you know that even if ever so small I am seeing new growth from the center of the plant...HURRAY
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:50 am

That is wonderful to hear, casapino!!! Your TLC is paying off!! Fantastic. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Keep us up-to-date with further developments, too. :D :cool3:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 4:17 am