OUR IMAGES

Lucky Bamboo ~ Dracaena Sanderiana

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Dracaena Sanderiana

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 4:05 pm

The dracaena sanderiana or "Lucky Bamboo" is another of our wonderful dracaenas. We have five different ones. This dracaena is one of our indoor plants which it seems to like to be. It is also an air-cleaning plant so we are very happy to have it indoors, too.

The one we have comprises six "canes" of sizes ranging from 5cms (2ins) to 15cms (6ins).The shoots that grew from these "canes" , now, also range in height from 30 cms (12ins) to 105 cms (42ins). They were originally two separate tiny pots of three "canes", supposedly in stones & water. When I removed them, to place them in a larger container together in their clumps, they were, thankfully, actually growing in some soil. They have grown so well since being placed into potting soil. Like most dracaenas, it does not like treated tap water. Collected rainwater (which I use) or distilled water are recommended. Mine gets fertilised with liquid plant fertiliser, at 1/2 strength every four weeks. It seems happy with this arrangement. :D Have read that some use dirty aquarium water or aquarium plant fertiliser. Why, some even grow the poor things in aquariums as decoration.

This would have to be one of the most mistreated houseplants on the planet. First off, it is NOT a bamboo but a dracaena.There are people who think it is a bamboo & treat it as such. Wrong. :x It is an understorey plant from the rainforests of Cameroon in West Africa & prefers to grow in potting mix, rather than just water. It also prefers indirect light. Have read where some say it loves full sun!!! Find this hard to believe as understorey plants don't, as a rule, get full sun &, generally, scorch when in the sun. Ours gets plenty of indirect light from wide floor-to-ceiling windows. Its colouring is the dark green it is supposed to be & looks beautiful. May have to start staking it soon, as a couple of its taller shoots are getting ready to flop over!!.

Early days. Two years ago.

Last edited by Joybells on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

default Re: Lucky Bamboo ~ Dracaena Sanderiana

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 4:38 pm

Gosh! yes I was always given the impression that it was a bamboo of some sort. I was told to put it in a little bit of water. It never died but it never grew either, just stayed the same for the whole two years I had it, no wonder. When we moved I left it behind. Thanks for that info.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 4:45 pm

There are more pics to come, Dawn. Our plants were just babies when that was taken. :D

Yes, far too many people are led to believe that it is a bamboo. This is due, I feel, to the fact that it was decided it was a feng shui plant & named "Lucky Bamboo". :roll:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 4:49 pm

great look I forward to them!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 9:33 pm

Now it is really starting grow. This was taken nearly five months later. The second pic was a month later than the first.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 9:37 pm

The first pic was taken in June of last year, a couple of months after the previous pic. The second was a year later. It certainly has grown a great deal.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 9:42 pm

It is a spindly plant but remember the cuttings these shoots are growing from are only very small. The second pic was taken three months later. The taller shoots are starting to flop over.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 9:56 pm

The other day I had a huge surprise. I had moved it back to its previous spot as the spathiphyllum would be able to offer the dracaena some support for its floppy shoots. Some of its "canes" had tilted a bit & I was straightening them when I noticed a plant, actually growing beside one of the "canes". It had grown from the roots of one of the "canes". These are pieces of the trunks that have been cut into small sections, some wax applied to the top end to stop rot, stuck, usually, into water, & shoots then grow (& grow & grow & grow) from near the tops. Never imagined that an offshoot would grow from these.

The new plant is the one in the middle. This pic shows the "canes" & their differing lengths, quite clearly.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:14 pm

Decided to bite the bullet with our dracaena sanderiana & do some pruning as its stems were so spindly. The tall ones were flopping around & had top be propped up, both by positioning & the spathiphyllum. :lol2: As I knew there was at least one stem (see above) had grown from the roots & was sturdier, I felt there would be something left after the floppy ones were cut off.

When I started pruning them, I found that two thicker stems had sprouted from the original stems &, also, there were, now, a total of four new stems growing from the roots. This is wonderful as it means the original cut stems pieces from which the spindly stems had sprouted are now being joined by brand new, thicker-stemmed, plants.

Here it is after the pruning.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:23 pm

The pruned pieces have not gone to waste as I have placed them into a vase, with rainwater, to see if they grow roots. If they do I shall plant them all together into a pot.

Before I did this, I cut the tallest stem, which was 100cm (40ins) tall into two pieces, minus another piece which I threw away, as they were too long. Also trimmed the others so they would not be too tall as they will, hopefully, continue to grow. Removed the lower leaves as they might just rot in the water. Dipped all the ends in rooting hormone powder & placed them in the vase.

Here they are in the vase. Have it sitting out of the way but still where it gets some light. Must remember to keep topping up the water. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 3:14 pm

The cuttings pruned off the dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" are still looking just fine. I am soooooo happy with how this has all turned out. If the cuttings strike, then that will be a bonus. :excited: :apgch:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 23 Apr 2011, 2:11 pm

The dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings are still alive but have not started sending out roots yet. Guess it is early days. The rooting hormone powder, used on each cutting, has settled as a cloudy layer, in the water, at the bottom of the vase the cuttings are standing in. Hope it will do its stuff & encourage them to sprout roots. :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 May 2011, 9:46 pm

Well, all of the cuttings have, now, sent out very sturdy roots!!! :bravo: Have started a topic about this in Seeds & Cuttings In Pots. :D
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 9:02 pm

The dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings were potted mid May. It was rather tricky as they had to be all put into the pot at the same time. It was like trying to hold several squirming puppies at once, especially when I also had to hold the stems with one hand & put in the potting mix with the other. Oh, well, it was done, eventually. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 9:15 pm

Here are the dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings two weeks later. They seem to be settled in nicely & are growing very well. Guess this experiment was successful. Well, so far, anyway.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 9:20 pm

For some reason the dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" Stick has been sitting in the water waiting to be potted, for more than two months after the others were potted.

Today it was, finally, potted. It has some very slow growing new shoots. Hopefully it will eventually become less of a stick & more of a plant. :lol:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 7:58 am