OUR IMAGES

Stag Horn Fern HELP!!!

default Stag Horn Fern HELP!!!

Post by Guest on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

Hello all I am new to the group and new to my infatuation with the Stag Horn Fern. I love to work with Driftwood and so Ive been mounting my new ferns on Driftwood. OK, heres my problem, which is the top and bottom of the fern? I know this sounds novice but...I am. Do Stag Horns always grow like antlers would on the top of a Stag? Or can the grow seemingly upside down? Some of my fern's have the non sterile frond or the "cap" and some do not. As soon as I can I will post a few pictures of them but until then I avail myself to all of your expertise. Thank you, Derek
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Stag Horn Fern HELP!!!

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

Hello Derek & welcome to APG.

While I don't grow staghorn ferns myself, they are native to our area of Australia & I have seen them growing on trees in the wild. Dawn has some & may be able to offer you some assistance. To answer your question re which is the top & bottom, well, actually they do tend to grow rather like the antlers on a deer with its fronds growing upwards &, to confuse the issue, like some species of deer some of its fronds will, at times, grow downwards as well.

They are reasonably tough & seem to be fairly easy to grow, as they do well in the subtropics, where we live, without help. :lol3: Here are some links to information about these attractive & unusual ferns. The first link is general info about them & explains much about these ferns. The second has some good growing & general care tips.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Do hope I have been of some help to you, (not much, I know). I look forward to seeing pics of your staghorn fern & seeing you around our forum. :D

default Thank's

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 11:33 am

Thank you for the quick response.Ive never been a part of a "Gardening Forum". I feel so enviormentaly aware I'm trying to figure out how to post photos my Ferns on the site and then maybe I can get some guidance as to which way is up...so to speak. Thanks again!

ok here are my 3 latest Staghorns...any advice would be graciously received.

Pictures 1 & 2 are my questionables. I feel that Fern #3 or my first is doing well and growing correctly. Thanks for your time and advice, Derek

Last edited by casapino on Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

You will find we are a rather relaxed & friendly forum, Derek & I have tried to make everything as user-friendly as I can. Having been a member of other gardening forums I know just how difficult some of them can be when it comes to finding your way around to do stuff such as posting pics & just how nerve-wracking it can be, working it all out, for a first time member.

There are instructions on how to post your pics up in the first category, Reception, in the How-To-Manual in the "Posting Still Images" topic. If you have any problems with this just let us know & we shall try to assist anyway we can. :D
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Wed 20 Jun 2012, 4:27 am

Hi Derek Welcome to APG, If you are having trouble posting photos after reading Joy's how to just post here and we will see if we can give some guidance, cheers :)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

Hello Casapino, your ferns are looking good, actually really good :) . I don't see anything wrong with the position of their leaves. I am not an expert on them either. But all the ones I see here, where I live, they eventually grow leaves all around the stand as they grow up. So I don't think it matters where the leaf (antler) growth starts whether it is up or down. Mine are in a hanging basket now. so the leaves are upright. The only thing that might make a difference is the stand at the base of the plant makes a "whirly" cup .... not sure but maybe this is designed by the plant to catch moisture and funnel it to the root? If yours are watered by rain or yourself regularly I would not worry about the position... but as I say I am not 100 percent sure to be honest. Good luck with them... yours are really lovely ferns :)

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 10:52 pm

Hi Dawn thank you very much for your input and advice. Im loving the Ferns and really enjoying the collection, design and look of the Fern's on the Driftwood. I have a few questions that you and the others might be able to share some insight with me. Feeding the Ferns...Is the Banana Peel for real ? If not what do you suggest? Come the middle of our Fall in October I will bring them in for the winter, how often should I water them? and where is the best location to hang them indoors? Thanks again, Derek
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 12:31 am

Hello Derek, I feed mine a weak solution of liquid nitrogen fertiliser brand name = "nitrosol". I am not sure what it would be called where you live unfortunately?. It is similar in make up the seagro mixture which is derived from seaweed I think. I use this same fertiliser to feed my orchids. I mix a weaker solution than recommended, 5ml to three litres of water. I also wet the leaves when fertilising. Mine are growing in a wire basket that is filled with barks chips. They are loving it, lots of drainage and regular watering in the summer months and mine go ahead really well. I had to remove mine from its mounting as ants kept making a nest in there. In winter I only water it when I think it needs it, one can generally tell by the leaves when they are water deprived, they will start to curl. Then I give them water immediately. They are not fussy plants. Mine have anchored to the grass in the basket really well. I never fuss over them but I keep an eye on them. I have no experience with your winters so I cannot really give you any solid pointers on the watering in your winter sorry, maybe someone else on here from your area may know? I can only tell you what I do with mine. I do know they do not like sun on them at all, and I don't think they really like to be left out in extreme cold. So yes I guess that would be the best thing to do, by bringing it indoors in the winter. The banana food :dance017: well my sister says it feeds them as banana's are full of potassium aren't they, but I don't do that, as when the banana rots and goes brown it brings the ants and the flies, so I just stick to the liquid nitrosol. Even if it runs right through the basket it still leaves enough behind to feed the plant. Sorry this is probably not much help, as I say I am not an expert on these plants I just love them like you do. Enjoy them they are great plants. i look forward to seeing them grow through your pics . :bye:

Post by Guest on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 1:57 am

Dawn, great advice...thanks so much. Cheers
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 7:49 am

Thank you very much for your great advice re caring for staghorn ferns , Dawn. There is nothing like firsthand experience. :cool3:

Your staghorns do look great on the driftwood, Derek & will grow to be very handsome specimens indeed. Some can get quite large. :D

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 2:41 pm

Greetings all... I wanted to share a few photos of the latest members of the "family". Im trying to be more bold with my driftwood designs and more accomidating to the Fern. Hope you enjoy these, Derek and as always any input you have to offer is always welcomed.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 3:28 pm

Hi there, Derek. :hello2: Your staghorn ferns look really cool mounted like that & should do very well. They can become quite large when established & look magnificent. How many do you have now?? I do feel you will become quite the expert in growing these wonderful plants. :bravo:

Love the lichen on the the tree(s). What type of trees are they??

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:13 pm

Hi Joy so you notice my trees. I am fortunate enough to live in the great Tar Heel state of North Carolina. We have more indigenous trees here than any other state in the union. Meaning we have more varieties of trees in one state and all of America. These three big guys, Moe Larry and Curly as I affectionately call them I live oaks also referred to as Pin Oaks. They produce a sliver likely thus the name. The small leaf that sheds in the fall is more work to clean up after that I care to admit but I do love having some of the only mature trees in my neighborhood. Well I'm off to my local Lakeshore to go find more driftwood I'm working on a few projects. I'm making outdoor planters for some succulents that I plan to plant next year I'm making them out of old decking planks that I find in the water. And I'm finding unique pieces of driftwood to mount some Tillandsia on and give them away as gifts to friends for Christmas. Early I know but if I don't get it done now it may not get done. I found a wonderful piece of driftwood last week that looks just like a dragon and when you mailed some to Lindsay on it it really brings it to life. As soon as I finish it I'll post your photo have a wonderful day cheers Derek

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:15 pm

Sorry... My voice to text doesn't understand me all the time. I hope you can make out what I said. Have a wonderful day
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:58 am

casapino wrote:Sorry... My voice to text doesn't understand me all the time. I hope you can make out what I said. Have a wonderful day

:lol2: Yes, we can make out what you are saying, Derek. :lol3: Imagine what the voice to text would make of an Australian accent. :rofl:
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:03 am

I've tried it Joy not very successful to say the least :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:10 am

casapino wrote:Hi Joy so you notice my trees. I am fortunate enough to live in the great Tar Heel state of North Carolina. We have more indigenous trees here than any other state in the union. Meaning we have more varieties of trees in one state and all of America. These three big guys, Moe Larry and Curly as I affectionately call them I live oaks also referred to as Pin Oaks. They produce a sliver likely thus the name. The small leaf that sheds in the fall is more work to clean up after that I care to admit but I do love having some of the only mature trees in my neighborhood. Well I'm off to my local Lakeshore to go find more driftwood I'm working on a few projects. I'm making outdoor planters for some succulents that I plan to plant next year I'm making them out of old decking planks that I find in the water. And I'm finding unique pieces of driftwood to mount some Tillandsia on and give them away as gifts to friends for Christmas. Early I know but if I don't get it done now it may not get done. I found a wonderful piece of driftwood last week that looks just like a dragon and when you mailed some to Lindsay on it it really brings it to life. As soon as I finish it I'll post your photo have a wonderful day cheers Derek

You are indeed fortunate to live where there are so many different types of trees, Derek. Guess we are lucky, too, as the small village, where we live, is surrounded, on the land side, by two National Parks. Over the back of our place is a magnificent tall ghost gum tree which is one of many around here. It is quite a landmark.

Had to Google pin oaks & apparently they have settled, quite happily, in parts of the southern areas of Australia but we don't seem to have them up here where we live. They are very handsome trees, indeed.

Your plans for driftwood uses are terrific & I do hope you can find some more great shaped pieces. Some of the tillandsias look wonderful mounted on driftwood as do many other epiphytes such as some orchids & bromeliads. All the best for your driftwood searches. Looking forward to seeing the pics, too.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:21 am

bruiser wrote:I've tried it Joy not very successful to say the least :donald:

Ahem, can easily understand that, Bruiser. :whistle:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 7:41 pm