OUR IMAGES

Dracaena Surculosa Punctulata "Sierra Leone"

default Re: Dracaena Surculosa Punctulata "Sierra Leone"

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:20 pm

Joy I was searching for the culture requirements of Dracaena surculosa sierra-leone and was sent to your link .WOW your plant is like jack and the beanstank . I have a very young plant and was checking up on whether it likes sun [no] or filtered shade [yes].
    Your plant is spectacular Joy.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:56 pm

:donald: What an amazing coincidence, Pixie. :lol2: Thank you, yes, our dracaena surculosa punctulate "Sierra Leone" is a wonderful plant. We have had it for 21 years now & it would have been at least two or three years old when we bought it. It has tolerated a fair amount of neglect but is now one of our most beloved plants. :love:

Your plant could do well in amongst your rainforest, as that is its natural habitat. As a potted plant it will give you much pleasure whether in a shady spot on a patio or, with indirect light, indoors. It loves to be pruned &, it seems, to be potbound. :lol!:

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 5:29 pm

Joy here is a 6 months old plant to compare with yours .

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

Gosh, it is tiny, isn't it, Pixie. :O But it looks really healthy & it will grow & grow & grow........ :whistle: Then it will start sending up shoots & sprouting branches, next thing you know it will be six foot + tall. :lol!: Think they seem to be slow starters though. The cuttings I am experimenting with aren't doing much, at the moment, apart from just sitting in the pot. :lol2:

I have some dracaena surculosa punctulata "Sierra Leone" seed berries, which I really should get around to planting as another interesting experiment. :think2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

Oh dear, keep forgetting to plant the dracaena surculosa punctualta "Sierra Leone" seed berries. Really must do that soon. :blush2:

This wonderful plant flowered a couple of weeks ago, but, it was too cold to go out on to the back patio, at night, to take some pics. Wish it was a day flowerer. :whistle: It is good to see it is flowering more regularly now. :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

The dracaena surculosa punctulata "Sierra Leone" has started flowering again. This is now happening so frequently & is wonderful to see. It has so many buds on it this time. This is the first one, of the current lot of buds, to open that I have noticed & it was still looking good in the morning. The plant is looking huge. Will have to do a bit of pruning very soon.

Still haven't planted the seeds but the cuttings are now flourishing with many new leaves.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:21 am

The dracaena surculosa punctulata "Sierra Leone" has been busily flowering. This accidentally snapped off bud suddenly burst into flower just after I had put it into water. :lol3:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 10:42 am

A beautiful ephemeral flower on our wonderful dracaena surculosa punctulata "Sierra Leone". Luckily, this one was still looking good in the morning as I had not gone looking for it during the night when they usually open. Too cool. There were two flowers this time.

It does seem as though this plant will flower at any time of the year. The previous flowering was 6 months ago.

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:35 pm