OUR IMAGES

2012 Pickings to Date

Glad E Olah

default 2012 Pickings to Date

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 05 May 2012, 1:52 am

Radishes (sorry this may have been posted in the other thread but want to keep all the pickings in a separate thread)

Lettuce to the left and to the right upper is beet greens, bottom is spinach and mustard greens.

Daughter got the lettuce and we ate the greens last night mixed together and cooked. The grands were here for supper.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: 2012 Pickings to Date

Post by Joy on Sat 05 May 2012, 9:45 am

That is a decent harvest of greens, Glad, particularly so early in the season. It would take quite a bit of them to fill those bowls. Bet they tasted as good as they look. Good looking radishes, too. :D

Thanks for posting these pics & am looking forward to seeing this thread grow & grow & grow......... :lol3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 05 May 2012, 11:25 am

I noticed signs of stress on the greens today. It is getting to hot. Our spring has been really warmer. When I was putting miracle grow on the plants tonight I noticed the blackberries are already turning red and that normally does not happen until June. Tomatoes are coming on too which will be earlier also. Due to the issue of sun damage I cannot get in my garden until at least 4 pm (better at 5 pm but some areas have shade at 4 pm) and usually work until 7:30 or 8 pm each time. Lots of work!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 May 2012, 3:08 pm

That certainly is lots of work, Glad, but at least you can fairly quickly see, & enjoy, the results of your hard work, can't you. :D Yes, late morning & early afternoon sun is the worst time for causing sun damage to skin & it is best to avoid being out in it for any length of time. Particularly if prone to skin cancers.

Sounds like early blackberry pies & tomato salads. :lol3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 06 May 2012, 11:07 pm

:thankyou: Joy
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:14 pm

A few beans, potatoes, squash and dill weed. I have about a quart of dill seed saved so far.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

They are all looking good, Glad. :D Very scrumptious indeed. What type of potato are they?? You must be getting much satisfaction from your garden.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:06 am

Those are the potatoes that were sprouting in the house back in March so I planted the sprouts. I did purchase a few Yukon Gold seed potatoes but they are not finished blooming yet. Sorry I can't tell you the variety in the picture but I think they are a kind that make good fries. When the potatoes are freshly dug I really like to make sure the skins are washed good then grate them skin and all then fry in a bit of oil. Wow they are good that way!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:00 am

What a good idea, Glad, planting the sprouting spuds. Frying the grated potatoes sounds very tasty, rather like the Swiss dish, rosti, which I love.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

Describe the Rosti dish please.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

It is simply grated raw &/or cold cooked potato, shaped into a thinnish patty & panfried, using oil or butter. I love it. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

Oh I see! Potato cakes!

We use left over mashed potatoes, add chopped onion, egg and just a tad of flour to hold it together. Fry in small amount of oil until golden brown on both sides. Yes, they are delicious. For a different idea you can also use left over cream style corn either mixed with the onion or by itself.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:16 pm

Yes, I like those mashed potato patties too, Glad. Rostis are made just from grated raw potato or, sometimes, grated cooked potatoes, with only some salt & pepper added, before frying in butter or oil. Very simple, actually, but are a famous Swiss recipe. :lol:

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:47 pm