OUR IMAGES

TRIP TO NORFOLK

default TRIP TO NORFOLK

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 6:14 am

Trip to Norfolk.
    Three pics from our trip to Norfolk for the christening of the latest great grand son, last weekend.

The gates outside the Queens house at Sandringham.

The flat landscape of the fenland. Taken by the wife on her camera as we travelled, but the date is wrong

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: TRIP TO NORFOLK

Post by Joy on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 8:03 am

The gates at Sandringham are real works of art & are so elegant. They would be among the best I have ever seen. Thank you so much, BigBilly, for taking the time during your trip to get these pics. It is much appreciated as we shall never see them for ourselves.

Gosh, that fenland is so flat. Do you know what the crop is?? Congratulations to your wife, BB, for being able to get the shot with the horizon so level. That is not easy to get when taken from a travelling car.

Thanks again for these great pics. Love them.

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 6:21 pm

The near crop i think may be beans for animal feed Joy but in the very distant the yellow is oil seed rape.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 9:04 am

Thanks, BibBilly. Maybe soybeans, perhaps, as well as what is called canola here. The near crop looks very much like the soybeans commonly grown around our area to rejuvenate the soil for the sugarcane. The sugarcane farmers seem to continue the ways of farming used in feudal times which we learnt about in school. They cycle between the two crops with an occasional fallow period. No livestock though.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

Lovely photographs BB I agree with Joy those gates are gorgeous, a real work of art. The landscape is lovely too, so beautifully green :)

Post by Guest on Wed 02 May 2012, 4:47 pm

What a wonderful ornate gate! Love seeing that along with the car trip pic. I always love seeing pics from other places.

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:55 pm

Went up to Norfolk again recently, so here's a few pics.
    Poppies in a corn field.

Pictures of a bygone era, what used to be the royal station for Sandringham Wolferton.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

My goodness, BigBilly, those poppies look absolutely stunning in that cornfield. So beautiful.

The Royal Station is wonderfully preserved. The decorative lawns & box(?) hedging, where the line was taken up, do look good, too. Thank you for posting these great images. Think the railway architects drew from much the same plans, as railway stations here, of a similar vintage, look very much like this one, although not quite as elaborate as a "Royal" one naturally. :lol3:

The fares & car park fees would be an eye-opener for today's commuters. They can only dream of such prices but, of course, wages were also much lower back then, weren't they??

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:44 pm

Yes Joy wages were very much lower then. I can remember getting less than £5 pound a week when we had three kids,
    one of the reasons why I took up poaching to help keep the family from going hungry.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:52 am

£5 a week certainly wasn't much for a married man with children, even "back then", BigBilly. My very first wages were £4 a week or £3 16s after social security tax (this was in NZ where they had social security even then) & I had problems going from week to week even though I still lived at home & definitely had no children to support. Paid board to my mum though.

In NZ (& probably Australia as well) you would have been more than welcome to go rabbit shooting or trapping. It would not have been considered poaching as they were, & still are, noxious pests. Same with deer.

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:35 pm