OUR IMAGES

My garden

default Re: My garden

Post by Guest on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:10 am

First, thank you all! I'm truly an amateur in the garden, but I do love it.

I woke up to find the strangest thing this morning. I went out to check the garden and am getting ready to water. I think my rose bushes have cross-pollinated! Let me know what you think.

This is my Double-Delight rose:

This is my David Austin Falstaff rose (it's not in full bloom yet:

And I found THIS on my Double-Delight bush this morning:

Could they really have cross-pollinated you think?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:29 am

What beautiful roses, Mary. :love: The Double-Delight is stunning, as is, of course, the David Austin Falstaff. What a rich red it is. It would be exciting if the red flower on the Double-Delight was a result of cross-pollination, although I feel it is more likely to be caused by atavism. That is a throwback to original type. I do think any cross-pollination would show in stock grown from cross-pollinated seeds & not on the plant which was cross-pollinated. A bit like cross-breeding a labrador with a poodle to get labradoodles, for example. It is their offspring which show the results of the cross-breeding.

The breeders of the Double-Delight could have used two, three or even more roses to create this beautiful rose & the lovely red may have been one of them. What is interesting is that it has the same unusual swirling shape as the Double-Delight. It may have been this rose which also contributed the shape as well as the red petal edgings. It will also be very interesting to see what the other buds in that cluster are like. If they are the same, I would try to grow the stem as a cutting, after the flowers die off, if only to see what colour the flowers, on the new plant, are like. From what I have read, it is notoriously difficult to grow roses from seed (but would love to hear otherwise) & cuttings are easier, growing more true to type.

Many thanks for posting this & showing us these very beautiful roses. Don't blame you for being excited, (I know I would be), to see this lovely, different coloured rose. :smile:

Post by Guest on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:41 am

You're welcome, Joy! I thought is was very interesting. The red rose doesn't have any smell to it like the double delights do. I had another friend tell me the same as you and that I should cut it off at the bottom where the nob is as otherwise it would take over and become the dominant rose. How do I grow it from a cutting? Do I cut it off as suggested and then put it in water or soil? You can tell, I know almost nothing about roses. LOL! Bur for some reason, they like me.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:21 am

That is really good advice from your friend, Mary. Around about now would be a good time to do this as well. Here is a link to the Santa Clarita Valley Rose Society's web site. This link takes you to their page on how-to for rose cuttings. Rose Cuttings

As they are in California (don't know if it is NoCal or SoCal though :lol3: ) their tips & advice may be of particular assistance to you. I have found their rose advice to be easily followed & down to earth. It was a real lifesaver for me as regards pruning my miniature roses.

This could be a very interesting experiment, too. Good luck with it. :luck:

Post by Guest on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:15 pm

:thanks: Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

That's :cool3: , Mary. :cool4:

Post by Guest on Tue 17 Jul 2012, 6:20 pm

Great pics Mary. shows just what can be done with a small space. Well done.

Looks like they are peony leaves to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:43 am