OUR IMAGES

Pics from Simon's town

Dawn

default Pics from Simon's town

Post by Dawn on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:15 pm

Weekend before last we went to Simon's Town as the Naval festival was on. When we arrived the little Town was so packed we could hardly drive past all the pedestrians en route to the festival. Plus we could not find parking relatively near so we just threw in the towel and took a long drive home. These are the photos from that weekend.

Dawn

default Re: Pics from Simon's town

Post by Dawn on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:24 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:25 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:25 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:26 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:31 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:35 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:36 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 01 Apr 2012, 10:39 am

What a pretty spot, Dawn. :cool3: Can't say as I blame you both for not wanting to go on a big hike to see the festival, especially if the naval vessels were open to the public as that would have also required a fair bit of walking, up & down ladders/stairs & along corridors, within the ships. :lol3: Your poor legs would have been screaming. :aargh: The festival must have been very popular.

Many thanks for the pics you were able to get, Dawn. They are great. :thanks: :photos: :cool: Simon's Town does look like "mountain goat" territory with all the houses on the mountain slopes. The inhabitants would not only be very fit but have really fantastic views. :wow: They also look as though they enjoy sailing, too. :cool4:

:yacht:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:00 am

Thanks for your comment Joy! the town is quaint, some spots in and around CT, I think I have mentioned this before have an old world feel about them, despite modernisation and Simon's town is one of these places. maybe it's the buildings that give one this impression?? When I put these up yesterday I said to John we should go back today and see if there is anything still open? But the festival was long gone, but we were still able to go through a 'Daphne' which was one of the French Submarines, that the navy here had used a while ago , it is now redundant as it is outdated. The submarine is still in working order but no longer used ( the tour guide said it is the only one that is left in such pristine condition today! It is still fitted with everything except of course the batteries, so it was very nice to see inside as it would have been, when working. I half expected to hear the 'blip, blip' all the time :lol3: It was a bit hairy for me to climb down the ladder through the hole on the top :blush: I nearly backed down, but managed it in the end :blush2: eyes shut :lol3: It is things like these that makes me realise I am not as young as my brain tells me I think I am. but I survived :)

Re: the houses on the hill, that whole coastline(False bay) have the houses on the hill. Yes I agree they must have great views of the ocean. The road we drove up to get to the vantage point where I took some of these photos is very steep, but we passed a few people walking it :lol2: brave souls they have my deepest respect :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:59 am

That does sound like fun, Dawn, & very interesting. For me it would have been the getting back out of the submarine, trying to haul myself back up the ladder. :lol: Bet you are pleased you went back. There would have been a different feel to the place with the crowds gone.

According to Wiki, Simon's Town is pretty old, over two centuries, so it is no wonder it has that feel to it. Hopefully, there are still some of the original buildings left.

I am quite thankful my brain thinks I am younger than I really am, until I look in the mirror. :omg: :aargh: :lol:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:27 pm

It was interesting to a point, of course all the men loved all the technical chatter, I enjoyed seeing inside it Joy! but was lost when in came to all the in's and outs of the workings of it. I thought some of you maybe interested in seeing some pics?

Got to gates and were refused admittance but they sent us to Jubilee square to buy a ticket there and then we all got on a bus and were taken to Coles Point where the sub is.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

Walking to Jubilee square which wasn't that far away.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

a few vendors with their bead inventions along the yacht basin, where there are numerous waterfront restaurants, the only one I can remember is "Bertha's"

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:32 pm

We met up with this procession, it happened to be "Just Nuisance" birthday yesterday. There were lines of people walking along the front of Berthas with all their Doggies. If you look at the link you will see who Just Nuisance was.

Just Nuisance
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

a view from outside the Submarine

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:35 pm

Another view showing the sub and two other boats

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

The front I think ?

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:37 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:38 pm

The other side

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:46 pm

Inside the end showed in the previous picture. This is where the lower ranked seaman slept , it also doubled as the torpedo room :D . There were a crew of 60 seaman altogether including the higher ranking ones originally working on this ship. There were 12 Torpedo's, 8 here at the back and 4 in the front.You can see the torpedo's just at the back

Last edited by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

a better view of them

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:52 pm

The Kitchen

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:53 pm