OUR IMAGES

Glad's 2012 Garden

Glad E Olah

default Re: Glad's 2012 Garden

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 29 May 2012, 1:57 pm

Just put the broccoli in plastic bags in frig. Will give the grands some tomorrow they love it.

My mother is still living also at age 92.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 29 May 2012, 2:22 pm

It is wonderful that your grandkids love broccoli, Glad. Most unusual these days. There are plenty of children who do not even know what vegetables are let alone eat them.

Good to hear your mother is also doing well at her age. We are among the lucky ones.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 29 May 2012, 2:26 pm

Yep we are very lucky. I talk to her a couple of times a week as she lives about 1300 miles from me in Florida.

I found your thread about the herbs most interesting. I will buy some seeds for next year's garden for sure.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 29 May 2012, 2:53 pm

Have found a companion plant plant for your squash, Glad & have added it to the Companion Plant list. This list was always meant to be added to. :lol3: Herbs are very handy to grow, as they go well with vegetables & also will do well in containers plus do not take up much room. Also go great with cooking. Mmmmmmmm, tomatoes & basil or oregano or marjoram............ :D They might do well in the holes in the cement brick edgings.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 30 May 2012, 12:14 am

Joy wrote:Have found a companion plant plant for your squash, Glad & have added it to the Companion Plant list. This list was always meant to be added to. :lol3: Herbs are very handy to grow, as they go well with vegetables & also will do well in containers plus do not take up much room. Also go great with cooking. Mmmmmmmm, tomatoes & basil or oregano or marjoram............ :D They might do well in the holes in the cement brick edgings.

Hey good idea Joy. I have been thinking of what to plant in those holes.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 7:55 am

Aromatic herbs such as the various thymes, which send out a lovely smell when brushed while walking past, are especially good for edgings. Lemon thyme, in particular, makes roast whole chicken taste magnificent when stuffed into the cavity prior to cooking.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 11:35 am

I have heard from the two places to get mulch. None available currently but I am on the waiting list. May have some delivered from a nursery company if I can find one. When I do get some the holes will be filled with mulch for the winter then ready for spring planting next year. I am already getting excited!

We had much needed rain today....not a lot but enough to water the garden. It sure made pulling carrots easier this evening.

I pickled beets yesterday (sorry if I have already mentioned that but I am getting forgetful....guess because I am so busy).

The temp is dropping some and windows are open. Will be wonderful to sleep with the windows open tonight. May get down in the 50's which will be great for the brussel sprouts!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

Good idea to use the mulch for filling in the holes, Glad. That would be easy to do while you are spreading it on the garden. Yum, fresh carrots. Don't worry, you haven't been repeating yourself. You did mention that you were going to pickle some beets not that you had done so. :lol:

Very pleased for you that your weather is being kind to you. It would be lovely to sleep with the windows open during the warmer weather. Actually, we are experiencing 50s, at the moment, for our minimums but today is our first day of winter. :lol3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

LOL

I am ready for sleep now. Was waiting for May 31 to be over and it is for me now.

Another anniversary without hubby and they seem to be getting easier. I will be 66 soon. Wonder how many years I have left on this earth? Know one thing for sure....I want to plant gardens for a long long time yet. I feel better this year than in recent years. Knocking pounds off and satisfaction from the garden is the reason!

Nite nite APG!
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 8:14 am

The bush and poll beans close up:

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 8:16 am

You are gunna have a few beans there Glad wow :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 8:36 am

Yep! Bruiser sure am!

Look at the okra!

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:13 am

Glad E Olah wrote:LOL

I am ready for sleep now. Was waiting for May 31 to be over and it is for me now.

Another anniversary without hubby and they seem to be getting easier. I will be 66 soon. Wonder how many years I have left on this earth? Know one thing for sure....I want to plant gardens for a long long time yet. I feel better this year than in recent years. Knocking pounds off and satisfaction from the garden is the reason!

Nite nite APG!

So happy for you that each anniversary is a little easier, Glad. Of course, this day will probably never get totally easy but will, with time, become a day when happy memories will outnumber the sad ones.

You & BigBilly are a wonderful advertisement for the fantastic benefits of gardening. :bravo: Plus the eating of such lovely fresh produce. :D Wonder if this is true of container gardening as well??? :lol3:

Don't forget your gene pool, with your mother being 92, so I would imagine you will have many, many more active years ahead. :)

Boy, those beans are looking absolutely lush & the okra is growing so well. You will have plenty of healthy stuff to eat soon. :good:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:41 am

Thanks Joy.

I hope to live as long as my mother's age but I inherited diabetes from dad. I have already out lived his age by two years.

My doctor tells me that gardening is one of the best exercises one can do. I am already anxious to get that mulch started but I must wait for it to age some.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:48 am

Joy wrote:You & BigBilly are a wonderful advertisement for the fantastic benefits of gardening. :bravo: Plus the eating of such lovely fresh produce. :D Wonder if this is true of container gardening as well??? :lol3:

Do you grow veggies in containers? If so direct me to the thread if not perhaps we can discuss a veggie garden in containers.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 11:12 am

Dawn & BigBilly grow some vegetables & herbs in containers, Glad. There is a forum for it in the Potted Garden category. Here is the link to it:- Container Veggies & Herbs

Even my daughter (Nelbel) used to grow tomatoes in pots & I used to grow my herbs in containers. Nowadays I just grow decorative plants. :lol3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:18 pm

Pretty tired this evening. This morning was shopping for a new pressure canner. We will have a bumper crop of beans this year so I want to do something other than pickling them.

Also purchased corn seeds....according to the package we need 65 days for this variety (others were longer) so we got them in the ground this afternoon. Thinking of planting a hill of pumpkin in one of the sections (already watermelon was planted in the other section.) Oh yes, the two sections for the corn were the sections the potatoes were in. Will try to get a picture of the potatoes tomorrow. I thought they did very well for four rows of potatoes planted. Son did plant a couple short rows in another section that are not ready to dig yet. As items are done I plan to put fall crops in sometime in August.

The Japanese beetles have started so I powdered the beans today also. The squash beetles are out also so the cucumbers and squash got powdered as well.

Since we powdered we had to let the watering go for tonight except for the corn seeds that were planted.

The first of the tomatoes should be ready long before our 4th of July. It has always been a tradition in our area to see who gets the first ripe tomato and how soon before the 4th. We have had a few green peppers which is a nice treat.

The cucumbers are loaded with blooms and so are the lemon cucumbers. Anxious about these.

I am disappointed in the cauliflower. Guess I cannot have everything. The broccoli is still producing like crazy. We are getting the purple cabbage now. Brussel sprouts are loaded and are beginning to be firm. Can't wait to taste a fresh Brussels sprout.

Peas are done and they did so so since it was hot earlier this year.

Blackberries are turning red so they are coming along great. Didn't get to harvest much from the blueberries but at least they made something. Usually takes several years and these are three years old now. They should do great next year.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:21 pm

So very pleased for you, that everything in your garden, apart from the cauliflower & peas, are doing so well for you, Glad. After all the effort you have put into your veggie garden you certainly have deserved this success. :bravo: Your pressure canner should be working flat out this summer & autumn. Have read that thinly-sliced Brussels sprouts will stir-fry well & taste extra good done this way, especially if mixed with other sliced greens. Do hope the beetles don't cause too much damage to your produce after all your hard work.

We shall be cheering on your tomatoes to be the first to ripen this year. :apgch: Nothing like a bit of healthy competition is there?? :lol3: All sounds excellent in your garden & I'll bet you will sleep well tonight. :sleepy:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:53 am

BigBilly has started a new topic showing his various veggies growing in containers, of all shapes & sizes, in Container Veggies & Herbs in the Potted Garden category, Glad.

Here is the link to it:- Veggies In Containers 2012
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 3:02 pm

I should be canning beans soon. Picking more than needed for a meal so will save up for canning by the end of the week.

Also picked the first of the cucumbers and wow are they ever sweet this year! Watering does pay off. I was happy for the rain at mid day today.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 3:13 pm

So very pleased for you as to how well your garden is producing, Glad. Fresh anything definitely tastes best, doesn't it?? Happy canning.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

Thanks Joy.

Will try to get a few more pictures in the next few days.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

That will be great, Glad. Would love to see how your garden is thriving.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

Still don't have new pictures but will get them soon.

Going to can beans tomorrow afternoon. Daughter coming over to help me. Should have a canner full and what is left over she will take home. I am very proud of the beans this year.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 5:12 pm

That's ok about the garden pics, Glad, we know you have much to do. You have every right to be proud of your beans as well as everything else in your veggie garden.

Happy canning. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:45 pm

We got exactly enough for a canner full and they all sealed!

What I pick tomorrow will cook this time.

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:44 pm