OUR IMAGES

Glad's 2012 Garden

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Glad's 2012 Garden

Post by Joy on Wed 02 May 2012, 3:18 pm

Good to hear, Glad. So pleased for you that the compost & burn project is coming along well, too. That will be a fantastic help for your veggie productivity. :bravo:

Post by Guest on Wed 02 May 2012, 4:27 pm

Glad, I love your garden! Love fresh grown produce. My dog would be pulling those carrots up though. :giggle:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 03 May 2012, 2:27 am

Thanks Marytaz. Hard to keep dogs out of gardens.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 06 May 2012, 10:59 pm

Your veg garden is lovely Glad! :) , you have done a wonderful job! it is so nice to see spacious gardens like this too! I love the close up of the berry flowers very pretty. Gosh you will have lots of eating to do :) well done!
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 06 May 2012, 11:02 pm

Thanks Dawn.

I have a few close up of my roses. Will try to post them soon.

Flowers seem to take a back seat for me anymore. Not enough time to take proper care of them.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 18 May 2012, 2:39 pm

I see I have not posted the flowers yet. Sorry, been really busy tending to the garden and also spring cleaning inside. I am really tired but it is a good kind of tire.

Son took a few more pictures about a week ago and I have them on photobucket. I will try to get them posted tomorrow. Even made myself a note right here at the computer.

Yesterday I took everything out of my walk in closet and cleaned it and today I cleaned the bedroom. Took a long time to get it done. Hopefully tomorrow will be garden picking time for beets. Some are ready. The peas are doing better since it has been slightly cooler. Mid 80's day and low 60's at night which make the peas happier for sure. They are making pods now.

Radishes are done and lettuce won't be much longer along with the spinach. We have eaten broccoli and the cabbage will soon be ready. Must take longer for cauliflower and bussel sprouts.

Squash is making little ones now so that is good. Cucumbers and tomatoes are blooming....also the beans.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 18 May 2012, 2:51 pm

My word, you have been busy, Glad but at least you are achieving something with all this hard work. That in itself would be satisfying. The veggie garden sounds very productive as well. All does looks good for you. :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 18 May 2012, 3:07 pm

That is great produce you are reaping, Glad. Don't worry Glad, the flower photos can wait! I really wish I had some vegetable growing land , especially when I look at what you and Billy manage to do. After the success of my tomatoes the bug has bitten.

Post by Guest on Fri 18 May 2012, 5:27 pm

Well done Glad, your veggies are giving you good rewards for all your efforts.

Its been a strange spring here and i am way behind where i would like to be, but we will get there in the end hopefully.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 27 May 2012, 4:09 am

I am going to try my best to get those pictures posted. Garden is taking up a lot of my time lately. There are beets and peas to pick this evening too!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 27 May 2012, 7:12 am

That's okay, Glad. :cool3: Your priorities are in the right order. Gardening does come first. :lol3: It is good to hear from you. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 27 May 2012, 8:34 am

I hope these aren't close to the others but are the pictures son took recently.

tomatoes

squash.....and the area you cannot see dirt now the bushes are so full....almost ready to pick

purple cabbage......almost ready now so plants are much larger

close up of the zucchini

close up of the broccoli....we have eaten a lot of it the last couple of weeks and babies are coming on where we picked

Going out in a few to take new pictures so you can compare.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 27 May 2012, 9:09 am

My word, Glad, everything is growing so quickly!!! It all looks so good. You are to be congratulated!! :bravo:

Thank your son for these lovely pics & thank you for posting them, Glad.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 28 May 2012, 6:46 am

I took the pictures late yesterday afternoon....lot looks the same only a bit bigger. I have them loaded to photobucket (which seem to take forever) and will get them posted here.

Was a busy evening last night. Pickled beets!
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 28 May 2012, 7:48 am

Lemon cucumbers

Carrots and a couple of volunteer potatoes to the left

Brussels sprouts in the fore front......they seem to be slow making and loaded.....going to have to learn how to harvest them

To the left is regular cucumbers vining up my make shift trellis out of rope......the right are the squash plants and behind the squash are peas which this year did not do as well due to the heat

Another angle of the squash and the peas

Purple cabbage making

Tomatoes

Close up of some of the peas

Sweet potatoes just beginning to spread

Sweet potatoes again

Blackberries starting to turn

okra

another view of the okra

I thought I had a later picture of the beans but must have forgotten.....will be sure to take one this week.

I am beginning to harvest some of the dill. That package from last year sure reproduced great. Well worth the almost $2!

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 28 May 2012, 8:07 am

Many thanks for posting these fantastic pics of your veggie garden, Glad. Photobucket doesn't make it easy to upload images so I really appreciate your efforts in doing so. :bravo:

Your garden does look so lush & productive & you must be very pleased with how it has turned out. All your hard work has certainly paid off. As for harvesting Brussels sprouts, well, not having ever grown them I am not sure, but, I do know they get quite bitter in taste if they are left to grow too big. Smaller is best for them. Here is a quote from the University of Illinois on harvesting Brussels sprouts.

"The small sprouts or buds form heads one to two inches in diameter. They may be picked (or cut) off the stem when they are firm and about one inch in size. The lower sprouts mature first. The lowermost leaves, if they have not been removed already, should be removed when the sprouts are harvested. Harvest sprouts before the leaves yellow."

A link to their site on growing them. Brussels Sprouts Apparently they are a long growing plant & will overwinter well under a heavy snow cover. The University seems to have a good extension site for growing veggies.

Last edited by Joy on Mon 28 May 2012, 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 28 May 2012, 8:11 am

Thanks for the link Joy....will check it out.

I checked the sprouts yesterday and they are not firm yet so I am ok.....and no yellow showing.

I also checked the cauliflower and small heads are under the leaves.

Broccoli is producing great as mentioned earlier.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 28 May 2012, 8:19 am

I bookmarked the page for further study.

It may be to hot on the plants now but according to the link they will do great in early fall. After reading the page I see that I could leave the plants over winter....will try that and see. My late spinach survived the winter this year but tasted bitter....so we will experiment.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 28 May 2012, 10:14 am

From a first quick look, Glad, it does appear as though the University of Illinois does have a good extension site for growing vegetables with plenty of worthwhile information on a wide range of various veggies. Although, you seem to be doing very well on your own. :bravo:

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 28 May 2012, 1:42 pm

Illinois is compared to Missouri especially where I am (Southeastern Missouri to Southern Illinois). Just a hop across the Mississippi River.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 28 May 2012, 2:52 pm

So pleased there is some similarities in the growing conditions then, Glad & that the information in these articles may be of some use to you. Not that you need any help now as you have become quite the expert in this field. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 28 May 2012, 11:00 pm

No I'm not an expert by all means but learn as I experiment.

I watched a fantastic film recently concerning heavy mulching and that is what I would really like to have in my garden. Less to no watering!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 29 May 2012, 7:40 am

Mulching is a really good idea for the home garden, Glad & it has been promoted here, in Australia, for a long time. It was a way to help drought-proof Australian gardens & make them less reliant on constant watering.

I have started a topic on mulching further down in this category in the General Garden Talk & Advice forum. It has links to sites which discuss this very beneficial topic. Here is the link.

Mulching
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 29 May 2012, 11:18 am

Thanks Joy!

I just came in the house with a dishpan full of cut broccoli! It is soaking in salt water just in case there are little green thingys in them. Salt will draw them out.

We had broccoli for dinner earlier from the last picking and boy is it good!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 29 May 2012, 1:33 pm

My 97 year old mother swears by broccoli, Glad. She eats large amounts of it, but isn't able to grow it herself, due to the lack of space where she lives. She would envy you with your lovely fresh broccoli.

Yes, it is, indeed, a good idea to soak it in salted water, as you never know what little creepy-crawly has made itself at home in amongst its flowerets. :lol!:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 29 May 2012, 1:57 pm

Just put the broccoli in plastic bags in frig. Will give the grands some tomorrow they love it.

My mother is still living also at age 92.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:39 pm