OUR IMAGES

Glad's 2012 Garden

Glad E Olah

default Re: Glad's 2012 Garden

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:45 pm

We got exactly enough for a canner full and they all sealed!

What I pick tomorrow will cook this time.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:28 pm

Your new pressure canner is working very well, Glad. :bravo: I'll bet you are very happy (& proud) of all those shiny glass jars full of lovely beans & rightfully so.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 1:16 pm

I will have enough beans to can a full canner once again. Will try to get that done tomorrow.

I picked the first lemon cucumber today. Wasn't sure if it was ready or not for it was pale yellow. Thought it should be darker yellow....but when son and I shared it the inside was definitely ready to eat. Strange the skin was kinda fussy too. Never grew them before so this is a challenge for sure. Will get a close up picture when I get a few more than one.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

Your beans are very definitely productive, Glad. :bravo: It seems there will be plenty to see you through the winter months.

Have never heard of lemon cucumbers but we used to be able to buy apple cucumbers which were apple-shaped & were white skinned. Tasted yummy. Did notice that if they were yellow-skinned then they tended to taste bitter as if they were "over-ripe". Yours sound as if they were just right. :D Have just Googled them & the advice was not to let them get too yellow as the seeds will get hard (&, probably, bitter). The fuzz was mentioned & it seems it rubs off under water. Do know that some cucumbers do have some prickles which rub off. All said the lemon cucumbers tasted good.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:39 am

I am enjoying those lemon or apple cucumbers (I think they must be the same) and yes the more yellow they are the more bitter they get.

Joy, I am wearing myself out watering my garden. Have made a decision to water the most productive items right now. Lots of the veggies are about done so to water those would be wasting the water. The temp reached 103 this afternoon and no rain in site. My garden is taking a toll. I did not get any blackberries this year. Even with soaking the vines the berries were shriveled and sour. And they looked great a couple of weeks ago. Very disappointed! But that is life.

I am not in the best of spirits currently. My mother is having some tummy troubles. She has a mass and not known if it is cancer or not until they do further tests. I want to visit her.....but I suffer from a similar problem caused from my diabetes. Traveling will be hard to do. Planes do not wait if you have to visit the restroom all the time. I have talked to my mother about this and she does not want me traveling the 1500 miles. I must come to terms that I may not get to see her but talking on the phone is very helpful.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

It would seem to be great cucumber weather for you, Glad. Lovely & juicy straight from the garden.

That is a wise decision to leave off watering the veggie plants which are now ending their productive life & concentrating on looking after those which are still producing well. It is too hot for you to be standing out in the sun wasting time, effort & money on watering the ones which are finished. Seem to have remembered reading somewhere about gardeners complaining that their blackberries weren't that good in some years. So maybe they can tend to fluctuate with good years & bad years. Hope this is the case & that yours will do great next year.

Sorry to hear your mother has some health issues. These are scary at any age but it is more so when they are in their nineties. Do hope the tests will turn out to be ok. It must be a worry with you not being able to travel to see her. We know all about the "needing to go" problems with diabetes. Some diabetic medication can cause this & it can take quite a while for the body to adapt. Bruiser was prescribed Nexium to assist with these difficulties, although he no longer needs to take it which is good. He said it was wonderful.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

Joy, the heat (temps from 100 degrees to 110 degrees) have done most of the garden in. There is always next year and possibly this fall. No sense fretting now and like you say I will take care of me first instead of getting out watering so much.

The tea plants are hurt bad. I looked on the net for info....they cannot withstand much heat past 95 degrees. I have watered them extra good so perhaps the roots will be ok and they might come out of it.

I stay in touch with my mother a lot more now (she is is good spirits by the way) and she told me to take some of those dried tea leaves and boil them to see if they taste ok. I may do that tomorrow. Those leaves are brown on the plants.

As far as the blackberries.....I stopped watering and picking. Even with water the berries are dried up. So that is that. I may go ahead an pick some and boil them for juice and make jelly. A little won't hurt once in awhile.

I am trying something with my metformin.....taking the same amount during 24 hour period but splitting the dosage. Instead of two at a time taking one at a time. This means I have to eat more often but the bathroom visits are much better. Not saying anymore with this matter not the place for such things LOL

I would take so pictures of the garden in this stress but stress is something I do not need even looking at pictures. I will remember what my garden looked like a couple of months ago and be happy. It was a fairly good garden and got my money's worth. And will plant a fall garden of a few things when the time comes....maybe in about 4-5 weeks from now.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 8:45 am

Your summer heat & lack of rain will have finished most of your veggie plants, that's for sure, Glad. That is a shame but it cannot be helped & there is nothing more you could have done. Your mulching would have enabled your garden to have lasted longer than those which weren't mulched. A late garden may be a viable solution, too. It seems as though early & late is the way to go for you with your summer heat. :D

Tea plants do tend to be grown in the cooler wet highlands of tropical Asia so dry heat may not be quite to their taste, I suppose, but yours have survived your winters so they are probably fairly hardy. With your wonderful TLC, hopefully they will cope with this hot spell.

Maybe your blackberries will improve by autumn as I seem to remember them as a late summer, early autumn fruiter. If not, perhaps next year........... I love warm-from-the-sun blackberries picked straight from a wild-grown thicket but here they are sprayed as a weed & are too dangerous to try to eat, which is a shame.

Bruiser is also on metformin & he said the dosage size can make a big difference re the side effects. :)

Yes, it is better for you to remember what your garden looked like when it was happy & healthy. No point in taking pics of it when it is not at its best. Pleased to hear it produced enough for you to recoup your expenses plus there were all the health benefits, too. It has done well for you. :bravo:

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 1:17 pm

Thanks Joy and guess what!

We got rain today! A good shower. So the garden may come out of it.

The temps are to stay over 100 most of the coming week during the day so the moisture will evaporate. But it was wonderful while it lasted and I appreciated the rain we got.

I am doing better taking the metformin more often like 4 times a day instead of 2 times a day 500 mg each with the total the same 2000mg for the day. I did this on my own without discussion with doctor but I have talked to him in the past about this. The only problem I do have to have a small amount of food before taking the metformin.

Will let you know about the garden.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

Great news about the rain, Glad. That must be where our rain finally went. LOL Your garden will benefit from it, even if was only short lasting.

Bruiser takes the same dosage of metformin (as Diabex ER), but takes his all at once after dinner. He can now handle that & no longer needs the Nexium. I think his dose used to be higher but he was getting hypos so it was decreased. It isn't easy to get the right dose regime, is it??

Do hope your garden does pick up.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

Thanks Joy. Yes the garden will perk up hopefully with less heat this week.

do I understand it correctly....Bruiser takes 2000 mg after dinner?

I am off for a goodnight's sleep early tonight.

Be back sometime during my tomorrow.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 2:23 pm

Hope you have a good night's sleep, Glad. :D

Yes, that is correct, Bruiser takes FOUR 500mg ER tabs after dinner. Think he used to take some in the morning, as well, but it was too much.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 6:48 pm

I slept well the few hours I was in bed but at 2 am mine time was wide awake.

Hope this is not a new pattern with me.

That sure is a lot of metformin at one time. But if that is how it is to be taken then that is it. I am hoping I am doing the right thing by spreading mine out more. Blood sugars are the same as before so that is the main thing. I know one thing for sure it has been a nice change in the ladies room department.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 10:31 am

Do hope you do not get into the same sleeping pattern as Bruiser, Glad, such as being wide awake in the wee small hours of the AM. :O

The current dosage seems to work for him but you almost need a knife & fork to take them as the ones he is prescribed are very large, capsule-shaped tablets. They are XR or extended release. When he was prescribed Nexium that really did make a huge difference in his day-to-day activities. As I mentioned, he no longer needs to take Nexium as everything has settled down.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:49 am

The grands are here and I just cut up 10 tomatoes for them to eat! (4 kids....tomatoes were average size) This was an afternoon snack.

Very hot outside and we are inside to keep cool. Grandson and I did venture out and picked three dishpans full of tomatoes. They are doing good with the dab of rain we had and the 100 + temps!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:01 am

Great to hear your tomatoes are still doing well & providing you with a decent crop, Glad. I'll bet your grandkids enjoyed the fresh toms, especially with all the heat you are having. :D

Post by Guest on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 2:00 am

Wish we could swop some of your heat for some of our rain Glad, hardly seen the sun for weeks now and some of the veggies are suffering a bit.
    Hope you have good news about your mum.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 2:13 am

Thanks BBilly. Going to call her right now. I try to talk to her everyday or at least every other day.
    Weather forecast for Monday is a cool down. Sure hope so. Also I too wish we could swap heat and rain with each other. That would be nice.

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:26 pm