OUR IMAGES

"Vegas Lights" Phlox

Dawn

default Re: "Vegas Lights" Phlox

Post by Dawn on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 8:13 pm

yes I remember your first batch , they do, do very well there. I tried some Namaqualand daisies when you mentioned your last batch of phlox. Thought I would try indigenous first. They came to nothing but I see the pot I used from last year have sprouted something this year from the seeds in there last year, it will be interesting to see what happens now.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 9:07 pm

Had to Google Namaqualand daisies, Dawn & they are absolutely stunning. There are so many striking colours & you know how I :love: bright colours. :smile: That is a shame yours came to nothing but it will be very interesting to see what the new sprouts become. ;)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 03 Jun 2010, 8:34 am

They are lovely if you have a big rambling garden with lots of space it is easy to fill large beds. I lived over the road to someone who every year sowed hundreds of seeds and filled a huge bed running up the full length of her drive way. Every year as they went off she would collect all that seed and replant the next year. She used to mix the seed with sand so she could spread it easy. So my little bowl was not a challenge at the time or so I thought hee hee. But it was maybe because I never kept them wet enough once they were in. because really here they grow like a weed. The countryside has huge fields of them growing for miles sometimes. Further north that is of course.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Jun 2010, 11:52 am

We don't have the big open areas here where wildflowers would abound like they do over in Western Australia. Bush is the norm here with any open spaces coming from clearing for farmland, housing & when the extensive red cedar forests were cut down long before there were environmental considerations. :mad:

Those flowers must put on a wonderful show when they are all out. :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 10:31 am

A couple of weeks ago, the poor "Vegas Lights" phlox were a bit battered from, heavy rain & some wind but they soon bounced back. Cannot believe just how well these flowers cope with winter, though it is a mild one. They do look so perky in the sun.

These images are from just after all the rain. There are quite a few patches which have no flowers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 10:33 am

This image almost looks 3D with the two or three flowers sharp & the rest all fuzzy. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 10:35 am

Some of the cream flowers. These were the real surprise as the previous lot os seeds didn't have this shade.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 10:37 am

Twelve days later they have popped out more flowers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 10:38 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 10:38 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 Aug 2010, 10:39 am

An image of some of the different shades of this batch of "Vegas Lights" phlox seeds.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Aug 2010, 8:51 pm

An image of the "Vegas Lights" phlox in the winter sun. It is a wonderful flower blooming all through winter.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Oct 2010, 9:34 pm

This such an amazing little flower. "D They bounced right back from the wind & rain, after losing quite a few flowers, & look nearly as good as new. They must be getting tired by now but show no signs of stopping flowering right now, even after 10 months of non-stop flowering. :dance: :clap:

They are starting to look a bit scruffy up at the top where its leaves have disappeared. :lol2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 9:25 pm

Think the "Vegas Lights" phlox are coming to the end of their flowering, though there are still plenty of flowers still arriving. It is just that some stems have died off & the top ends (or bottom) of the stems are bare & dry looking. They are still flowering, though & the leaves with the flowers are lovely & green. Have more seeds to plant when these wonderful plants do stop their stoic flowering.

Here is today's pic.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Nov 2010, 9:39 pm

These are close up of one of the clusters of the cream "Vegas Lights" phlox flowers. The first lot of seeds we grew did not have this colour. It will be interesting to see if the next lot we grow have them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Nov 2010, 9:41 pm

The white & mauve flowers. These never seem to be in as large clusters as the other colours. They do stand out though.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Nov 2010, 9:43 pm

The most dominant "Vegas Lights" phlox colour, the bright & cheerful cherry red & white. These are a pretty flower.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 10 Nov 2010, 5:07 pm

Do believe the "Vegas Lights" phlox is coming to the end of its wonderfully bright & cheery display. :( It is looking very ordinary & rather daggy, poor thing. :therethere:

When they are definitely finished I shall replace the potting mix & resow some more seeds for next year's happy show. :cool:

Post by Guest on Fri 20 May 2011, 12:58 am

Joy what would you attribute to the new colour plant?

Did all the seeds germinate last planting?

I'm trying to think what could pollinate and change a colour when no cream was evident with the first seed sprouting.

I hope you come up with an answer as it is interesting.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 20 May 2011, 10:11 am

All these are grown from bought seed, Scottie, as any seed from these flowers would be so tiny I'd never be able to gather it. Haven't noticed any phlox plants sprouting up in our yard so I don't think any of its seeds are viable. Actually, I haven't even noticed any seeds from them at all.

The different colours come from different seeds in the mix. The packet image just shows the cherry coloured flowers, though, so when the other colours & shades arrive it comes as quite a surprise.

The germination rate from the bought seed is excellent, with most seeming to sprout. It is hard to tell exactly because the seeds are tiny & have to be sown in situ, as these plants do not like to be transplanted. I grow them in a long container & just sprinkle them onto the potting mix & cover lightly with some more mix. Then wait. The last lot, I used supermarket plastic carrybags, as a type of "glasshouse", to help the germination process. It worked as they sprouted much earlier than the first lot.

Still have two packets of seeds which I must sow soon but I don't have much room for that at the moment, unfortunately. Luckily for us, they seem to grow all year round here.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 2:32 pm

I know this is an older thread but I sure want to get phlox growing in my yard next year.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 3:18 pm

These are a wonderful & resilient miniature type of phlox, Glad. We love them as they are a great & colourful winter flowering plant here. Unfortunately, we don't have much room for more of them, atm,  although I do have a packet of seed which will be viable until August 2014. Good to know their seed is good for quite a while. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:00 pm

yes that is great to know.....I am using veggie seeds that are quite old too.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:40 am