OUR IMAGES

BIRDS THAT VISIT MY GARDEN

Dawn

default Re: BIRDS THAT VISIT MY GARDEN

Post by Dawn on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 10:13 pm

Hi Billy, hope you are all well, I was wondering if you could tell me what you feed the wild birds that come to your garden. We only really had one kind of wild seed that I used to buy back in CT and here I see there is such a great assortment of food one can buy, one that I remember was called mealworm. It is quite pricey to try them all out, so thought I could ask someone like yourself.  My neighbour puts out bread,  but it seems to attract a lot of seagulls , probably because we are near the coast.  I feel there are enough seagulls around, so am looking for something that will attract the smaller birds any ideas would be really appreciated. We have just set up a bird feeding station, with three hanging containers. We only assembled it yesterday so they haven't yet had the courage to use it. Many !   :thanks:

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 5:31 pm

HI Dawn,
     Sorry for the delay in replying, but have been away.

I feed fat balls, peanuts and slices of bread all in round wire hanging feeders, but the fat ball one
    has a bigger mesh than the other two. ( will take some pics)  but I also feed a mixed corn feed
    on slabs under the feeders.But you could  put that in feeders as well.
     Unfortunately I have a bit of a cat problem so I have a square wire mesh surrounding the slabs.

The hawk/raptor you had a visit from could have been a sparrow hawk, we have one that comes
    to us at the moment, they have young now to feed so are quite keen and will dive into the hedge or
    bushes in pursuit of small birds, and are very fast.

Hope this is helpful.  pics to follow.

default Feeders & feed

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 6:58 pm

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 7:06 pm

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 7:08 pm

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 7:12 pm

Sparrow hawk after the birds.

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 7:21 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 8:01 pm

wow lovely set up Bbilly , you have gone to a lot of trouble to deter the cats, That cement slab is ideal. At the moment mine is on the lawn as the place we bought the feeder from had no heavy stands in stock, so it is spiked into the ground,  but we aim to move it as soon as we get a stand, we are worried the seed will sprout in the lawn. There is only one cat  here that I see but I think he will stay away because of the dogs .. well hopefully for two reasons as my dogs do not like cats.  What  a good idea putting the bread into the wire feeder that never even crossed my mind, brilliant ! My hanging feeder looks the same as yours. It may sound a bit crazy, but as far as feeding the birds is concerned I am looking forward to the winter. I think there is plenty food around at the moment so looks like they are not as keen. I see them eating berries off bushes etc ? but as Joy says the word needs to get around too ! :) Thanks for all the gen on the food. It is going to be interesting to see if we get different birds in our garden in this area to your area. ? a bird book for this area is the next thing on my agenda  many  :thanks:  for all the great photos and info  :good: . and I nearly forgot that is the raptor that was on the garden fence, I am glad I saw him he is a fine looking bird, just hope I do not witness any attacks :) .thanks!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:38 am

Great bird feeding set up you have, BigBilly with such a good variety of food for the various types of birds. Apart from the fact we aren't allowed to feed our birds, most of the ones in our yard are either honeyeaters or insect &/or bug eaters with just some turtle doves as grass seed foragers. 

Strangely when we did have our parrot seed feeder the honeyeater lorikeets & grub/bug eating peewees used to love the seed.  :lol3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 12:25 pm

Beautiful pictures.

A robin has built a nest (has eggs in it) in my blackberries.  The berries are in the green to turning red stage now so hopefully the eggs will hatch and the babies grown before we start picking.  We won't bother the nest but we will go ahead and pick the berries around the nest.  It is at eye level and will get a picture to post in a few days.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 4:16 pm

That is great to hear, Glad. Robins are such lovely little birds aren't they & will be busy catching insects from your garden.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:08 pm

wonderful Glad, I read somewhere that they Robins build their nests low. Usually in hedges etc. special that you get to see them so close up. I would really love to see your photos ! enjoy harvesting your berries !  :cool3:

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Jul 2014, 4:12 pm

The partridge came into the garden with six chicks a couple of days ago.

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Jul 2014, 4:15 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Jul 2014, 5:18 pm

What great images, BigBilly.  :D  Good captures too. Mrs Partridge is a very attactive bird & must feel very safe in your garden to bring her babies for a visit & a feed. 

Many thanks for posting these pics. Love them.  :love:
    granny

Post by granny on Wed 16 Jul 2014, 4:36 am

:thanks: Thanks for the partridge pictures!!  They are so cute. 

Granny

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 16 Jul 2014, 5:38 am

very special photos BB thanks for sharing them  :cheers: .

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm