OUR IMAGES

BIRDS THAT VISIT MY GARDEN

default Re: BIRDS THAT VISIT MY GARDEN

Post by Guest on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 5:20 am

The first of the summer migrants in the garden, the aptly named Blackcap.
    The mesh is up because of cat problems.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 5:46 am

Thanks for showing us your birdies BB love em!
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 5:48 am

Backyard galah cam is live in our front garden at the moment and there will be different views of our place until next wednesday here is the url: www.backyardgalahcam.com.au
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 7:58 am

What a beautiful little bird, BigBilly. Thank you for showing it to us. You do attract many different birds to your garden & they are very well treated.

What is it with those who have cats? They seem to have their heads in the sand when it comes to acknowledging the damage to the wildlife a cat can inflict. (No, not my lovely pussycat. My Fluffy wouldn't do that. Oh yes it would.) It's not as if domestic cats need to hunt for food, they do it for pleasure. Cats should be kept indoors & only let outdoors on a leash. My mother trained one of her cats to accept a leash & it was quite comfortable with it. Trouble is many people think cats should be let outside at night. Why I don't know. Good way to get your cat killed in a fight or by traffic.

Anyhow, time to get back off my soapbox, BB & say how pleased I am your bird friends are relatively safe from predation in your wonderful garden. :bravo:

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Apr 2013, 5:31 am

A sure sign of spring,a swallow on the aerial.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 25 Apr 2013, 7:30 am

Ah, it looks very much like our little Welcome swallow, BigBilly. Ours are here all year round though. That was a terrific capture. We would be lucky to be able to get a pic of one because they are so quick & so small.

The Welcome swallows would try & nest on Bruiser's trawler when he had it. :lol3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:25 pm

Thanks for these Billy, I love the swallows and re: the blackcap it is a first for me to see it, so I Googled and found this link that was posted in Jan 2013. I hope you are ok with me putting up a link on your thread. The article is very interesting.

black cap

Post by Guest on Fri 03 May 2013, 5:39 pm

The partridge pair are regular visitors.

Post by Guest on Fri 03 May 2013, 5:44 pm

A present for the partner, male sparrow with a feather for the nest.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 03 May 2013, 5:47 pm

What an attractive bird the partridge is, BigBilly. It has such striking markings on its plumage. Great shot of the cock sparrow, too. That feather is bigger than he is. :lol3: What a couple of fantastic captures they are. Excellent shots.

Thank you for posting these lovely pics, BB.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 03 May 2013, 6:19 pm

Thanks for sharing these Billy they are wonderful shots. I would like to ask a favour of you. I would like to share the sparrow with the feather pic ? no problem if you would rather I not :)I would understand. But if you don't mind sharing can you send it to me via email. Hoping this isn't too much a cheeky request on my part :)

Post by Guest on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 6:25 am

The partridge that used to come to the feeders turned up in the neighbors garden a few weeks ago with twelve
    chicks. 

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 7:13 am

TWELVE chicks!!!! Boy, that certainly would have kept her busy trying to keep them all safe. Do hope she will be successful & that most of them will survive. Thankfully such chicks seem to grow quickly. Our masked lapwing chicks do.

Thank you for this great shot, BigBilly. It would not have been an easy one to get. :)
    granny

Post by granny on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 12:31 am

:smile: Thanks for the picture of the partridge family!!:goodone:   Granny

Post by Guest on Mon 14 Apr 2014, 5:04 pm

A rare visitor to the garden, female pheasant.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Apr 2014, 5:42 pm

What a lovely bird, BigBilly. It would have been a great pleasure to see such a beautiful creature in your garden. Fantastic photo too, by the way. Top shot!!

Thanks again for posting your great pics.

Post by Guest on Mon 21 Apr 2014, 4:43 pm

The pair together.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 21 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm

What a beautiful bird, BigBilly. He is very handsome & colourful. Mrs Pheasant has good taste. Wouldn't be great if they nested in your garden? 

Many thanks for te great pic, BB.

Post by Guest on Thu 24 Apr 2014, 4:35 am

Crowing to say this is my patch.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 24 Apr 2014, 10:47 am

Wow!! Top shot, BigBilly. Fantastic capture. He certainly is King of the veggie patch.  :lol3: 

Thanks for posting this great image. It's wonderful.  :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 6:19 am

Yes  top shot ! wow ! wonderful ! wonderful shots  BigBilly ! They must love your garden they look so comfortable :) .

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 4:41 pm

Thanks for the comments Joy & Dawn. We do feel lucky to have the birds visit us as they do. Would be great if they nested in the garden
    but I don't think there's the right sort of place for the female to put her nest on the ground.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

That is a shame, BigBilly. It would be great to see them nest but is your garden is a wee bit too open for her, even though there is plenty of vegetation?

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:09 pm

Yes Joy not enough rough old patches with dead vegitation where she could hide her nest.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:29 pm

Oh, so your garden is just too tidy for her, BigBilly? Seems she likes mess & old dead stuff. No wonder she is the colour she is as she would blend in perfectly in such surrounds.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 10:13 pm

Hi Billy, hope you are all well, I was wondering if you could tell me what you feed the wild birds that come to your garden. We only really had one kind of wild seed that I used to buy back in CT and here I see there is such a great assortment of food one can buy, one that I remember was called mealworm. It is quite pricey to try them all out, so thought I could ask someone like yourself.  My neighbour puts out bread,  but it seems to attract a lot of seagulls , probably because we are near the coast.  I feel there are enough seagulls around, so am looking for something that will attract the smaller birds any ideas would be really appreciated. We have just set up a bird feeding station, with three hanging containers. We only assembled it yesterday so they haven't yet had the courage to use it. Many !   :thanks:

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm