OUR IMAGES

Winter Sowing 2012

default Winter Sowing 2012

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 8:05 am

I thought I would start a Winter Sowing topic. :cold:

Every year I tell myself "I'm never going to do this again" and every year I do it anyway. Soooo.....

I have a couple milk containers saved so far and I am trying to decide what to start. Its so :coolsign: to peer into your containers after they have been totally covered in snow to find little sprouts just waiting...

Does anyone else do Winter Sowing?

default Re: Winter Sowing 2012

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:24 am

Well I have 4 milk containers saved....now just trying to decide what to sow in them.

Its kinda hard to Winter Sow when you don't have any snow to cover up the containers.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:30 am

Its kinda hard to Winter Sow when you don't have any snow to cover up the containers

:donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:59 am

How is the snow now, Justy?? Enough to do some winter sowing. This is something Glad could do too, if she knew about it. BigBilly does get some snow, but don't how much & for how long, though.

Post by Guest on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

Joy...we have no snow. We keep getting a few inched here and there, but then it melts away the next day. This is NOT normal for me here at all.

I still have my milk jugs and I was planning on getting some dirt this weekend. It still is getting below freezing at night so maybe they would still work?? What do you think??

Glad???...Have you heard of winter sowing?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 4:49 pm

The advice from the subtropics where I live, Justy, is just give it a go. :lol2: Your winter has certainly been strange, just like our so-called summer.

I am sure Glad would like to learn about it, but she is probably busy at her own forum, at the moment.

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:33 am

You know something funny?? I had given up on a few of my jugs last year, some of what I had sowed, after looking up what the foliege liked like, to me it just looked like weeds and I just kinda set them off to the side and left them all summer, and the only water they got came from the rain.

Well, I happened to look over at the jug that had Sweet William (mixed color tall)) in it, and can you believe that the jug was growing!!! :apgw: I took some pictures of it today its still trying to grow in the milk container, but I'm sure its little roots need more space, I mean its been in that little container for a year now :donald:

I guess what is growing might not really be the Sweet William, I'll post the picture of the poor thing in a little bit and maybe you can tell me what you think it is? :??:

Last edited by justme on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:38 am

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:41 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:54 am

:donald: Do think it looks like sweet william, Justy, from what I can recollect. In the second pic there seems to be a lonely, small spindly weed growing on the left of the pic.

Sweet william is a tough plant & there must be enough soil there for it in the milk jug. Fancy it surviving like that. :cool3: It just goes to show. It sure will be interesting to see if it flowers & the way your weather has been lately, that could be soon. :lol:

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:40 am

Well I had better for sure get some dirt this weekend. Maybe I'll try and repot the poor little thing and in the process remove that little weed :donald:

Your right about my weather..my Daffs are up 2 or 3 inches and I can see the 'grass' of my Crocus.

Whats going to be bad is the Moles...they have trails ALL over the place. :grr:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:50 am

Spring certainly has sprung at your place, Justy. :yes: Glad we do not have pesky moles burrowing everywhere. They must be a real pain in the garden. :aargh: :mad: :whack!:

Post by Guest on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:20 am

It has sprung Joy, and those pesky moles :grr:

A couple of years ago I had planted about 75 tulip bulbs in what I call my front horseshoe...well the very next day I followed a mole trail that went clean thru where I had just planted all those tulips. That made me so mad, I spent a lot of time planting all those bulbs.
    good thing though, it didnt seem to hurt the bulbs and they bloomed just fine.

Last year the moles did the same thing when I planted my Zinnia's from seed. Stupid mole went right thru the middle of them, and they also bloomed anyway...phew

I think the moles just love it when you losen up the soil for them :grr: :grr:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:46 am

:lol2: Freshly dug up soil would make it easier for the moles to tunnel, Justy, that's for sure. :lol3: So happy that your bulbs & seeds were left alone but the dreaded moles can make a mess of your lawns & gardens, can't they?? Or so I am led to believe. :sun:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 11:01 am

Hey I might have to try this.....but right now winter is about over! :lol:

I have tons of milk jugs too!

Thanks for pointing me in this direction Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

Will have to ask Justy about the directions on how to do this, Glad. It has been successful for those who have tried winter sowing.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 1:46 pm

Have found a couple of YouTube videos which may be of assistance in learning how to winter sow.

Winter Sowing Containers

Winter Sowing

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:35 pm